Please turn building wreckage into rubble

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Planktum, January 27, 2015.

?

Do you agree?

Poll closed February 3, 2015.
  1. Yes

26.0%
  2. No

74.0%
  1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

I hate it how units have to destroy building wreckages first in order to shoot units on the other side of it. Once a building has been destroyed the wreckage should turn into rubble so that units can shoot over/past it.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

But but.. That's what's awesome about simulated projectiles? ;~;
    Remy561, zweistein000, xankar and 3 others like this.
  3. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

Why? There's no more reasoning in your suggestion than 'because I dislike it'. Can you perhaps write a little more to say why, for example, other people might also not want building wreckage?

I can see why it might be interesting for wreckage to be turned into rubble after x number of shots, so that units can shoot and path over it (but it can still be reclaimed for a fraction of its wreck value). But as it is, the wrecks are actually rather interesting, gameplay-wise.
    Remy561 likes this.
  4. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

But that's just it, they aren't wrecks. After a building is destroyed it would hardly be standing fully intact. It should fall over into a pile of rubble (which can still be reclaimed). I still think that units should path around the wreckage but they should be able to shoot over the wreckage.
    warrenkc likes this.
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

**** I clicked the wrong one, count my vote as no
  6. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

And that just leaves wrecks as a pathing minefield. They can't be shot, they won't be reclaimed in the middle of a battle, they'll just be a super annoying obstacle course. Wrecks seem kinda ok. Not perfect, but better than the version you seem to be suggesting. Unless you have some actual persuasive reasoning up your sleeve?
  7. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Building wrecks should be fine(as it were in SupCom). However, unit wrecks have been the subject of many a past debate.

Ultimately they can be both good and bad. My personal preference is that I'm find with them as long as they are easily destroyed(unit wrecks that is).
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I wouldn't be so bad if more units actually had simulated projectiles, unlike tanks and dox who can and will shoot into space if they miss.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no. not specifically, no.

I'll concede it's the only darn thing PA uses them for and it's more an annoyance than anything.

if it were just a bit sure, but all the time like this?

it basically IMPLIES reclaim will never be a thing. You can't market a mechanic by throwing another out the window.

doing it the FA way : you'd have majority of shots over the wreak. they just were low to the ground compared to the unit before it.

And simulated projectiles deserve to be used for actual freaking combat. not just with the wreak gimmik hopping into the middle of it all like it's not the most renowned party-pooper.

proper simulated projectiles make use of collision boxes shaped like the units, I don't think that's the case, I haven't ever seen a shell fly though commander legs or armpits.
    for two it implies projectiles will collide with ANYTHING on their path (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO other projectiles) and deal damage consequently (YES THAT MEANS TO YOUR OWN UNITS TOO 100% OF IT.... WHAT, ARE YOU TURNING YOUR BACK ON WYSIWYG NOW? HOW CONVENIENT)

it also means utilising projectile distance ark and speed to make projectiles dodgeable by moving your units accordingly.

currently it doesn't really matter that an artillery shell takes the time to reach escape velocity then force itself back into gravity's clutches, you still can't dodge it because of how clustered your units are, the arty rate of fire and of how slow the unit movement speed is anyways.

So really if nobody in the PA community likes SimPro, if the only way it can be allowed to exist in PA is merely in the form of a nostalgio-gimmiky cameo; a dusty old cobwebbed relic that's sitting on the top shelf that noone wants to touch.......

screw it

don't include SimPro

it's just deterring gameplay like a sodden ball and chain.

screw that! That's NOT what made simpro fun in the first place and NOT the light under which it saw it's glory days in spring, FA and FAF.

btw, shquishy this post quickly became NOT directed at you but at everyone on the PA forum, please read with your choice of an extra dose of cuddly kittens, slow lemurs, red pandas or cantina-cosplaying-hamsters . all is a possibility.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Last edited: January 27, 2015
    theseeker2 likes this.
  10. squishypon3

Hit boxes are all completely based on unit shape, I know this as I have made custom units, and had to do nothing for it to have a hitbox.
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No squishy no no no.

Hitboxes are rectangular and are defined as mesh bounds in the unit.json file.
    cola_colin, theseeker2 and tatsujb like this.
  12. squishypon3

I'm almost certain they're not rectangular, does the mesh bounds give any indication that they are rectangular? (Such as rectangle being referenced)
  13. tatsujb

:D SUBQUOTES NO LONGER NOTIFY !!!! BEST DAY!!!11!!!
    igncom1 and stuart98 like this.
  14. squishypon3

Haha, I should ask @LennardF1989 to make it optinonal, as I like following discussions. :)
  15. tatsujb

Ah nevermind I just browsing this forum too damn fast. :( :( :( all previously built-up joy has seeped from me like a snowman in the rain.
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  16. squishypon3

Mwahahahaha! >:3
  17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

impo unitwrecks should be turned into ruble and struckturewrecks can stay as they are ..
    cola_colin and cdrkf like this.
  18. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

That might work, I'll have to get back into the swing of things before I can give a good, well thought out opinion.
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

FA wrecks didn't block projectiles; they passed right through. Wrecks didn't actually exist in the collision field at all, either for movement or weapons fire. Only if a shot happened to hit the ground where the wreck was, or nearby AOE impact occurred, did the wrecks take any damage.

I'm not aware of any RTS that has that level of detail. FA and TA just used cubes/rectangles (or spheres) for collision detection.

No, they aren't turning their back on WYSIWYG, because that's not what WYSIWYG means. It also doesn't imply impacting everything; FA had simulated projectiles but the bullets not only didn't hit wreckages, but they passed straight through friendly units.

Basically, all simulating projectiles means is that the path of the projectile is computed each simulation tick, and checked for collision against other things. But it does not mean that it has to actually collide with everything it touches; that's design decision that is wholly separate.

So turn everything into instant hit weapons, and remove artillery, missile weapons and nukes from the game?
    You can't have any kind of weapon with a travel time without simulating the projectiles to some degree ;).
    cola_colin, stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  20. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

IMO projectiles should be made slower, so they actually look gloriously simulated, like supcom's were.
    stuart98, Raevn and ace63 like this.