PTE build 78071 now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 6, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well the number of complaints on Steam from new players deeming the 'Normal AI is invincible, and cheats, and haz super powerz, nerf nerf nerf' is probably why :) Note that Uber and Absurd haven't been made easier for the more experienced players. I think a slightly lower entry point isn't a bad idea :p
    Pendaelose and stuart98 like this.
  2. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

Presumably orbital sight range will allow you to see things in orbit above it even if you have no energy to actually run the radar, which would mean umbrellas could still protect your base.
    bluestrike01 and cdrkf like this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Be interested to see how the mine stuff plays out. I'm inclined with agree with Clopse (though that's only on reading it) as a good mechanic introduces decisions, while this one appears to introduce a requirement.
    lapsedpacifist and zihuatanejo like this.
  4. cdrkf

I think mines (to be worth the investment) *should be really dangerous* and for that to happen they need to be difficult to spot.

To make them balanced, perhaps they need to detonate for *any unit* that goes over them (including allied ones!). That way you can use them to block a route to your base, but at the expense of preventing you using it too...?

Also I think if mines had an energy cost to keep them invisible, it would make them a trade off against how much power they use.

Edit: That's just initial thoughts though, I'll have to play around with them for a bit...
  5. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

Ah right I should added "excluding the orbital deep space radar." to my first sentence :)
    For orbital sight I go with Cynischizm his explanation that it shows orbital units when having no power :)
  6. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Found another crash for you. This one was just sitting in a multiplayer lobby doing nothing. Some OpenGL nvidia pop up error showed up. Logs attached.

Also I'd like to add I've had no other issues with this computer and it runs other games 24/7 without a hitch. So I know it's not on my end.

Attached Files:

7. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

the new UI is a HUGE improvement, HUGE as in the literal sense.

Uber please do someting about this, it's sad that the UI only works flawlessly on 1080p, my laptop has 1366x768 wich is a prety decent resolution yet the UI looks like this, it works fine for most of the game but can really be in the way when having much selected

Attached Files:

• UI.png
      UI.png
      File size:
      650.9 KB
      Views:
    zihuatanejo, Ksgrip, xanoxis and 3 others like this.
  8. cdrkf

Yeah this will be a problem on my laptop as well. Haven't actually had chance to test it in game yet.

Edit: @rivii dino needs a new banner! :D
  9. Azarath

Azarath Member

I wonder if it's going to be possible to toggle the new UI on and off?
    My eyes finds it very distracting. My eyes are being drawn to that yellow bar and when I have units selected my eyes are being drawn to the large window.

Otherwise I think it's a great addition. It's something I've wanted for a long time but I'm currently having difficult to play.

About the Idle yellow bar, once this goes into Stable build, I would like to be guided to an option so I can change its color to the same as the rest of the UI. The yellow contrast it too much for me.

And about the "units being selected" window.
    If I could scale it down so it lines up with the rest of the UI, it would be perfect.
    Another thing, since the window disappears when no units are selected, and I select and deselect units rapidly, it's like the window is flashing on and off and my eyes finds that a living nightmare.

So my requests are:
    1: Option to disable that part of the UI
    2: Option to change color of the yellow bar (And have it transparent like the rest of the UI) and to scale the "units being selected" window. And if no units are selected, the window will not disappear. Yellow bar.png Bar color.png Window scale.png
  10. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Yes, please Uber, add UI scalling. I play on 1440x900 and sometimes it bugs out.

Also, I fell like its christmas. One PTE is in, BAM, another PTE. Amazing Uber.
    Last edited: February 6, 2015
    uggla88, dionytadema and cdrkf like this.
  11. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Yes please cause i find really annoyig that it overlaps the building or unit rooster. I love your introduction of this new UI, good job. but please, scale it so in all resolutions work. I´m playing on a laptop and the screen isn´t big enough for your UI. Once you scale it down according to all resolutions this will be hands down your best UI update.
    xanoxis and dionytadema like this.
  12. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

And allow us the toggle the orbital layer
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  13. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Nooooooooo! This is specifically what I said shouldn't happen! Don't restrict options in the system editor please, me and my circle of friends almost always use planets in this size range for our maps. There has to be a better fix for the balance problem where Anchors outrange Umbrellas on small planets. Can't you just make it so the Umbrella has the same range regardless of planet size?

Not really sure about some of the other changes either. Non-pathable, hard to see underwater craters is really unintuitive, and the Advanced Radar Satellite seems to now be a bit too good at locating Commanders.

Cool to see my suggestion about the SXX beam make it in though!
    Last edited: February 6, 2015
  14. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

But I play against the hard AIs a lot, I think it should stay the same, and just add another easy AI for a better range.
    christer1966 likes this.
  15. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

This happens exactly to my game!!
  16. cdrkf

I'm sure you could up your game to Uber AI though?
  17. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I think this is a great idea. It keeps the starting factories and promotes the use of scouts beyond early-game and the occasional firefly flyover.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  18. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I do, occasionally.
  19. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I would rather repair a unit close to the enemy than build one or two more units in my base, ages away - absolutely. But I never see anyone use combat fabbers, even since they've become cheaper, and I was told that people didn't like wasting the metal. Perhaps it is a control thing, if you have an army under fire and they're getting repaired, you're not sure, and you want the metal used elsewhere - that'd be frustrating.

Surely you agree about it requiring extra micro though? It just strikes me as so fiddly :(

And since we're on topic, I shall ask you as a top tier player - why doesn't anyone use combat fabbers?! :)
  20. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I really feel like this change will detract from the fun, introduce more micro, and detract from the simplicity and purity that the game currently has. One of the reasons I like PA so much is that it feels like Quake as an RTS - there aren't hundreds of combat units, everything has its place and is simple and more or less balanced (obviously balance is still being worked on).