Semi Symetrical Map - Ridgeback System

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by Tripod27, February 4, 2015.

1. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

This system is designed for 2 shared teams of 2-3 players, and is a 600 radius 100 metal main planet with a 100 radius moon.

The Main Planet (Ridgeback) has teams spawn on each pole (used to be 3 separate spawns for each team near the poles separated by ridges, but lolrandomspawns)

Ridgeback's main features are a large city near the equator, an abandoned gun position surrounded by cliffs, and a lake blocking one of the main chokepoints on the map (can still be crossed with bots)

The planet in general has lots of terrain features to break up combat and is made in a semi-symetrical style, where the terrain isn't mirrored but from a gameplay perspective is 90% identical due to similar metal placement and similarly sized and placed obstacles for both sides

(Screenshots rotate east around the planet)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The moon (Pebble) is a 100 radius asteroid that requires 1 halley to move and has no resources on it at all, can still be a gamechanger if it hits the right spot though

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-->Link to dropbox download<--

No combat images since AI don't do shared teams and none of my friends are online at 2am :(

EDIT: took a few images on the 3 drop zones per team version, tried 4 times and got mixed spawns every time so the battles took place in weird spots but I still got some decent shots so can get an idea of the scale and all that

Last edited: February 4, 2015
    snierke and guest1 like this.
  2. jeffrobot

jeffrobot Member

Looks cool. I like all the different elevations, and the choke point into water is intriguing. I think the symmetrical metal spots detract from the aesthetic a little bit. Gives it the slight look of an arena, like it was built by forerunners or something.
  3. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Yeah, but there has to be symmetry if you want it to be balanced for both sides, although next time I might try making a different type of symmetry to make it harder to notice (something like splitting this planet in half down the equator and then spinning one of the halves around 180 degrees so the symmetrical parts are on opposite sides of the planet)