Longer games are more fun IMO, I like longer games.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, February 8, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Why is it that everytime i start up PA, Uber proceeds to take a big dump all over my hopes and dreams.

I haven't had one fun game in PA in forever.

I can't have fun since the unit cannon was introduced.

there is legitemately no counter to it.

I was armed to the teeth with air, umbrellas, bombers, anchors and ground turrets yet still none of that matters since the commander is just a piece of corn waiting to pop and t2 bots are just a couple degrees above average.
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

fight aggression with aggression, take out the unit cannons, those things are expensive as hell

Also how "Long" are you talking?

Because i have been in games that have lasted more then an hour IN 1v1 RANKED O.O
    bengeocth likes this.
  3. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

If I could have a game mode where killing the commander doesn't end the game, I would be sooooo happy....
    corteks, Pendaelose, nlaush and 2 others like this.
  4. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

have you tried surrounding your commander with double walls?
  5. tatsujb

yup
  6. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Have you tried placing a minefield around your commander?
    DalekDan likes this.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Longer games are only fun when the sim speed is at 100% and even then they're only fun when you're playing and are almost never fun to watch.
  8. tatsujb

i'll try that, but i think it'll just remove a couple bots from the flock. nothing efficient. you don't get to replentish your minefiled while more stuff is incoming.
  9. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

#nerfUnitCannon! (Otherwise @tatsujb hopes and dreams will continue to be pood all over:eek:)
    Pendaelose and tatsujb like this.
  10. tatsujb

thank you ! :)
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  11. destravous

destravous Member

I survived something like 12+ or so simultainius unit cannon attacks on my commander: snipers. Like a few hundred is what did the trick. (Though they werent exactly on target, like a t1 factory away from my com). I also had a sxx parked above my com for just such an occasion.

I then proceeded to win by dropping 20 sxx and a few hundred fighters on his com.

That was a fun FFA..we both started on the metal planet, and he took over/fortified 90% of the surface area with anchors fighters etc. I did the same on the other 10%. Only way I won was cause I went for the gas giant around this time and held off long enough to do the sxx drop.
  12. destravous

destravous Member

I honestly think that's a good thing. Long games are fun, short games are alright, but stalemates absolutely suck.
    It might need a little tweeking...perhaps alwase visible? It is sorta in the game ender/superweapon category when spammed...
  13. ReddWolff

ReddWolff Member

Me too!
    destravous likes this.
  14. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

Has anyone done testing as to how many umbrellas to stop how many unit cannons? I remember reading they had an anti drop pod weapon added, but haven't really seen it in action. They have enough range that it seems like building them up around your commander could help a lot.

My phone is cruel, it auto corrected droppod to drop kid. Weird.
  15. tatsujb

that is of course wrong.

given half-decent players there is :
    1. no such thing as a stalemate.
    2. no long games in PA
    even WITHOUT the unit cannon.

the balance in this game caters to noobs and it's quite enough of that by now.
  16. destravous

destravous Member

In 1v1's long games can result if both players are evenly matched and their starting positions have some distance between them.

A stalemate can result(or used too, atm its virtually impossible) if both players are on different planets and have them locked down. Right now this is practically impossible as given enough unit cannons you can usually get through defences eventually.

However I assumed we were talking about ffa's as that's usually the game mode where unitcannons can be a little op, which is why I suggested them be alwase visible like hallies/catlysts .
  17. elvisior

elvisior Member

I like long eb and flow games as well like the one I was just having .. until it crashed.. :(
  18. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

If you aren't being aggressive and attacking their unit cannons then you deserve the units to break through. With the introduction of unit cannons, it has changed gameplay and made it harder to turtle. And with anchors and sxx's getting a buff, we're looking at an anti planet lockdown patch if you ask me. They're removing stalemates from PA. You gotta fight fire with fire.
    Tripod27, DalekDan and destravous like this.
  19. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

I think the current balance and speed of the game is influenced by the fact that we don't have a save feature. It's hard to have long games when you have to play it all in one sitting. Maybe Uber will give it another think after we get the save function.
  20. tatsujb

do you know what "snipping" is? you don't sound like you do.
    there's no such thing as stalemates, you !!!!!
    will the real noobs please stand up? please stand up?
    Last edited: February 9, 2015