Where are we standing? (18.01.15)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by MrTBSC, January 18, 2015.

?

How far off being a propper gamingexperience is Planetary Annihilation in your opinion?

1. There actualy isnĀ“t realy missing all that much anymore

20 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Planetary Annihilation still requires a ton of work

17 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. I like the game as it is, everything else is just extra

15 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. I am not sure

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. There is a fair ammount work to be done in PA, but it is getting there

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

fixed
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  2. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

UBER PLS MAKE A STORY FOR GALACTIC WAR! ;=;
    bradaz85 likes this.
  3. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

One big thing that's missing from the game at present is a more powerful, more user-friendly and more reliable map editor (as in this thread: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/map-editor-feature-request-thread.66438/).

In an RTS, good maps make good games, and while procedurally generated RTS maps are a cool idea, the map generator as it presently stands is quite a long way from really providing the experience I think people really want from the game, at all levels of play. There's a lot that could be added to the planet generator in the meantime, but giving people the tools to make up for it in the meantime would be super cool.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

bump for a bit more voting and reasons ..

so i am i right in thinking that the current general consensus is in

saves
    galactic war
    planetgeneration
    and modability?

... bugfixing and optimisation/ballance is an ongoing thing anyway ...
    Last edited: January 23, 2015
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I just find it disappointing that Uber caved in to the demands of the multiplayer community and decided to neglect core features like GW for the time being. Most balance tweaking and polish is supposed to come after the core features are done.
  6. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Have you read the upcoming work update? This update is balance, which is a relatively low work update. Just one guy changing things and the rest testing sometime and bugfixing the game.
    Why not a 'big' update now? Since saving and loading is coming in february!! This is a widely requested feature, mainly for GW players. And for march Jables hinted that they gave some people researching how to make GW more interesting for a big GW update ^.^

So I won't say that Uber is looking at the multiplayer mayority. I even bet that the single player playerbase is even bigger than the MP playerbase btw ;)
  7. theseeker2

Basically you just restated everything I just said. Except for saving, I am vehemently opposed to the developers funneling time and money into features that are less important than the improvement of galactic war. I was vehemently opposed to the ladder and ranking coming before galactic war changes. 90% of matches prior to offline server were logged offline, ladder and ranking should have gone dead last.
  8. Lextoc

Lextoc Member

The only thing bothering me right now is the menu lag, besides that you won't have any complaints coming from me.
    Remy561 likes this.
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Did you already try the "Lightweight Menus" mod? That could help with your menu lag.
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Does that mod still work?
  11. Deletive

Deletive Member

I think with a few more performance improvements to the game it can be amazing. A few more patches adding in the left over feature and hopefully a new ranking system will really help this game.

So there is not a large amount of work to be done on this game but a fair amount.
  12. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

I would love to have the things listed here, but right now, the most "this game is broken" bug to me is what happens after a planet smash. Wrecks and objects just floating in space and the pathing map not being redrawn is super busted.
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

...but to be honest, this game is already so much fun that I would continue to log hundreds more hours on it even if dev comes to a complete halt tomorrow. Whoops, don't tell Uber I said that!
  14. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Nobody complained in the mod thread, so I assumed.
  15. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Nobody has told me it's broken, and I haven't noticed extreme menu lag lately.
  16. drboggles

drboggles Active Member

My only gripe is Orbital and the system editor in all honestly.

Naval might need a bit of tweaking when subs comes out. I also feel like we should have a way to drop air units off on enemy planets, because as it stands now, you have to rebuild your air force for every planet you control.
    Last edited: January 23, 2015
  17. Remy561

Well, the main updates, except 1v1 are for the main gameplay. When the main gameplay improves, so does the galactic war. So MP bugfixes also effect your GW and singleplayer gameplay, it is just the galactic war metagame they are logically ignoring to update. And it is probably ignored since it takes a reasonable amount of work to keep updating the GW metagame, and all that work is useless on the long run when the entire GW game gets remade ;)
    MrTBSC likes this.
  18. theseeker2

So why not remake the GW metagame sooner?
  19. Remy561

That question I cannot answer, but my guess is the HUGE amount of complaints for ladders/matchmaking before the launch of the game. Really, the amount of complaints back then was enormous. Secondly the unit cannon was another main complaint since it was in the original kickstarter trailer and not in version 1.0 and offlineplay is was a huge update for the entire game :)

So it is just a priorities problem. But think positively, the more updates the main game gets, the better the 'new' galactic war will be when it releases :D
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  20. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I have to say i'm pretty much impressed about how well the game has been improved since official launch.
    I was really not happy with the game as it was when it came out and i was really wondering if Uber was going to really put lots of additional work on it. Now that we are a few month since official release, i must admit i'm nearly getting the exact game i wanted to have. This is to me very important because during official launch many people were laughing at me because i had put 250$ in PA. Now i'm so much proud to have been part of this great adventure.
    When i watch these thousands of units moving around, firing and all this explosion stuff, i'm like a child :p

The most important thing remaining to me, from a technical perspective at least, is additional stuff with map editing.
    The community has shown evidence that it's possible to have very, very, very beautifull planets with lots of strategy interest provided you do not rely on the procedural generator, which made sense for such a quick development, but is really not enough for getting exciting planets. I'm pretty sure Uber did not have enough time to work on the planet design part. Obviously most of the efforts have been concentrated on building the engine and the unit roster. With such a short development cycle, it's easy to understand. But hopefully they will be able to either provide a nice set of planets, or lots of additional stuff to make incredible planets with the planet editor.
    Remy561 and drboggles like this.