The commanders that never woke up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by endurrr, January 15, 2015.

?

Somewhere down the line, would you like to see this implemented?

1. YES. PLS UBER

85.0%
  2. Nah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't care either way

15.0%
  1. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

We all remember that wonderful launch trailer that showed the dormant commanders and their reawakening. But did all of them come back online? Couldn't there be a chance that whatever put them to sleep did a permanent toll on them? There is wreckage of ancient unit cannons, why not dead commanders buried in the earth?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They would look something like this of course. Perhaps reclaimable?

I think it would be a nice little add-on to see in the future.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Bonus points if you could make the re-activatable for additional lives (on specific maps, would be awesome in a big FFA)...
    Remy561 and stuart98 like this.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Maybe not in real games, but this would be a great way to pick up sub commanders in GW
  4. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I KNEW I recognised you when you beat me earlier! You're a forumite.

Anyway, nice idea, can't imagine it'd be very hard to put in and it would be a really awesome way of getting sub-comms in galactic war as conundrum said. Not exactly top priority stuff though... Unless any modders want to take it on.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Only if they can kasplode like normal commanders.

Genius!
    Remy561 likes this.
  6. Deletive

Deletive Member

It would be nice if this was implimented just like in a MOBA where there is Garen and Roshan but this commander just gave extra resources as you reclaim.
  7. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

:D GG! That was a nice game, fun playing with you :)

Yeah I think it would be easy to put in too. I'm really not too sure about making sub commanders in galactic war. I mean yeah cool but then everyone will want it in regular multiplayer and I think uber has already stated that they don't want sub commanders in the game outside of galactic war. The difference is, sub commanders are in galactic war as a loadout only (As far as I know) and used to be in as tech. It would be cool to see sub commanders as dormant commanders to bring back online, but I don't think uber wants to go for that.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  8. darkgodmaster

darkgodmaster New Member

It would be nice to make them reclaimable with the risk of setting of a nuclear explosion.
    However for ranked games this would be a no go since on party can get a enormous metal boost, unless you make it sit in the middle of the map, then it could be a target for expansion.
  9. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Ok, another whacky idea that would never probably be implemented, at least not in the standard game: you could have them activateable, but there's nothing to say they'd be on your team. So for some energy cost or something you could insert a new, un-allied AI commander into the game. It would add a nice little strategic point of interest: if they're near your enemy you want to try and activate it to give them another annoyance to have to deal with, and you want to stop your enemy doing the same if it's near your base.

Energy cost would have to be quite low since AI comms don't pose that much of a threat...

Not a very serious suggestion, but it would be a fun game mode to have available one day!
    corteks and cdrkf like this.
  10. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Like all things, there should be an option if you should be able to reactivate them... However, it would be like completely buying a new one (metal wise) and would be incredulously expensive to invest in. One with low metal might opt to reclaim it in order to boost their army or get T2 early, or they could elect to keep it for a moment so that later you could cram fabricators around it and revive it- Particularly valuable on FFAs, while less favorable on team games. I like the idea b/c it would make the player(s) analyze their environment b4 making a permanent decision.
  11. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

More artifacts and leftovers from previous wars would be awesome!!
  12. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

PLS UBER FIX YOUR SINGLE PLAYER TO ACTUALLY HAVE A STORY THIS NEEDS TO BE A THING!
  13. jeffrobot

jeffrobot Member

It would be very cool to have reactivatable commanders. I don't think they need to have their own army, either. It would be worth fighting over them in some situations even if they just joined your side, because it's an extra life. Also probably a lot easier to program them joining your army than having their own.