Why are people going air in 1v1s?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, February 9, 2015.

1. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

>stalling energy
    >ever
    l0l
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I really appreciate the long post, I think I'm still stuck in the mind set of this games past balance, in which at the time basically everyone had one factory constantly churning out fabricators, and going negative didn't matter with well.. Enough fabricators. XD

I'll try to get into learning to find more usage with less fabs, and to remember energy... Energy is a thing I constantly forget to build, but in my most recent games have really tried to press myself to build energy more, earlier.

Again, Elodea thanks for the analysis. :D
    websterx01, zihuatanejo and elodea like this.
  3. squishypon3

Double post but I wanted to point out the irony, those were all game I won... Imagine the ones I t? =P
    elodea likes this.
  4. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

No offence bro, but you spend all of your time on the forums and you can't even play the game!

No point in playing silver players and wondering why they do what they do, they are not very good either!

Now. What you really need to learn is how to LEARN how to play the game. Rule number 1, you don't create a thread on this forum. Rule number 2: you ask the person that just beat you for advise. Rule number 3: You watch the replay and copy as close as possible what the guy that beat you did.

When I first started playing 1v1 I was shocked too that I had no idea how to play the game at all! I was building too much energy, and too many fabbers and all of the other pitfalls. Just copy the people that beat you, always ask for advice, and always watch the replay. I got to a Platinum ranking in no time using this method and didn't once use the forum for advice.
  5. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

The fabber spam. The unkown bane of many many players.
  6. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

can we all please agree that ARM is the coolest
    eroticburrito and theseeker2 like this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Never.
    stuart98, cdrkf and nateious like this.
  8. bengeocth

heathen
    eroticburrito, theseeker2 and igncom1 like this.
  9. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Hey Squishy, I play at that kind of level (recently promoted to gold whoopee!) best thing to counter that air thing is to build a couple of air facs, and spam fighters on patrol. Use them to guard your tanks, which we assume matey has not built coz he was too busy building bombers. Use said tanks to steam roll the scrub. JD.
    Oh, and trying to go orbital also can pay off.
  10. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Oh, and the only good arm unit, was a dead one.
    stuart98, cdrkf and igncom1 like this.
  11. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Core all day erry day
  12. squishypon3

I couldnt play for months, I had terrible internet, and a terrible computer, not to mention the moving process.

I used to be quite the player in Beta and Gamma, but balance has changed so so so much.

Edit: Okay so I feel I must defend myself, everything you see me doing currently is because of past balance, back in Beta/Gamma doing what I'm doing was okay, one factory constantly pumping out fabbers was the norm, and nobody was too worried about going negative in energy/metal because with enough fabricators it didn't even matter, as you could just speed build things.

I just haven't really got to play this game for months, because I lived outside of a tiny town in Indiana with 14mbps down and a 10GB limit or so... Only time I could POSSIBLY play is at night, but I need my sleep! And no matter what download rate I still had a set 700+ ping due to having satellite internet.

Also I find it curious that you suggest I follow the strats of the other silver players, considering you said their strats are bad, not to mention all the games Elodea was reviewing were games I had won, but had a bit of difficulty.
    Last edited: February 10, 2015
  13. infowars

infowars Member

I have a mate here who would disagree with that. Only got one eye though.

I always find it funny that Cavedog's approach to "Mmm, we messed up with flash/peewee ak/instigator balance. I kno! New unit."
    [​IMG]
    It was slow, didn't have much range, nor armour, but the cannon fired off an explosion that would blat peewee's and flash tanks easy peasy. I used them like mobile turrets. Worked well with sumo's/the cans until you could get your builders in for some GAAT guns/missile towers/punishers.

Uberhacks approach to balance was to speed up the turret tracking animation for the AK's and instigator, give them the same red laser weapon (because of that piffy 256 weapon ID limit) and then AK's and Peewees were on par with one another, like they bloody well should be.
    nateious likes this.
  14. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

my spiderbots do not approve of your krogoths, core scum
  15. nateious

nateious Active Member

Ah Uberhack, so many memories of awesome games past.
  16. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Well I think those units were more that they saw the writing on the wall and starting chucking out every unit and map they still had.

Also, I recall that Instigators and AKs were slightly better than the Flash and Peewee in Uberhack because they did their damage up front.
  17. tiberiusxix

tiberiusxix New Member

Pretty much this. I've recently returned as well and am having the same issues. Learning!

Also

Core > all
  18. bengeocth

You guys want to download gameranger and settle this in a huge TA team game, ARM vs CORE? Let's do it m8s. ARM will rek you
  19. squishypon3

I'd be up for it.
    cdrkf and bengeocth like this.
  20. bengeocth

I'll start a thread in Unrelated Discussion
    cdrkf likes this.