Unit Variety

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, January 24, 2015.

1. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Part of Unit variety isn't just usablity, it's also uniqueness of a unit. This isn't just what a unit does, or how you can use it, but also visual effect. For example, the kestrel is unique, because no other unit in PA does what it does, really. same goes for the grenadier, the T2 bomber, the vanguard, the inferno, the bluehawk the sniper, the sheller, the pelican, the narwhal and the stingray (also the two new subs).

Not to say these units couldn't be made a bit more interesting, by giving them more interesting visuals, or little tweaks in their weapons, the sniper, sheller and the kestrel could use a bit of this, but they are unique, and do have a bit of character. I think we could improve the character of PA's units if we took the units that are just direct upgrades and made them more interesting. They could still do pretty much what they do now, but just have different firing effects, and slight weapon tweaks to change them up from their T1 counterparts. The Slammer for example could have a shotgun weapon, maybe the leveller could have a railgun. Neither of these would change anything too much, but they'd look interesting, and give the units more flavour. Just some thoughts.
  2. sigmud2

sigmud2 Member

Aren't we more likely to be vouching for the "Cult of Personality?"
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

so far imo the only unit that realy seems to be a direct uprade to me is the leveler ... all other units have functions to feel different enough to me ...
    one could argue about grenadiers and shellers or orca and leviathan but still to me they feel diverse enough to warant their existence ...

edit:

thinking about it i would like turrets to be reworked a bit ...
    singlelaser being your general defense turret,
    double laser being longer range fast hard hitting but less rof
    and triple being the gatlingtype defense ...
    i understand there is a bit of nostalgia due to TA but they totaly feel uninspired to me to be frank
    i do like the rest of the defenseoptions though ...
    Last edited: January 25, 2015
  4. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I've seen the other units getting mixed in. No clue how i could forget spinners, tho.^^'
    My point is how infernos are for the most part an addition for special situations. Your main army will almost always be based around two units, tank or dox, with varying amounts of air.

SC2 has a few more compositions, additionally to a myriad of timing based comps and builds, which might or might not end in an all in. Furthermore, SC2 is very micro-heavy, and the execution of all these builds has an incredible amount of complexity, resulting in very diverse styles. And mind, that's up to korean pro level, which are about min-maxing to the death. It's even a pretty rich game on that level.
    Below, you can get away with almost everything, provided you are good enough with it. Not to mention the racial aspect, there are 6 matchups with their array of styles and strategies. E.g. TvZ/TvP, as you said, use similar compositions (with a massive difference in support units tho) in standard play (we don't speak about turtle mech), but you use them in a completely different fashion. Not to forget, Terran has the most generic compositions. Then again, TvT is a completely different beast.

Adding to my previous answer, PA in comparision is atm a slightly more complex variant of either Tanks&Co or Dox&Friends. There is only one race and by nature a lot less micro and tactics. You'd assume PA would be all over compositions and the inherent strategy because of this and the focus on macro. But that's where PA is the weakest.
    Mind, while this might sound pretty harsh, that I like Planetary Annihilation alot. I just think it's a flawed game in that aspect. Nothing which is impossible to change, tho, the new PTE already looks interesting and might already make huge differences to the lategame. Probably after leaving the Tank/Dox phase.
  5. MrTBSC

never assumed pa not to be flawed but it keeps things out i despise in most rts's so that is why i like it ..
    however PA is still young ... it has the potentional ... and it has its foundation to expand upon ...

same goes for grey goo even with that game's potential being limited compared to pa ...

and for the most part it is that potential and scaleability of why i am so enthusiastic about it .. i don't think we will see a game like this again any time soon ...
    Last edited: January 25, 2015
  6. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that the best counter to the "Goo" would just to SALT EVERYTHING, I mean...seriously....
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

You bring up a good point. I love the awesome projectiles mod. The game just looks a lot better, and is subsequently more fun, when there is more variety to the projectiles.
  8. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I must disagree with this; I find the awesome projectiles mod to be a little over the top and some of the colours of the projectiles were not thought out and become largely non-readable. Plus, the explosions - it ruins the uniqueness of the effects, in addition to being out of proportion with the object exploding - it looks odd.
    Zaphys likes this.
  9. MrTBSC

a mere matter of tweaking imho ...
    thing is it helps that visual effects make units look less blant
    i personaly don´t care about units being straight foreward .. i rather consider that a plus ...
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The explosions you are talking about are a different mod, right? I agree that cPlosion looks a little weird, but I use it as a way to quickly see which team's units are getting killed even if I'm not paying close attention.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's the kind of thing I'd like to see as an option within the game for those that need/want a bit more readability to the combat.

Mike
  12. MrTBSC

yea personaly not a fan of it ... so yes please optional ...
    oh also colorblindmode ... not for me but others
  13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Everyone is gonna have their own differing opinions on how much is too much and how little is too little. Personally, I woulda done Awesome Projectiles a little differently – as would have pretty much everyone. However, the default projectiles are really lacking.
    Zaphys likes this.
  14. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Specific feedback about particular projectiles would be appreciated, as would such discussion happening on our forum thread.
  15. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the default projectiles have been there since what, alpha?
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

BTW I'm just going to butt in here and say that Awesome Projectiles as it stands is not enough. Expect moar l33t projectiles in future releases.
    cdrkf and cptconundrum like this.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Love all those visual mods.

I don't need to see the battlefield, not with teh glow, CAN YOU NOT SEE IT GENERAL!!?!?!??!?!?!?!
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

I vote for more variety by the addition of a T2 galactic vacuum cleaner. Then rename the game Planetary Inhalation.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

You've been watching space balls...

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: January 26, 2015
  20. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

From where I'm standing this has been going on since before the alpha. @neutrino when he puts out ideas peoples a immediate reaction is to state division by zero end of the world. People always assume the worst possible outcome on everything. So Uber plays it safe with PA because of this fact which is a pity.:( Neutrino used to be pretty active on the forum but got sick of all the negativity and just left.:( If @cptconundrum explain the rationale behind it instead of stating "balance." I would have not reacted the way I did. PA lost depth because of this which is a pity.:(
    Tuberculosis as a good point in PA Unit lack personality compared to Sup Com. As you can see from the comments here. (about an hour and five minutes in) This issue has been a parrot since a lease beta. I believe it could be resolved even following WYSIWYG guidelines.
    Don't care about super units.;) (or any tedious micro PA is too complex)
    A lot of these issues have to do with PA's mono faction. Expansion pack anyone?
    FTFY:p That is good to hear.:cool:
    Last edited: January 26, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.