My Feedback to Devs

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by blightedmythos, January 18, 2015.

1. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

I can't see why, are people still running on dial up or something where they are disconnected a lot? Never had a need for offline play.
  2. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

We need mushroom planets!

[​IMG]
    stuart98 and wilhelmvx like this.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Would you have a link to the videos in order to compare ? :p
    Thx :)
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Early game (using Cult's map as it really hurts the sim): Really slow by 10 mins...
    http://exodusesports.com/match/4724/

Example of another game on the same map from last week. Whole game is fairly smooth

http://exodusesports.com/match/5530/
    doud likes this.
  5. doud

doud Well-Known Member

thx :)
  6. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Well i have watched both videos. But first video involves big blobs of doxes which is not the case in the second video.
    This makes the comparison difficult (I whish i could test with previous builds again :)). Being extensivly playing PA with economy cheat (+5) in order to produce tons of units, i've allways seen single groups of 1000 doxes slowing down the sim. Even if, to be honest, it's obvious it has really been improved since original release. Now i'm not complaining, i even wonder how the hell they have managed to run such a complex sim that fast with so many units.
    To me PA is really a miracle from a technical perspective (sim, rendering ...).
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. cdrkf

Oh yeah, well that was the best comparison I could find.... I just thought it's worth mentioning that although the sim isn't multi threaded (yet) work is definitely being done on it :)
    doud likes this.
  8. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

There is really no point in continuing to argue as the OP has made it pretty clear they have a die-hard list of niche wants and won't consider the game to be good unless these are met. To the point of pish-poshing away 6 months of massive developments as 'unnecessary'. What the OP wants is clearly not the current development track PA is on so... bye bye! Thanks for the 'feedback'.
  9. doud

doud Well-Known Member

6 months ago how many people would have bet Uber would keep polishing PA this way ? It's obvious to me that PA is Uber best argument to demonstrate they know how to make game. So it's also obvious that they have make it as good as possible in order to legitimate their claim that they can make other games. And can one really honestly say they did not respect their promises by supporting (rarely seen before for such a small team) as much as possible. I feel like we're in Omega (alpha, beta, gamma) stage and Uber keeps working to polish this masterpiece of the game industry, yes, you've heard it well, a real Master Piece.
  10. blightedmythos

I am pretty sure you have it backwards mate. Single player improvement and general core game improvements aren't exactly "die-hard niche". Modding tools, map editor improvements and ranked play (when the game isn't even released yet) are a bit niche however. I'd say probably the vast majority buy these types of games for single player content. Yes, the vocal majority on a forum tend to be geared more towards modding and multiplayer, but that's rarely the case for the entire population of a game.

Forums are for providing feedback to developers before the game is released. That's what I am doing. I am sorry if feelings were hurt because I criticized development choices and the speed of development team.
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. cdrkf

Just out of interest the game was released back in September (probably a bit early by most accounts however can't change that now). Thankfully Uber have been listening to feedback and making changes. They have stated that in the coming months many new things are inbound that will improve single player (Galactic war improvements are slated for March / April time-frame, new units should be in the game very soon as they're already playable in the test build so the next official update basically).

I certainly think it isn't unreasonable to want improvements to this side of the game, although I think was a little unfair of you to dismiss all the work on other areas. The map improvements for example should improve the game for everyone, and the ranked 1 v 1 has had several thousand (!) unique players register for it in a matter of 2 months since it was released so it is a pretty popular feature. Anyway I think your feedback is useful as it's important for Uber to get comments from all types of players.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. blightedmythos

You are right the last two have some value and I think are worthwhile additions. I don't think 1v1 ranked really has a place in a game that is not fully released and or lacking a lot of features however, but that's just my opinion.

Glad to see some general and single player improvements are being worked on.

Those of you who are die hard fans should take an honest look at the reviews on steam. There are MANY justified posts that argue many of the same points I brought up. Bland unimaginable, lifeless planets, single player repetitive, unit variety lacking, game lacks strategy with too much unit spamming, all come up a lot. I also think the unlockable commanders you can get being only cosmetic seems like such a lost opportunity. I think, at the end of the day, my biggest issue Planetary Annihilation doesn't really do much to try and innovate and add interesting things to this genre. It tries to copy almost exactly everything from TA (poorly). At least Supreme Commander tried to add new and interesting innovate game elements (amphibious ships, experimentals, customizable commanders). You could argue that spherical planets and fighting between worlds is innovative and you'd be right, it is. But I don't know if it's really a positive addition yet. It also takes away from gameplay as well. It removes the possibility of truly large maps due to performance reasons. Large units battles aren't possible due to pathing issues. Map features (choke points, rivers, marshes) don't exist / matter. Supposedly waves and water looking like water is impossible. These issues need to be ironed out and system battles need to be expanded on before I'm really sold on it being a positive addition.

We should respect these views, as making the game better would grant you a larger multiplayer player base (and overall better game).
    ace63 likes this.
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

You've mentioned not released twice now; this game was released back in September last year.

Not just spherical planets and orbital combat; name a game that lets you actually remove portions of the map? Or another game that has chrono-cam? There are a lot of brand new features in this game not seen anywhere else. Not to mention the possibilities stemming from some of the really cool engine tech. Have you seen some of the crazy maps?

There was a video made comparing moving 1000's of units in PA and Sup Com. Sup Com can't manage that number. Units took a long time before they even started moving, and a lot of them didn't make it to the destination. In PA, the units moved instantly, and only one or two got stuck along the way. PA is already more than capable of far larger battles than Sup Com, and the pathing is much better.
    stuart98, lokiCML and kayonsmit101 like this.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

unitspam: this game is about heavy production after all ... produce nothing and you lose ...

lifeless planets: supcom had lifeless maps yet no one complained about that ... because they were busy battling hundreds of units on the strategic map ...

how does the game lack strategy exactly?

supcom didnt have costumiseable commanders they were only upgradeable during a match ...

there are no unlockable commanders in pa ... they have to be buyed and unlike the defaultcommanders were made for backers as reward for their 1k tier ks pledge .. they also decide weither or not their commander to be allowed for sale or not ...

doesn't try much to innovate?
    true spherical maps, multiple of those
    chronocam, planets being useable as kinetic weapons, adding orbital layer,
    picture in picture notifications ..

copy from total annihilation ? planetary annihilation ... total annihilation ... hmm almost sounds like those two names have something in common ... wonder why ...

lack of variety in units is subjective
    this one unitpool here has enough units for 2 factions in most other rts's ... feel free to call them blant .. but you have a large number of unittypes here to choose from which perform fairly different ...

the only 2 real things planetary annihilation is lacking at the moment is a fun galactic warmode for both single and multiplayer, and saving

unitvariety is not a real issue as new units get added over time ...