Quitting while in a Shared Team

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by trilioth, January 27, 2015.

1. trilioth

trilioth Member

I noticed that surrender does nothing when I am part of a shared team with other players. I have quit by choosing Quit instead. What happens to the game when I do that?

I don't want to upset my fellow players. At times I find that all my efforts have been wiped and I don't want to start controlling my teammate's units. So instead of just sitting there doing nothing I just want to move on to another game.

I personally don't like it when I am trying to do something and everything I do gets changed by my teammate. I like shared teams because we can share resources. It's not that I mind other players controlling my units, but it can sometimes be a pain to have your fabricators and factories to put to use against your plans. Because of my point-of-view on this, I don't want to do this to other players. Therefore, I find myself at a loss when all my efforts are wiped out by an opposing force.

To extend this conversation I created the following thread:
    Team Member Etiquette
    Last edited: January 29, 2015
  2. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking or suggesting here...
  3. trilioth

trilioth Member

What part of that is unclear?

I'm playing in a team match with sharing on.
    I chose quit to close the program.
    Is there an effect on the match that I was in?
    Does the game automatically end for them?

I don't know how to be more clear here.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I don't think it ends for the entire team in shared armies.
  5. trilioth

trilioth Member

They're* probably better off with me messing up their* units.
  6. trilioth

trilioth Member

Thanks guys.

Feel free to give reasonable arguments against my point-of-view as described in the OP. :D
  7. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

Umm....

You could ask? I personally would be happy to get a request along the lines of:
    "Hey, I don't want to mess up your plans, is there something I can help with?

And would likely respond with:

"Sure, take this factory over and open up another front here." Or "Grab these units and raid there"

If nothing else you should still be able to ping your team to let them know of threats and opportunities, right?

I don't really play much multiplayer currently, so I could be way off I guess.

Edit: to better address initial point, instead of assuming the other players don't want you using their units, ask. They may appreciate the help :)
    Last edited: January 28, 2015
  8. sardaukar666

sardaukar666 Well-Known Member

Gamevox allows up to a 6 slot voice server for free, it's easy to use and if more people used voip there would be a lot less issues with shared armies. It is also ip protected and if you set your server to your ingame name people could find your server in seconds.
  9. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

The only thing that happens is that your team its name is greyed out to indicate not all players are present.

I don't like when team members quit just because they commander died, there is plenty they can do and a team needs all its hands and eyes, especially when there are several planets involved.

I guess it depends a bit on the situation, if there is not much left to control anymore there is no need to stick around unless you want to see the stats or chronocam :)
  10. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

Realistically there should eventually be an in game VoIP chat option for teams. I can't think of any valid reason not to include it in any modern game that includes online team play
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Neutrino believes voice chat may be very prone to harassement, and other such things. As shown by many games.

I can agree, at least in part.
    theseeker2 and drboggles like this.
  12. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

You always share resources when playing in team games, shared army or not. The only difference is that if you are playing non-shared you get priority over your resources and your team mates only get access form what you don't use.

This also means that if your ally needs the resources you have you will either need to send him military support or pause your own production to generate more access for him.
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

The commanders won't blow up until everyone has clicked surrender. The only effect on your team is that they will have less combined attention and be able to do less stuff at a time.
  14. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

Oh for sure, which is why it is important to include mute, block, recording, and reporting options.

The fact is, as referenced by this forum's guidelines, there are a lot of ****s on the internet. In my personal opinion, saying no chat because it might be misused would be like saying players can't have buildings because they might build them in obscene patterns.

The good news is that there are viable options, including text chat. Perhaps instead of full voice chat, an expansion of the ping system, similar to the screencaster mod that I saw to allow casters to draw on the screen. Although thinking about it that could be abused too.

I have done call center work, so I know how abusive people can get over voice communications, but I also know how easy it is to say that user ID no longer has the ability to chat this one. (Ka-mute, Ka-block)
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow.

seriously i've had people quit out on me like this and it's really the most annoying thing.

you shouldn't be playing this game mode.

honestly it sounds like it's not for you and you're being a real .... something by playing it but not 'till the end.

allies would be perfectly adapted to exactly what you're doing here.

but you should be aware that you're ruining the day of some unamed face out there by doing this.

there's a really simple thing you can do if you must absolutely pursue this bad behaviour and that is to at least agree with the person in team chat either upon your departure or the surrender of your team. but doing it without consent when your teamate consented to play with you and give you his eco is.....
    goofyz3 likes this.
  16. trilioth

trilioth Member

wow... harsh

I get your point though.
    tatsujb likes this.
  17. trilioth

trilioth Member

Thanks... Someone seems to understand what I'm saying. It's not like I quit just because my commander dies. I was referring to those moments when there is just nothing for me to do.
  18. trilioth

trilioth Member

I didn't know that thanks.
  19. trilioth

trilioth Member

I'm going to start a new thread on team member etiquette. I had this idea earlier today and from the response I can see here, there seems to be a need for this. I'll add the link to the OP after I post the new thread.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

21. trilioth

trilioth Member

Is there a necro rule?

Those are great posts. Thanks. I will link them in my post.