something different in the base defense tree.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by shotforce13, February 4, 2015.

1. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Dont get me wrong, I love lasers, but every base defense having them is kind of bland. Its funny because no land unit uses lasers other than orbital, I dont know. Yes im aware the artillery is not laser but that doesnt count really.

I loved the triple barrel cannon in sup com, maybe I just want some more bassious thump coming from my base walls.:)

share ur ideas here...
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Would be cool to have a turret with the new beam particle emitter.
    ace63, Remy561, xankar and 3 others like this.
  3. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

yes, please! Is there a video of this beam particle type?
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

The anchor uses it to shoot things on the ground ;)
  5. shotforce13

isnt that just another laser lol. :p
  6. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Two please
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

It's an actual laser though, not a star wars pseudo-laser.
  8. shotforce13

@KNight had some cool ideas, like the hedgehog anti-naval defense.
  9. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Actual military-grade lasers don't fire visible beams unless they go through fog. I know you meant the speed but still.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  10. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

and fog obscuring the laz0rs is one of the main problems with them
  11. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The actual military-grade laser that just got put into service for the US navy (LaWS) is an infrared laser. So even through fog you wouldn't see anything. Well, unless it generates a plasma that would glow, but they probably tuned the laser to a wavelength that minimizes absorption by water vapour. For some reason I can't find the exact wavelength of LaWS. Must be classified or something... Anyway, I fear I am veering slightly off-topic now. :)
    Obscillesk likes this.
  12. Obscillesk

Obscillesk Active Member

I was trying to recall if it was an infrared or not. I think moving up to X-ray or gamma ray lasers would fix the problem. Considering PA's level of technology I don't think its unreasonable.

For higher lever base defenses: Relativistic railguns! with those really cool (but totally fake) spiral trails and junk.
  13. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

The new laser effects on the Anchor are really cool. I don't mind there being lots of lasers in PA, but the old laser tower ones look a bit crappy compared to the shiny new stuff. Would be nice if those effects could be redone - preferably with some obvious colour coding so that lasers that do different amounts of damage had different colours. On that note, the Anchors lasers are kind of similar to the snipers one, with the snipers actually appearing smaller, which is odd considering it does a lot more damage.

Part of the reason the other units don't have the laser is that their guns are quite close to the ground, and on a spherical map it means that when it fires, the projectile will just hit the ground in front of the unit (even if the laser actually goes through the ground, it still looks weird!). The laser towers get around this by being tall, and the orbital units get around this by not being near the ground.

A couple more defensive structures could be cool. More concerned about more units though :) Going with the laser theme, monkeylord plz.
    ace63, philoscience, Remy561 and 3 others like this.
  14. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

15. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Really like the multi gun units in TA. I wish PA had more of that and better effects.
    ace63 likes this.
  16. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

Isn't the Leveller meant to be a laser tank? Or is the description just wrong?
  17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i still would like at least the triplelaser to be more like a burstcannongattling similar to the uef t3 turret from supcon fa ... t2 could have more range but less rate of fire ...
    Last edited: February 4, 2015
  18. MasterKane

MasterKane Member

I feel that PA really lack top-tier defenses like Doomsday Machine, Annihilator, Vulcan and Cobra. While shields may be missing by design (regardless of my dislike towards that decision), high-end towers were present in original TA and played important roles in defensive strategies. Also, nanolathe repair/assist pads like ZK's Caretaker would also be useful.
    ace63 and DalekDan like this.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

well you are meant to be more aggressive ... also once you covered a planet in defenses is it is nigh on imposible to get a foothold anywere without a redicoulous number of nukes interplanetary antiair and armies of slammers ... so imo defenses are almost were they need to be no need for a compressed planetary fortress yet ...

what i rather like to have is a interplanetary @scathis type artillery ... ... god knows how that should work though ... best i can think of would be rocket proppelled grenades/shells ...
    Last edited: February 4, 2015
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I loved the doomsday machine but decided that it's really quite impossible to balance around the other turrets. Better just to have a high tier high range high damage low rate of fire turret like the annihilator than a full on doomsday machine.
    knub23 likes this.