[Gunner] Mastah's Guide - wiki wiki, hurry up!

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Strategy and Tactics' started by Mastah, January 19, 2011.

1. Vogue

Vogue New Member

Hey Mastah. I may not play Gunner as much as you but I have had my successful moments. It seems to me like Deploy is a very useful and often underestimated ability.

Granted, we all have our own playstyles. (I currently don't have a custom Gunner class) But I have had some pretty successful moments by using deploy.

For starters, it seems like people never expect you to suddenly deploy in the middle of a fight. Especially if fighting from middle to longer ranges when deploying means the difference between landing only a few of your shots or ALL of your shots.

Yes you're a sitting duck when deployed, but the idea is to be unpredictable, and not to remain deployed for long. It seems like everyone's automatic reaction to deploying means you're just bait for snipers. But no one should be deploying out in the open in the middle of a lane. And even if you aren't concealed while deployed, sometimes there's just not a sniper around to kill you.
    I'd sum it up like this. Pop up in an unattended spot, deploy and mow a few people down, pack up and leave before anyone can react.

It has it's uses. I've done quite a few things with the help of deploy that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. I've seen others do the same. Although I haven't created my own custom Gunner class yet and tried different endorsements to see what kind of effect they'd have on the necessity and effectiveness of deploy.
  2. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Yup, I did too. Some accusations are really funny.

A few days ago, some dude said I used a hack which made me invincible every time my health went under 20% :D

indeed, deploy can definitely be a really powerful weapon. The damages it deals are incredibly high, but the counter is that you are totally vulnerable to Snipers and basically everyone not in your sight.

I prefer mobility over it, it increases survivability. However you are right, for new players it can be a nice tool to use. As you mentioned, always be prepared to undeploy as soon as you start to take damage.

Personally speaking, I love to destroy deployed Gunners with my mortar :)
  3. Vogue

Vogue New Member

Another thing that was seemingly not mentioned; doesn't the Gunner's deploy skill add a slowdown effect to his gunfire?
  4. Mastah

Mastah New Member

It is mentioned actually, in the "Deploy" part. ;)
  5. ORYLY

ORYLY New Member

It's not mobility itself that makes you survive, but positioning. Mobility gets you in a good position but if you're already in a good spot for the next 2-3 seconds, you lose little when you deploy in those moments if you need the slow or a quick burst of damage.

I'll admit, though, that there's no such thing as a deploy-centric strategy. Deploy is a "trick shot", something that's only a good idea in the few opportunities that present themselves. Looking at my stats, only a third of my minigun kills are from deploy and a lot of these are from lulzy achievement whoring rather than tactical planning. Regardless, I've noticed moments when I know that "siege mode" nailed people before they could get into cover or deal significant damage to me or a teammate.
  6. Raconteur02

Raconteur02 New Member

The other day I managed to jetpack onto the top/side of the enemy teams tunnel leading out of their spawn point, deployed, and began pouring minigun bullets into people's backs as they came out.

I only got about 3 kills before I got noticed, but holy damn, was it funny.
  7. x gr1m x reap3r x

x gr1m x reap3r x New Member

some gunnys deploy in the middle of a fight good stratedgy

lol u can see my name "A Talking Jet Ski" in the picture :D
  8. Raconteur02

Raconteur02 New Member

Deploy is also excellent for DPSing down a Firebase with a fierce quickness.
  9. Mastah

Mastah New Member

I have added a new section to the guide, it's called "Advanced tactics". It's based on my experience vs the good players I've met during my games, hopefully it will help.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you see something wrong or stupid.
  10. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Half a second is too long when I see you coming, other than the section on Sniper is spot on.
  11. Mastah

Mastah New Member

You know what? When I wrote the Sniper part I kept in mind the matches we had had against each other. At first I wrote "A second" then I realized it was enough for you to land a headshot so I thought it would be wise to divide that by two, if not more :p
  12. TheWilder

TheWilder New Member

Someone actualy did this to me, once. I felt raped and bad for underestimating him :lol: was it you? :eek: , nice guide BTW :)
    EDIT: A good assault will actualy fight you directly, he will wait for the right moment (Reloading/Unspinned) and he will face to face kill you with 1 magazine, in case he uses bronze clip atleast, as he will jump from some higher position
  13. XyzKiller

XyzKiller New Member

14. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

it's higher to hit a flying target.

do you mean harder? o_O
  15. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Yeah I meant harder. Fixed, thanks ;)
  16. blg

blg New Member

Against juiced players I found the best combo to be:
    Mortar Grapple
    Followed by Gunner Grapple
    Still Bothering you: Slam.

The Mortar grapple doesn't have a throw so you can end up using your next grapple on them pretty much instantly, wasting more of their juice.

Of course all this goes out the window if the player is juiced and you have a chance to ringout. Either slam or use your throw grapple with some positioning to get rid of them.

Slams good if they aren't in your base because the slowdown for it will likely result in them not being able to get to your turrets.

Just my 2 cents.
  17. VLAD

VLAD New Member

I find I`ve never been able to do as well as with gold accuracy, so I was wondering what you normally do when you have a range disadvantage with only a bronze endorsement? I know theres mortar but i`ve found more aware enemies can dodge that stuff fairly easily.
    (not a criticism, I`m just looking for advice)
  18. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Well when I was still playing, and when I was fighting against a gold acc Gunner, I was always trying to take advantage of the maps. I would always use my mortar to harass him, run back if too much damage taken, and then I would take another road to try and reduce the distance between me and him.

But yes, using the minigun vs a gold acc at long rage is quite pointless.
  19. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

if you can get the deploy on him first, you might be able to take him out with the slow and lucky crits....