Metal Planet shoots to fast?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by goofyz3, February 6, 2015.

1. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

Can the metal planet shoot a little bit slower. You have 10 seconds and then 4 or 5 planets are dead. Its just a little bit too fast.

First response below: Get to the metal planet first and don't whine! Next topic!
  2. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

Get to the metal planet first and don't whine! Next topic!
    I agree. In the launch trailer it shows a concentrated orb of energy being formed before shooting the laser and destroying the planet. I don't see that anymore. The metal planet should aim at the planet, form the energy ball, and then stay there for a little bit, 'staring' at the target planet. And then fire. It would allow time for a counter attack, as well as build tension and desperation to destroy the catalysts. It'd make a much better climax.
    eroticburrito, iron71, xankar and 3 others like this.
  3. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Also a little recharge time would be nice. As it is, once you get the laser up everything is dead. Like a reasonable cooldown time between the shots so there's in big multi-planet systems there's some more time to counter it.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

it.is.a.game.ender.
    no cooldown no reload ...
    you need 5 catalists that are superexpensive to activate the thing ... always!
    tunsel11 likes this.
  5. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Just saying this should be on the balance forum...

But even this being a Game Ender, it should fire a bit slower...

if you compare w/ things like SupCom, for example you have N game-enders:

The Mavor fire very fast, don't have range, but don't instakill an enemy base...

The T-4 Nuke from Sera can Destroy an enemy base, but only 1 at minute, and the enemy can counter it w/ 2 nukes

The Paragon... you can delete all you mexes, and just buy engies, but it don't do nothing more than that(also don't let you com next to it)

The Superfire arty uses a lot of energy to fire... and don't have an giant range.

Anyway the best way to make the Annihilaser more balanced would be:
    It cost energy (like 100K for each fire), and a certain cooldown
    or
    No energy cost, no cooldown, but an energy punish

I think that game enders should end games, but not at this speed...

also if you compare w/ the moon the annihilaser is a bit more costly, but not one shot only... giving the ability to destroy an entire system in second is not a good balance...
    and if you go to the scientific side, you need a lot of energy!
  6. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

I agree it should be nerfed a little bit in terms of cooldown. It needs to shoot pretty fast once it starts the firing sequence though because it often has to shoot down incoming Halleys.

That said I have had my catalysts destroyed after first blasting a couple of planets before. It can happen.
  7. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

This isnt a matter of balance, its a matter of Style :cool:

on the balance side of things, a smaller metal planet is easier to hold then a larger one, and there should be a benifit to taking a larger one...namely recharge time, a smaller one is....small :confused: and would take a while to cooldown and recharge for another blast, at radius 500 we can say...3 minutes, so you actually have to decide what to destroy (not that there are many options, its easy to select which one you want to blow up first anyways)
    and larger can be shorter, the largest being 1500 (max setting last i checked) could be down to 30s
    The bigger the planet the bigger the reward IMO

-Also off-topic, you cant go below 500, there used to be glitches in alpha, then uber put in a -499 and lower metal planet that was cool, now you cant even access it, and if you mess with settings, and try to load it in, the game bugs out. :(
  8. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

New Thread to make:
    Uber can you give us non superweapons Metal planets!
    mjshorty likes this.
  9. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

there is a charge up time field in the json if I remember right, but when i tried monkeying with it to make a server mod, nothing happened.

That was awhile ago though, maybe it has been fixed.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I'm tired of this question.

The answer is simple. Yes.

The solution is also simple: Two minute cooldown between shots, then tune as playtests allow.

:)
  11. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I think a cooldown, longer charge time and a warning should be added.

So when a player begins building catalysts, it alerts the other players(Akin to "Player X has constructed a wonder!" in Empire Earth). This will add some more climax to it as well, as players rush to fight the one building catalysts.
  12. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

There is already a warning.
    philoscience likes this.
  13. cobalfrostwyrm

cobalfrostwyrm New Member

Metal-boss Biome with the unlocked biomes mod might be what you want?
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

to me that would turn annihilazerraces between multiple metalplanets into standoffs ... so i am against that ...
    you are supposed to keep the enemy from getting all catalysts up ... you were slacking and expect to get more time for your slacking? nope ...
    tunsel11 likes this.
  15. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

This has been the topic of quite some discussion. Uber's position (and mine as well) has so far been that the laser weapon is meant to be the culmination of a king-of-the-hill type game. Once it is finish and fired it's GG. Otherwise planetary stalemates (which are back with a force in the latest balance) will be a nightmare. So I very strongly disagree with any nerf to the laser cooldown or firing rate. If you manage to build a deathstar without being nuked, SSXed, or invaded, you deserve to win handily.
  16. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

NO COOLDOWN. Guys, if you can't figure out how to attack a metal planet that you are fully aware is under enemy control, you don't deserve to win.
    philoscience and drboggles like this.
  17. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

A lot of planetary annihliation is an Intel war, especially during the presence of a metal planet or halleyable planet. If you fail to keep up with Intel, then you are setting yourself up to lose every game you play, & that's entirely on you.
    philoscience likes this.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow this is totally a new topic that i didn't already start. guess I was totally wrong if other people start the topic as well. /S
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

There's no need to be salty, the same people who agreed there agree here, and who disagreed there disagreed here.

For example: Myself.