So, system are saved on system drive and not game foler...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ef32, October 12, 2014.

1. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

I formatted C:\ and now all my custom systems are gone :(

Dozens of hours of work... all gone... :(
    [​IMG]
    Remy561 likes this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The next system generator patch would've killed them anyway.
  3. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

That's some good news.

But why game folder is not good for saving game related stuff? I never understood this.
    I didn't delete game folder, all my bindings are fine. Why couldn't systems be saved in same location?

Some later C&C would litter every single corner of your system drive, say you install it under d:\games. but you'd find bits of it in my documents, appdata\local, appdata\roaming, appdata\locallow, program files, programdata and god knows where else, those were just my findings.
  4. cola_colin

They are trying to separate the user data from the program data. I agree it's kinda horrible how every program uses their own folder for that and most of them are hidden.
    For PA everything is in:
    "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It's so that- when a player deletes a game, they get to keep the saves and such in case they reinstall it.
  6. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Simple reason: Programms on a NT (NT, 2k, XP and every 6.x system) styles system cannot asume Write rights to the programm folder.

There is one place and one place only where we programmers can asume write rights: The user profile folder.
    Bindings are stored with the playfab. They are stored on the server, not your computer!
    Last edited: October 12, 2014
    towerbabbel and cptconundrum like this.
  7. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

Well, I'll know better next time. I'm too used to stuff being saved in clouds, I guess.

Saddest thing is that whole system reinstall didn't solve my problem :(
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Yeah that sucks.. Windows trying too hard, just let me manage my own data. That way I can just blame myself when I lose everything.
  9. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Which is particularly annoying for those with partitioned disks and/or multiple hard drives.
    Wish I knew a good setup for NOT having everything always saved to one drive...
  10. cola_colin

symlinks
  11. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

There is.
    User folders could be moved as far back as Windows XP. Back then I made it a habbit to store My Documents on another harddrive using the built-in ways to do so. As long as windows knows where the folder is, every programm running on windows can figure out the right path.

With Vista the process got a bit more finely granulated/slightly more tiresome to set up.
    While it is possible to jsut completely move the Users folder using hardlinks, this is not recommended anymore:
    http://docs-windows.readthedocs.org/en/latest/move-users-to-another-drive.html
    Instead you can jsut move specific librarires to another drive:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2079571/move-your-libraries-to-a-second-drive-or-partition.html
    It cannot be applied to 100%, but it applies to all those that matter/you want to save during a reinstallation.
  12. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Best way, if you're using Windows 7, is to install, run the audit mode setup, and run a couple commands to tell Windows to install your user folder on another drive.

See this PDF for details

This makes everything in windows actually know where the users folder is, rather than using symbolic links or junctions.

The only caveat is that some programmers / programs assume that c:\Users is always there, so you may get the occasional program being stupid - you can get around that by making a symlink after installing windows, but it's not always required.
  13. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

Hmm... is there a way to retrieve systems from replays? I am trying to rebuild my collection, but I can't get to the level of awesome I had before.
  14. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

So, I've bought a new pc, copied %appdata%\local\uber\planetary annihilation to my new pc, PAMM sees all the mods I had, but I don't have any of my planets.

Can anyone please tell me where custom planets are saved?
  15. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I did a reg edit so all that stuff is on my other drive.
    All I have on my SSD is Windows and Kaspersky. Everything else is on my 2TB HDD.
  16. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

If only there was a blue box that you could go into, go back in time and stop yourself from formatting
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you don't ever format C until you've gone through it all.

FAFreplays, minecraft saves, tons of other files are in places other than the user folder.

you were too hasty, lesson learnt I guess.