Multi solar systems in same battle? (Not binary systems)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cybrankrogoth, January 11, 2015.

?

40 player single battle in 2 or more solar systems. 10+ planets divided over 2 or more suns.

1. I'm Interested

76.3%
  2. I'm not interested

23.7%
  1. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

Well in theory the server could use a separate CPU core to run each solar system and they only transfer units by stargate or something similar.
  2. genouious

genouious Member

Just having multiple star systems which are accessible through current game means, Orbital, unit cannon, etc, will be little different to just having one system with the same number of planets. Now I am possibly wrong on this as I know little of how the engine operates but all that I believe this will change is that the game will have to simulate two separate orbital systems rather than one, which I would assume will be more taxing than just simulating one single system. I'd imagine this could get especially problematic if both systems were particularly large and contained within them moons and asteroids, then again I could be wrong.

So in conclusion and in response to the OPs question, just adding in multi system play with no new mechanics to reach said separate systems will add little to the overall game and will more heavily tax the games engine than it is at the moment.

That being said reading other user comments and points, the addition of capturable jump gates (capturable in a similar manner to metal planets) could add extra spice to an orbital game. Additionally wormholes could be added as a new orbital planet type... thing. However when you consider the difficulty of capturing a heavily locked down planet you can imagine the advantage a player could acquire by simply rushing to get through one of these portals heavily defending it and then mining an entire systems worth of resources whilst being free to attack the opponents planets at his leisure. I am speaking as a player who primarily plays against the CPU as well as who watches the occasionally replay here and there and this is certainly what I would do if this kind of play was introduced.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Hell I don't even play with a extra moon around a single planet.

I one planet every game, because the game just feels better that way.
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

because, as you said, "One simply cannot bring enough attention to bear beyond that"... The more planets there are, the more chances a newbie has of going unseen and undestroyed.
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

you're wrong, I like my feeder planets tyvm
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i currently do it mainly because of hardware ... the other is orbital missing flexibility ... i.e. propper transports teleporters and some traveltimetweaking

otherwise i would play a three planetsystem more regularly
  7. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

We've already given you our opinion on the practical/possible chance to make it a reality. Almost none at all. Sorry but it's not where this game is going at least in vanilla. In 5 years, on modded, source? Maybe.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Somthing so wrong feels so, so right.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

considering how large it can be in this state already ... realy the rest is rather hardwarelimitations for the most part ...
    i can see a tiny "pseudogalaxy"-system to be made down the future ...
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Oh my.~
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. guest1

guest1 Active Member

Ah.

Ahaha.

[​IMG]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. squishypon3

Is... is this legit? Guest you're the... best.

Huehue, rhymes. <3
  13. guest1

guest1 Active Member

depends on your definition of "legit"

They're basically reskinned gas giants, although you could pretty easily disable jigs from being built on them.
    Last edited: January 12, 2015
    philoscience, cdrkf and squishypon3 like this.
  14. squishypon3

Good enough for me, only you'd need to allow them to be really really far out of the initial system.
  15. Hazorazor

Hazorazor New Member

As someone who wants at least 20 players in a game, be good for around 24 I think this would be great for LAN play where you want to have heaps of people in a intergalactic war all in real time. For it to be worthwhile though the orbital needs to be adjusted to have actual battle cruisers and such, and they won't be OP if tactical missiles and nukes could hit orbital targets. I like the Orbital Overhaul mod but I would prefer something from Uber which doesn't require installing PAMM.
  16. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

I want this to happen but at the same time I feel like this would turn into the game of lag for those with steal platted toasters...
  17. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

We only need the game engine to allow it, and as long as we're using servers online we are removing lots of the demand from steel plated toasters.

At the very least, I'm not asking for a game with 4 systems, and 10 huge 3000 radius planets per system in a 100 player game.

So I think a practical solution can be made and implemented now on a smaller scale, or the engine be changed to allow it later :)
  18. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Just because it is cool. Does not need lots of coding. Work needed to cool factor is high in this one. I approve.
    PA need more cool stuff, it >looks< bland compared to SCFA, gameplay is fun, but honestly PA is ugly child.
  19. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

I fear this isn't enough, if you have limited resources.
    Honestly, multiple systems do not add something new to the game. They do not change the topology of the play ground as the step from one planet to multiple planets did.
  20. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Is it true then that you havent played any 4x space age game? That deals with multiple solar systems etc?
    Like the original post, sins of a solar empire, or space empires?

If you had played games like that, you could see how things change by having a second or 3rd solar system that you can only invade by big transport. If you say that categorically speaking, nothing new is added?
    Well obviously, we won't add any more tanks either, because we already have tanks. No new bots, we have bots. Why would we create a bigger unit roster? It's just adding more of what we already have?