"Competitive PA is boring to watch"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cwarner7264, January 29, 2015.

1. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I cannot disprove that statement.
  2. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Every video: Al you ever see is Ants, some dox, some spinners, fighters and bombers. That's it. Almost never do you see other units and very rarely any T2.
  3. lucidnightmare

lucidnightmare Member

This. The epicness of PA is rarely present in high-level competitive games.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

grenadiers seem to be not there yet in usefullness, i do see people using occasionaly infernos
    naval is a matter of having lots of water like meso
    t2 is a matter of larger and richer planets ... the maps we currently have are simply to small ...
    i suggest people try everything from small poor planets to big rich planets or maybe even large poor planets ... and for the love of ormagödden please vary up the terrain well ...

the biggest problem for ranked is lack in intresting maps ..
    Last edited: January 29, 2015
    zweistein000 likes this.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

1v1s are boring, especially ranked 1v1s.
    theseeker2 likes this.
  6. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I would have to go with the ablegamers game where @cptconundrum got massive donations. Was hilarious, if not vanilla PA
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  7. zweistein000

^This also holds true. All 1v1's are on radius 400-1000 planets, that are land 99% of the time and a huge portion of those are moons. More multi planet systems and more varied gameplay, especially when the PTE balance hits pls.
  8. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

I agree that the planets are too small, but i haven't seen or played 1v1's on moons for several months now. There are not even moons in the pte ranked map pool. I take it you're talking about the lunar/moon biome?
    proeleert likes this.
  9. zweistein000

D-Class planet. Happy now :p YES I MEANT THE BLOODY MOON BIOME.
    squishypon3 and cdrkf like this.
  10. MrTBSC

the last meso between kiwi and xankar was quite nice to watch ... problem is meso lacks some more land .. either a second large island or more land to the main would have been good to ballance the use of all unitypes well ...
    but t1 wise i would say pretty much everything got used that time ...
    Last edited: January 29, 2015
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

This hasn't been true for some time.
    cola_colin, stuart98 and cptconundrum like this.
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Yeah that's true. The moons were popular because they were easier to balance back when we didn't have system editor or any kind of symmetry. It is now possible to make fair maps that also have interesting terrain, so moons don't show up so often in 1v1s.
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Even before then they were replaced by metal planets.
  14. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Eh, not too often due to pathing issues (that are still often issues).
  15. MrTBSC

what i hope is that uber manages to include multiple vertical symetrylines to the planetgeneration as well as diagonal ... the current horinzontal one is ok but ... meh ...
    but well doing this will be likely though as f**k
  16. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

I would go with game 2 of last Clopsey finals and I don't think a game of PA can get much more exciting than that, in terms of how close the game was and the "epic" flavour of the narrative created by the events during the game. There was so much going on at any moment that this game would be a good example of saturation of game->spectator flow of information. My point here is that you don't need very specific gameplay dynamics to create a game worth watching; in the case of PA, with the continuous improvement of balance, diversity and overall competitive "playability", the interesting/entertaining information is there in every top player match, the only real issue is HOW you deliver that information to people watching PA.

When dicussing about RTS as spectator sports, I like to bring up my first experience with competitive SC2. A local Dreamhack event happened in the city I was living at the moment and the full day ticket was very cheap so a couple of friends and I decided to go. We knew absolutely nothing about this game in particular (SC2) but we had a strong interest in RTS games and knew how they worked in general terms. We sat down at 12:00 for the quarterfinals, we were trying to decypher the units and buildings in the screen, and at 23:00 that same day, a few wonderfully-casted matches afterwards, we were cheering and shouting with the rest of the fans there, and, more importantly, having a rough but very intuitive feeling of how a game was developing.

That is, to date, the most impressive eSports experience I've had. We read no wiki, we watched no quick tutorial video, no... we simply listened to the casters and analysts! The thing is... PA is a brave new world in terms of casting possibilities. I don't think we have yet seen waht is possible with the PA engine in terms of livecasts and recasts. The cinematic potential of having a fully navigable solar system, from valleys and canyons on a planet to orbiting a gas giant is mindblowing and I think casters (@ZaphodX , @wpmarshall ...) have only stratched the surfaceusing some nice camera control mods.

This is not saying that I don't enjoy current PA casts (quite the contrary I love them... so much KotP hype! :p ), is simply that, I believe, there is still plenty of room for improvement and exploration of what PA can deliver as an spectator sport.
  17. donut64

donut64 Member

I like watching competitive PA.

It shows a reasonable level of micro, good trades and fighting between players, reaction forces, and a lot of clever tricks are sometimes used to get ahead in the fight. And if you aren't using clever tricks, you are probably seeing trench warfare.

It's neat. A lot of Uber ladder matches are great.
  18. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

To be honest, one of the biggest issues with PA (and many RTS eSports) is that it's all nearly the same. It can be cool, but after a while, is just too simplified. Which is partially caused by what the competitive maps are and the rough balance.
  19. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

So I should release settons cluch...... but then yall would give me to much love
    Murcanic likes this.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I hate you.

Have I compensated for all of the love yet?