The Hunt Begins

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by arseface, February 6, 2015.

1. arseface

arseface Post Master General

The MH4U demo is now public.

Who wants to kill monsters with me in preparation for release? Inb4 nobody
  2. arseface

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Gameplay.

The demo is good enough that I've played it for 8 hours. It has 3 Monsters. The full game will have 75.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Are you getting Evolve as well, seems a similar concept?
  4. arseface

I can see how you'd think that, but they honestly aren't even close. I predict that I'd have the same issue with Evolve that I did with L4D in that it will get old fast. Multiplayer online in games is almost never something that interests me. There are notable exceptions, but I don't see Evolve being one of them. My computer can't run anything with 3d though, so Evolve is a no regardless.

Monster hunter has persistent progression in the form of gear. Flat upgrades are almost nonexistent outside of the three ranks though, which is awesome. Evolve resets per match from what I understand, and if there's any progression it's most likely very subdued.

Monster Hunter combat is closer to the Souls games, but without lock-on and a larger emphasis on hitting the appropriate body parts. Evolve is a shooter.

Monster Hunter is solo/co-op, no versus. Evolve is versus with an AI option.

Not saying Evolve is bad, but they're vastly different games.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Evolve is a co-op against an ai though =o

Also from the beta I played stats don't reset after a game, and there are st least three unique characters per class (including monster) that have Different playstyles.

But I haven't seen MH4 Gameplay Tbh. :p
  6. arseface

Evolve was made to have the monster be played by a human. An AI can control it the same way the AI can control special infected in L4D.

I linked a MH gameplay video in the thread. Here's another. You're given 50 minutes to complete the quest, and sane people do it in 20-40. That man is a straight up hammer wizard.
  7. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

So is this 3DS only? I've been wanting to get into the mh series for a little while now. I gave one of the demos a try once, and the concept is nice but I recall the combat controlling kind of funky. Do they have any plans for a WiiU version?
  8. arseface

Controls are a bit funky at first no matter the platform. You learn to love them. Picking a weapon that just "clicks" is really important when starting out.

There are no plans for a WiiU version, which is a shame. Not having Underwater battles helps the controls on 3DS a lot. If you have a circle pad pro or are planning on a N3DS that's supposed to help too. I've been playing the demo without either just fine, and I only played MH3U on the WiiU. Tapping the L button centering the camera behind you or switching to face the monster is big.

The demo has online and unlimited uses, so there's no harm in picking it up.