PA.exe has stopped Responding

Discussion in 'Support!' started by murrayphd, December 22, 2014.

1. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Okay, clean install, removed and replaced drivers, disabled background services, and it still crashes.

Attached Files:

2. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Just to clarify, did you try playing PA without the headset? The Afterglow Universal Wireless Headset is known to cause random crashes.

Also, the newest driver for your card is from December 2014 (version 14.12). Did you try updating yet? If not, then here is the link to the AMD website:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 8.1 - 64

EDIT: I just realized that you have the latest drivers.
    Last edited: January 3, 2015
  3. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

I did try without my headset, still crashed. They are also my only source for sound at the moment, due to some milk being accidently poured onto my subwoofer.
  4. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

So do you know what the cause of the issue with headphones is? I'm still unable to play this for any amount of time, it does seem to take longer to crash with the headset disabled, but it still crashes after about 30 min. I changed out my platter hdd for an SSD, hoping that would help, but alas it has not.
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, the head set one is a rather weird one. The relevant bug report is here: PA#3738
    I don't know what causes it to crash PA though.

Or why PA just refuses to work properly for you for that matter...
    murrayphd likes this.
  6. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Another update, another thought of finally, and then another crash.

Attached Files:

7. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Was this also with the Afterglow headset plugged in? Are you able to remove it and try again?
    Also, what is your page file/virtual memory since the SSD was installed?
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  8. christer1966

christer1966 Member

I have the exact same problem with my PA, and i have an Afterglow wireless headset as well. Here is my DxDiag

Attached Files:

9. DeathByDenim

Could you also upload your PA logs? They contain links to the specific crash IDs at the end, which can help the devs track it down. You can find those logs in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\mods
    (On a typical install %LOCALAPPDATA% will be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local)
  10. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

Here's a more recent DxDiag can't get it to run with or without the headset.

Attached Files:

11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

wow, if nothing in this entire thread has worked I'm wondering if you should just re-install windows :eek:

EDIT: You should probably still update your drivers now, since it's February.
  12. DeathByDenim

Yeah, this one is a real head scratcher...

By the way, @murrayphd , in the new dxdiag.txt you posted there are a lot of WindowsUpdate failures at the end. Could it be that you are missing some vital Windows bug fixes, which could cause all of this trouble? (Also, withSIX-Play.exe doesn't seem to be entirely happy, but that's probably unrelated).

Also, could you post a bunch of PA logs again? Those crashes in the log files contain links to a more detailed crash reports now. The most recent one you posted contained a crash in the C++ "new" statement, which is really weird, since that means it crashed while trying to allocate memory. Not just failed to allocate, but actually crashed while allocating. I am wondering if all of your crash reports are like that.

Whieh reminds me, did you ever do that memtest thing by the way?
  13. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

I'm pretty sure I did the memtest, I can run it again. I'm looking into the ftu win files, I'm pretty sure I know what their issue is, as I ghosted the old HDD to the new SSD, but as I was having no luck before that, I didn't think it very relevant. Unless I'm mistaken, but the crash logs seem to replace each other, so no I don't have the old ones, but they are still here. I'll do a full update on drivers and win, then another memtest, and see if it (which I think it will) crashes at which point I'll upload the crash report.
  14. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

here ya go

Attached Files:

15. DeathByDenim

Thanks! Unfortunately only one of those contains a crash report and that log file is the same as the one you posted Thursday. Could you try to crash a few times (which by the sound of it, shouldn't be too hard) and collect the links that show up at the end of the PA logs? They looks like this:
    Code:
    [16:19:27.860] INFO Crash uploaded, link developer to http://crashes.uberent.com/report/index/bp-a9d20b37-08ab-4815-bd82-639432150130

I've looked further into that error, apparently it can also often be caused by heap corruption.
  16. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

heap corruption? Sorry I'm not familiar with that parlance.

Yeah I'll crash it some more.
  17. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

So here are a few more logs, but I think I've come up with a work around. I tried it today and was able to wage war for the first time in a long time, and it didn't crash at all.

Attached Files:

18. DeathByDenim

Thanks! One seems to be a crash in the AMD drivers (atio6axx.dll) and the other one seems to have crashed without finishing the log. The remaining logs have no crashes. Strange. This makes no sense to me.

What's the workaround you found?
  19. murrayphd

murrayphd New Member

So I moved the 3.5mm plug from the afterglow headset from the headset out socket, and plugged it into the stereo out socket. I'm not sure why this fixed it, but I had to do it to get sound to work in Sniper III and thought I'd see if it helped. That's why the last crash was on the 6th, after that I have been able to complete multiple rounds in both skirmish and GW.