PTE build 78071 now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 6, 2015.

1. duncane

duncane Active Member

I think land scouts should also be able to see mines. And possibly radar towers at half their radar range. Just some ideas. Love that different things are being tried.
    killerkiwijuice and cdrkf like this.
  2. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Yeah I thought about that but for some reason I want mine clearing speed to be tied to number of support units instead of number of combat units

Either way would work fine and not having to deal with queueing up a reclaim command and just shooting tougher mines would definitely be simpler to understand for noobs though
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I will say that when I was playing with a radar nerf back in the day for the Community Uberbalance, we settled on 350 as a good nerf.

Turns out that was a bit too far :(

Tbh, 400 sounds good to me. It forces you to put that radar out on the front lines and protect it with your army and defensive structures instead of being this see all structure that you HAVE to build or you will be outclassed all the time.
    Remy561 and stuart98 like this.
  4. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

I should be able to fix this with the information given. Thanks.
    Remy561 likes this.
  5. jomiz

jomiz Active Member

Some stuff I noticed
    drboggles and Remy561 like this.
  6. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

I think the scout seeing mines at about the same range as tank/dox vision would be a good addition. I also think basic ground radar seeing mines would be good. Perhaps in a toggle option where you can activate radar minesweeping by doubling the radar energy drain.

Is there an attack ground option? I can't remember for sure, but allowing units without mine vision to force fire at an area to clear mines might be good too. Perhaps restrict it to artillery and TAC missile type weapons.

Commanders having mine vision kinda makes sense to me, unless the ubercannon will hit mines regardless of being able to see them.

Just some thoughts, I love seeing mines moved towards being used more, but would like more options in seeing them. And the ability to deploy small minefields by unit cannon fire :)
  7. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Just chiming in to say I love these changes including the new mine mechanics. This is how we get mines to be useful. To those of you saying it is going to bring a huge amount of micro; it really won't. Embedding a few combat fabs with your tanks is dirt cheap now, and in the worst case they can be made slightly cheaper and have their mine-reveal radius extended. As for the wall tactic, I haven't seen it nearly as much in games as I've heard about it on the forums, but the answer is stil to change walls not fabbers. This is a pretty interesting change and we need to actually play with it for a bit before we decide it's going to wreak havoc.
    Remy561 and cdrkf like this.
  8. duncane

duncane Active Member

I agree. It needs to be played a bit. I do think the land scout will need to see mines so tanks have an option too.
  9. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Yes, I was thinking another option might be to either create a new intel unit with mobile radar/minesweeping, or give it to the land scouts. We need to play around with this mechanic before we decide anything about it. Alternatively, I like the idea that once a mine is 'swept', it becomes permanently visible. Also while i'm thinking about it, this mechanic probably adds another reason to extend CF fabbing range, as it was already a bit too short. We'll just have to see.
  10. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

So nothing has orbital radar anymore, only orbital sight range.

Also, why does the orbital deep space radar need sight range, it already makes you see everything orbital related?
  11. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

A thing out of the older version (77725) I noticed but maybe still in: When boom bots are send to an area attack, they try to attack landed planes, but they can't and because of this they stick in a group around the plane as long it is landed.
    Remy561 likes this.
  12. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Yea, its probably not so fun to do this mines and combat fabber thing. It is never a fun mechanic to die to things you cannot see (wasn't this main reason why orbital fabber reclaim was removed?), which is usually counteracted by ease of access and use of detection. Combat fabber does not fill this criteria with its measly 100 detection range, which will put it in the weapon range of basically every single type of unit that can shoot it. If you're serious about shoehorning this mechanic you need to increase the detection range by alot more - like 200 to 300.

There are other problems with using combat fabbers for this such that you should consider giving this functionality to scout units instead. How are you going to raid with dox anymore? Everything will move at speed of combat fabber/tank now, and using pelican combat fabber is unreliable. Feels like unnecessary complication.

Also don't want to be forced to repair my units, especially not those with high metal to hp ratios like dox, or even tanks where the metal spent repairing doesn't make any difference to mortality rate anyway.

Mines are actually pretty strong.. the main issues were how fast you could cover an area with them, and whether they would just die to easy mode radars. Undetected, they seriously blow up a ton of units especially with the slight delayed triggering. Radar range decrease was enough, though i would also have changed mine placement to line mode instead of circle mode, increased combat fabber build arm range, build arm yaw rate, mine hp, and made radar towers always visible. Maybe even area trigger coverage of mines
    Last edited: February 6, 2015
    Zaphys, knub23, stuart98 and 6 others like this.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You are not supposed to have anything idle, so I am all for a super visible super annoying blinking large "WARNING" or something.
    Pendaelose and reptarking like this.
  14. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

I'd preferred if there is an easy ai to increase the range of ai settings (for new players), but keep the others as they are. On the other hand I wish there was also even a harder ai, too.
  15. elodea

elodea Post Master General

My understanding is that deep space still has orbital radar. All that the changes do are eliminate overlap in functionality. Now you actually do need deep space radar to detect orbital units far away.

orbital sight is required to reveal what the radar dots actually are (model and icon)
    Remy561 likes this.
  16. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Not 'supposed' to?

Sometimes it's important to leave things idle, I'm not a perfect player and I might have built past my economic capabilities, or I might have lost some economy and shut down vehicles/fabbers so I can rebuild my economy at 100% efficiency.

I agree it's a useful alert, but I know where it is, and I don't want it constantly dominating my screen because it's so much brighter than anything else (including the sun).
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

"Craters are now unpathable by naval or land (whether there is water in them or not)."

Why would a crater be unpathable when it's got water in it?
  18. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Love the UI: HUD changes.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hi, with respect to AMD brightness have you read / tried this:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...ness-problem-on-amd-cards.67638/#post-1063378

@jables have you guys looked into this to see if it's correct, if so it just needs adding to a FAQ somewhere so we can point people to it :)
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Again have you tried this:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...ness-problem-on-amd-cards.67638/#post-1063378
    ?