Hey, any art nerds?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by kvalheim, January 31, 2015.

1. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

So, long story (Involving drunken Tumblr messages and Hentai artists) cut short, lately I've been in a HUGE kick to try and improve my art. I wanted to ask if anyone here, who may consider themselves even decent at art, if they have tips on like, keeping up practice hours (I'm VERY aware that I'm likely to burn myself out) and just generally improving. I've been linked a bunch of really handy tutorials from peeps on other forums, but ya know, every little helps.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

!!??
  3. kvalheim

'Tis a tale for another day.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

If you say so.

I have an artsy art friend who does art. I'll ask him if he's got anything useful. Though he's more of a 3D modeller type.
  5. kvalheim

That would also help, I have a 3D modelling module in class atm - on top of most of it, except Character modelling
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You're just not the same without your old profile pic! </3

Edit: Also I'm rapidly approaching your post count, soon I will become the trans girl with the highest post count! >:3

Also... I draw ponies and stuff... and so does my boyfriend- If that somehow helps xD
  7. kvalheim

Huh? I was just using Erica before this, then Poison stuff. Kinda gone away from those char obsessions.

And that's cos you're a PA nerd XD I have like no reasons to visit this forum often anymore.

---

Ponies are a little "One style" though, aren't they? Right now I'm just trying to keep up double a couple hours a day practicing fundamental posing and faces
  8. embox

embox Moderator Alumni

Draw original content. If you feel attached to the art you're drawing, it becomes significantly easier to sit down and draw for hours.

Do research on what you're drawing, it can give you inspiration but also aid you in knowing exactly what you want to draw, and more importantly how you should draw it. For example, if you want to draw an apple, don't search up an online tutorial on how to draw an apple. Go to the shop, buy an apple, and draw it yourself.

The best thing you can do is to just draw, even if that is the most cliche advice.
  9. kvalheim

Aye, that's what I've been doing on the most part.
    Very much helps that I'm bored of every game I own right now.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you're generalizing by using the term art.

I have a high school degree in art major with art extra classes and I continued for one year in college.

becoming a comic artist was my childhood dream that I've since then remodeled.

I still draw a bit but mostly do stuff with photoshop and the tablet.

if I have any tips it's that practice makes perfect. and setting yourself a goal of regular practice.

say at least 30mins of drawing per day. I know it seems like a mechanical way to go about it but this way if you go overboard it's a plus but if that one day you're really not feeling up to it you can let yourself off by doing 30 mins and that way you just keep getting better.

also get a friend over an draw him in a sequence of 5 min sketches with spindle/charcoal.

yes initially the 5 min rule will be a biotch but this will make you progess x100000000

once you complete 10 5min drawings you can do a single 20min one.

and then 5mins again.

this will help you let go of "the attachment to the line" and learn how to interpret and represent proportions instinctively.

This video's necessarily gonna end up in here so might as well post it myself :

yes it's a wtf video, no it doesn't have any educational value.
    Last edited: February 1, 2015
  11. embox

embox Moderator Alumni

Also join an art community. Maybe find yourself an art "rivel" of sorts to help spur you on.
  12. kvalheim

Aye, I'm just being bad at words this week. Trying to get a lot more into character / figures, with the eventual goal of getting more stylised designs. Been dipping a little into world and environment stuff but mostly just for some narrative coursework illustrations / UDK Coursework.
    I took Advanced Higher Art in High School and it killed a LOT of my interest because it felt like a very 'academic' way of doing things, with no real building of skills.

I've been doing about an hour a day since last wednesday, mostly just feels good to have a passion into something again.

One of my flatmate's friends is an arts student, been talking with him a bunch about setting something like this up

I'm aaaaaall too aware of DHMIS
  13. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

be my art buddy bby
  14. kvalheim

I've already got some people in mind
  15. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

wow the rejection stings
    websterx01 likes this.
  16. kvalheim

I'm sorry, I'll make it up to you, lemme buy you dinner.
    On my budget, you can half like... half a KFC bucket.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. legalhan

legalhan New Member

I just happen to revisit the UberEnt forums after years of no activity.

Only thing I can say is this: Do not get too attached to your work. It becomes harder to see it's flaws and improve from it. Even if you manage to be attached but still be critical, you will be plunged into dilemmas where you cannot decide between scrapping a piece you spent hours on or hope to fix it by pouring more hours.

A smaller point to note is that creativity often comes from limitations. Try to give yourself some limits and you might be able to come up with some things that looks natural.
    kvalheim likes this.
  18. kvalheim

Bought a sketchbook the other day, been very forceful of myself to not get too rushed away in trying to "Immediately get perfection". Told myself numerous times in notes to "Get good scrub" (in those exact words)

Thanks for the advice everyone, mind. This is really just a personal passion-thing I'm trying to do get, but I VERY much appreciate the words.
  19. legalhan

legalhan New Member

Well I did not exactly give you any advice. But if that's what you are looking for, then here's mine.

Give others advice. When you give them advice, it isn't really for them, it's for you.

P.S. Part of sketching is not giving a damn. So instead of buying some fancy sketchbook, try buying some ordinary notebook or even newspaper to sketch on.
    badfucatus likes this.
  20. kvalheim

By sketchbook I mean "It cost £4 and doesn't have lines on it".
    And I meant thread adv in general :p