something different in the base defense tree.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by shotforce13, February 4, 2015.

1. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

The laser effects should be moddable...
  2. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I wouldn't mind seeing some more pew-pew bullet guns around, like the dox's or ant's.
  3. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

PA lacks a lot of interesting units TA had. Doomsday, popup guns, the rapid fire artillery gun (I forget what it's called), flak guns.

Also, I miss hovercrafts, amphibious units, large epic battleships with multiple gun types and the epic experimental units from SC. With any luck, the unit design guy will get fired for lack of innovating and imagination and they'll get a new guy.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

we have amphibius units in the form of doxes and slammers already, as well as ships with multiple turrets and types ... hovercrafts may come ... we have t2 flakturrets ... ... just give PA time to grow ... corecontingency wasn´t made in seven days either ...

... also stop wishing bad upon people for such trivial reasons ...
  5. blightedmythos

I wouldn't really call the battleships "Large and epic" they are pretty underwhelming and so is navel all together.

Core Contingency came out about 10 months later. It's been about 10 months since I bought this game, I've yet to see 100+ units added.
  6. MrTBSC

that is your opinion

halftrue ... there are close to hundred units when you count structures as well ... on the other hand you won´t see so many anyway ... and neither do i see the reason to have that many in the first place ...
    also this game is officialy out for only 5 months .. and the team working on it is now smaller then original ..
    patience is a virtue ...
    Last edited: February 5, 2015
    christer1966 and Nicb1 like this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Ships used to be at least double their current size, but we're reduced for gameplay reasons (namely pathing)

The second you said you hope someone gets fired I lost some respect for you, seeing as the devs and us are all nicely close. =/

Besides look at many of the units, namely the t2 missile bot (gorilla like)n t2 sniper bot (very interesting design, similar yet different to the sniper in TA), the commanders of course, and both if the bombers (okay this is just me, I just love the wing shape)

PA just doesn't seem to be the game for you, as what you deem simple or unimaginative, is just symptoms of playing bloated games that contained filler units. (TA was terribly balanced and many units were useless to flash spam and/or samson/slasher spam)
  8. blightedmythos

I was being sarcastic obviously I don't really want someone fired. Some creativity training or something like that couldn't hurt though.

T2 missile bot is interesting I'll give you that, there are a few other great creative designs (like putting giant engines on moons). But a lot of units just don't have personality or interesting features. TA may have had some bloat, but at least the units were a lot more interesting.

Annihilator (long range high damage sniper turret), Doomsday (multilaser pop up gun), Penetrator (Long range slow laser), Pelican (amphibious bot that transformed), The Can (extremely slow moving high health high damage unit), Valcun (long range multi gun artillery) and Warlord (standard batteries and a laser) all had really interesting unique mechanics.

The commanders look cool design wise, but they lack the epic feel because they are not upgradeable in anyway, and they don't even function differently (Some could be more anti air focused, others short range brawlers, some more multipurpose for example). Can't agree on that.
  9. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The Doomsday Machine was actually a really bad unit. The main weapon only had half the range of a Punisher (even less than that given how long the lasers took to unpack), but was more expensive in Metal, double the cost in Energy, triple the build time, took energy to fire 2 of it's 3 weapons (which lacked the very useful splash radius of the punisher, and were direct fire rather than ballistic) and had a an 8 second reload time on it's main laser (nearly twice that of the Annihilator!). You were almost always better off just building a punisher.
    philoscience and Obscillesk like this.
  10. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

I remember having hour long land only battles on that map with hills on either side with an opening in the middle. You never built a doomsday machine, you always build lasers and punishers.

The great thing about total annihilation was you could have a long hard slog like that. Slow punisher creep with a constant stream of units riding into battle. You definitely couldn't do this with SupCom because you could build experimentals from the start, and you don't get it with TA probably more than anything because of the maps.
    Raevn likes this.
  11. blightedmythos

Yeah, the maps could really use some choke points and features.
  12. perfectdark

I'd like to see a map with one choke-point. Sure, probably not that exciting for pros, but most players would love it I'm sure.
  13. squishypon3

Originally commanders were going to be functionally different, as per Neutrino's idea. A megabot (better balanced super unit) was also suggested at one time.

However the community here on the forums seemed quite against both. (Mostly a select group, but whatever =P )
    philoscience likes this.
  14. squishypon3

Use custom built maps, fine tuNed with the map editor, I suggest looking at the mapping subforum, very interesting and fun maps.
  15. perfectdark

Is anyone making TA or SupCom maps?

I'd be interested in playing spherical versions of my favourites. Some of the TA maps were fantastic and would work well as PA maps.
  16. squishypon3

Gandalf recreated a version of... What was it.. That famous Supcom map, as well as his own version of Finn's revenge (I also remade Finn's revenge)
  17. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Very well, your fired. reason being, ur lack of Innovation and imagination in your post is disturbing.
    you do realize that these are RTS veterans (ta, generals, etc etc) that make up uber ent?

they did make a game that you can turn the battlefield into massive weapons of destruction (metal laser, planet smash). Pretty good in the imagination department. :rolleyes:
    kayonsmit101, MrTBSC and christer1966 like this.
  18. perfectdark

Yeah, they really put in some overtime to come up with that big laser.

The game is a bit boring unit wise.
  19. MrTBSC

coming up with ideas and making them actualy work are 2 different things
  20. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Star wars uses particle cannons, its why they always call them blasters instead of lasers

Get out-nerded skreb:cool:
    Last edited: February 10, 2015
    cdrkf, christer1966 and squishypon3 like this.