Reporting System needed!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by smithforce4305, January 13, 2015.

1. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Honestly, with this many players, it doesn't seem as if there's a big issue. The majority seem quite nice, but then again, one bad apple can ruin the bunch.

A report system would be handy. It could even make Uber's job easier because it's all sorted (more or less) and in one place?

Also: I commend you for being wise enough to black out the offender's name.
    Last edited: January 15, 2015
  2. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

But... but... won't someone think of the children?
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Did you win the game? :)
  4. sechastain

sechastain Member

Actually, yeah - I like to let my kids play this game. But it's these kinds of asshats that makes me hesitant to let them play (or watch me play) multiplayer.

Not that my kids can't handle it. I just don't want them getting the impression that it's okay or the thing to do.

Without a reporting system in place, it's hard to tell them how to properly a handle situation like that. The only thing to do is to ignore it, which really isn't appropriate.

The right response is to shame / bring down the reputation of people who do engage in such infantile and crude behavior. A reporting system is basically an anonymous way of doing that.

To be fair to Uber, though, it also introduces potential for a kind of reversed game, wherein groups of individuals troll targeted individuals by reporting the target in bad-faith. Even if they score a temporary ban, these groups feel like they've won their game.

The only real solution then is to have ever present lurking mods. Which can be expensive if they are representatives of Uber.

So, not as easy a problem as it at first seems.
    tatsujb, cptconundrum and cdrkf like this.
  5. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Please submit screenshots and any information regarding the incident to Support. In the meantime, you can block this user by going to the Social Icon, selecting the Recent tab, and right-clicking this user's name to block him.
    MrTBSC, kayonsmit101, Nicb1 and 4 others like this.
  6. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

WOW.. so uncool.. that REALLY takes the fun out of playing.
  7. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

An in game reporting system would need a way to prevent revenge reporting.. ie Someone reporting you because they didn't like losing to you.

Perhaps a some kind of manners ranking system.. :)
  8. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

No. It's real simple. If you don't like how someone else plays the game, don't play with them. As Mark pointed out above, you can block them.

Censorship, like charity, should begin at home, but, unlike charity, it should end there.
    - Clare Boothe Luce

also...
    tatsujb likes this.
  9. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I respectively disagree. IMHO there is no reason to allow this behavior.
  10. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="jamiem,

No. It's real simple. If you don't like how someone else plays the game, don't play with them. As Mark pointed out above, you can block them.

Censorship, like charity, should begin at home, but, unlike charity, it should end there.
    - Clare Boothe Luce

also... [/QUOTE]

To me this idea fails because I don't want to play with "jerks". So if someone is a problem child I would like to know before engaging in a game with them.
  11. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

I've got over 600 hours on this game and I've run into people typing childish nonsense maybe two or three times. People need to check their censorious urges.
    theseeker2 likes this.
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Banning harassment and abuse is not even close to censorship of free speech.
    stuart98, MrTBSC, squishypon3 and 3 others like this.
  13. smithforce4305

smithforce4305 Active Member

No it doesn't if he insults me but if other new players get the same problem or the same player then they might quit the game and or not recommend it to other people.
  14. smithforce4305

You have 3 guesses if you get them wrong I take your first born child
  15. scandalistt

scandalistt New Member

if a report system is put in place, please for the love of god avoid making the mistakes dota 2 made.
  16. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say that something needs to be implemented, not like marshal law or just full on player decided chat mutes but something to make it not worth a players time to BM or piss off other players.
    cptconundrum and sechastain like this.
  17. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

sensitivity has no place here, as long as it's not death threats or other illegal activity, there shouldn't be a problem
    deal w/it
  18. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

I just leave this here for further inspiration
    slocke, devoh, squishypon3 and 2 others like this.
  19. jimosfear

jimosfear Member

What do you suggest happens if someone is reported, or reported multiple times? You can't ban them from playing the game they have paid for.

I reckon you should:
    • choose not to play with the person who offended you
    • ignore them
    • insult them back
    • harden up
    I'm not interested in the fact that you may have children who play the game. Your role is to supervise them, disallow them access or accept that they will be exposed to unsavory language every now and then. It is not going to harm them.
    theseeker2 and jamiem like this.
  20. smithforce4305

I'm sure others would disagree
    devoh likes this.