Looking for collaborator

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Bsport, January 22, 2015.

1. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've been trying to do my own csg's I've got the coding part sorted, but I've given up with the 3d model/texture part its just not my thing and I'd rather work on other stuff, So I'm looking for a collaborator instead.

THE PROJECT

I'd like to do csg's for the alphabet like this

[​IMG]

I'm not looking for fancy textures or models, just the plan letter as shown above with a glossy or mat grey, nothing fancy, using the http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Montserrat font.

WHY LETTERS?

Because I'd like to use them for videos and also I think the community could use these to make some great videos.

WHAT I'LL DO

Coding the mod and getting it on PAMM etc, I can also help with textures

So if anyone's interested please let me know here or PM.

Thanks

Bsport
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

You could just use the 3D camera tracker in After Effects :)
    slocke likes this.
  3. cobalfrostwyrm

cobalfrostwyrm New Member

What is the pipeline for getting models from 3ds max to PA? (just a link to a how-to will do)
    If that isn't to convulted and time consuming I can probably make the alphabet this sunday.

[edit]
    Found some things that refer to importing animated models and some things that are probably universal for the models.
    Max needs to be set to metric 1 unit = 1 meter. Transforms of any kind need to be reset, everything must be zeroed. Each UV island is a smoothing group if it needs to be smoothed. Each UV island needs hard edges.
    There is a thing called papatran or papatool that I need, this apparently converts from fbx or obj to papa.
    Is that all? you just need a model converted to papa or is there more to it?
    [/edit]
    Last edited: January 22, 2015
  4. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Yep, but not everyone can use after effect, and i think giant letters on planet would be cool, and could open the field to more cool videos.
  5. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Correct, from 3ds max you export the model as a fbx (see https://forums.uberent.com/threads/reference-papadump-exe-papatran-exe.48386/) Now its the texturing bit were i got stuck. But speaking to other people the conclusion is

6. cobalfrostwyrm

Ooooooh, so the problem is just baking the maps?WHere abouts can i read how maps should be set up? (size, normals, what information goers in what channel for tyhings like specular and alpha's, etc)
    No worries then, I've got just the stuff for that. I'll be back on sunday.

[edit] Ok I see fbx exports are a problem too. this is "normal" considering that fact that autodesk themselves arent capable of writing a fully functional in/exporter for max.
    [/edit]
  7. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

After speaking to @mgmetal13 who textures for https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-server-orbital-warfare-overhaul.62878/ This was the pointers he gave. Thanks again mgmetal13.
    Last edited: January 22, 2015
    Nicb1 likes this.
  8. cobalfrostwyrm

Woops. Forgot I would look at this sunday. Only remembered just now when browsing this forum.
    I'll see if I can do it in the comming evenings.
  9. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member