People really want a save feature

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, January 11, 2015.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

With the recent sales and such, it's clear as day that people want a save feature, it's mentioned in every review and every discussion at least once. People's "initial thoughts" always include something that has to do with a saving feature.

I just want to say the common theme (I've been lurking around there for a while recently) around steam right now is lack of saving, and I think Uber should really make this one of the top priorities.
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

ya, some of my GW games can last over an hour long, and i need to leave before i finish it, and i KNOW i can win it, and dont want to start all over =P
    ReddWolff and warrenkc like this.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Some people on steam seem intent on attacking the game no matter what, or Uber. However, I agree that in nearly every single negative thread or review it mentions the lack of mid game save. I don't mind that it is more difficult to implement so is taking longer, but with no update for a while and the general assumption that saves should be easy to do, it is really hurting the overall view of the game. I feel that, once mid game saves are in, and if galactic war is further developed, people will have a lot less to moan about, particularly those single players.
  4. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I like how you take a perfectly valid complaint about a feature that should have been live on release, and spin it into "people intent on attacking [PA] no matter what" and "those single players [moaning]". That's taking arrogance and lack of consideration for other priorities than your own to a whole new level.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Save feature is a good idea and something commented on in both negative and positive reviews.

There is a small, vocal anti uber group out there who keep cropping up in reviews and such, however I think we need to be careful not to write off all criticisms on this basis. I mean as much as I love the game, it's quite reasonable to write a fair negative review if it's for valid reasons. People who prefer complex unit abilities and such, or who love single player story driven campaigns aren't going to get on with pa and pointing that out in a reasonable manor is useful feedback to potential buyers with similar taste.

What isn't helpful is the crowd declaring 'this game sux, its a scam...' Type stuff especially when they base most their arguments on at best out dated information (or at worst total fallacies) and I think that is the group dz1 was referring to.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah the save game feature is a perfect candidate for the next "big thing" that should be implemented.
    Sure some people really troll about whatever they can, but I am pretty sure that a lot of people really want savegames and a lot of people really honestly have no time to play many hour games in one go.

Also I myself want it for build order development reasons
    ReddWolff, xankar, lokiCML and 4 others like this.
  7. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Sorry, that was poorly worded. I think it is an entirely valid complaint and agree it should have been in at or near launch. I also think some people, who have other grievances with the game, use it as a reason not to buy the game, or another reason to boycott Uber.

And if it helps, I include myself as one of those moaning players who would like a more fleshed out and complete single player experience :)
  8. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I REALLY hope saving is the next big thing @jables is teasing at. That or GW improvements.
    kaminfreunde likes this.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'd consider a savefeature a very important request from GW players. The complaint "wait I can't save this" is pretty common.
    xankar, lokiCML, squishypon3 and 2 others like this.
  10. Swordsith

Swordsith New Member

It would also allow gw players to play more aggressively and try different strategys without the risk of losing their gw campaigns due to a blunder that would currently end their current gw sort of like a mid-game safety net.
  11. woozywyvern

woozywyvern New Member

I'm going to add my voice to this. Save Game feature during an attack on a solar system in GW is a must for me. I just bought the game today, and I am enjoying it and the concept of it very much ... but the fact that I cannot save puts a real crimp on me wanting to play it.
    radongog, drz1 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  12. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

I don't think I would use it much but if it will quiet the peanut gallery on steam reviews, I'm all for it.
    drz1 likes this.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

savegames is pretty much the reason i don´t play GW primarily ... aswell as too much rng with the techcards ... GW needs some serious love ... as for multiplayer ... with the exception of intresting pure orbital play, missing multiunittransports and factoryassisfunction, and hovercraftfactory + hovercraftset ( the later being rather personal preference) ... it´s actualy ok so far
    Last edited: January 11, 2015
    drz1 likes this.
  14. Jackbandanna

Not sure if this works anymore but if I'm play GW and am about to die, I just close PA (Ctrl Alt Delete if needed) and just start the same battle. Keeps you from having to start from square one and lets you keep all your tech. Just be sure to close PA before your Com dies, or else it will say you were Annihilated.
  15. MrTBSC

i don´t want to have to do that ... simple enough ... i rather want to be able to start from anywere in the gameprozess i played up to ... either that or have classic savestates ...
  16. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Considering how a Save feature is so standard, even going back many years, I really hope this is also the big thing they have teased.

It is useful for a lot of people, and not everyone has endless hours of game time.

As also stated, it's good for testing and bug hunting, as you can use the same Save to test multiple things, multiple times.
  17. Jackbandanna

Ok not my point, just trying to help you out on the current setup.

For single player GW I can see that being useful and in line with previous games. Would be easier to implement than the multiplayer save games, which I've seen people wanting also.
  18. MrTBSC

no offense taken or anything, neither wanted to offend you ... sry if did ...
    Jackbandanna likes this.
  19. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

I think we all know how hard it is to implement a save game feature in PA. It sounds strange, but if you remember how the chronocam does work I believe it will take TONS of data that you have to store.
    (think about how long it takes to load a massive replay...)
    So yes, I can understand that it hasn´t been implemented yet. What I still do not understand is why uber doesn´t do even more agressive marketing!
    You have to post your roadmaps at EVERY POSSIBLE TIME (-> at every update!), you have to do as MANY ESTIMATIONS AS POSSIBLE and so on...
    cptconundrum likes this.
  20. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

Would it not be great to use chronocam and whenever you want you can take over control and future time is erased. It is then a next thing about savegames.
    So you can replay your replays against ai.