Rank Visibility, Leaderboards and Seasonal Rewards

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Crymaw, December 31, 2014.

1. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

I've been thoroughly enjoying the addition of the ranked ladders, and the updates since then (new maps, unit cannons etc.), and some of the features like being able to watch the replays of top players (I really like that one), however, I feel there are a few features that could really improve the overall experience.

Firstly, rank visibility is a problem: there's no way to tell what rank your opponent is before or after a match, and there's no way even friends can see what your rank is. The ranks come with such nice little emblems, but they're your own little secret that nobody else can see. You can't even search for a username on the leaderboards.

The leaderboards themselves could use some additional information: there's no indication of total wins, losses or win rates, and only the top players are listed.

Now, perhaps all this was done purposely so as not to discourage new players: it can be disheartening to see you have a low win-rate, or to see that you're about to fight an Uber player and you're in silver league. I would however argue, that anybody who's serious about climbing the ladder would like to know these stats, so I would suggest that either these stats and opponent ranks are available to players in higher leagues (like in Starcraft 2), or there is an option which would allow us to see them.

I for one would very much like to know what rank my opponent is - either before or after the match - and what my win rate is.

Finally, perhaps Uber already has some of these planned - in which case please drop me a sly wink in my PM box - but would it be possible to give out rewards to ranked players at the end of the season? A little badge which shows in game lobbies perhaps, or a boarder that shows in match loading screens around your commander? Perhaps even unique colours: I really liked the idea of getting exclusive team colours for the Human Resources Kickstarter.

Thoughts and suggestions?
    Swordsith, tatsujb and Zaphys like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Are we making a e-sport or can we expect some non-multiplayer features before we update the very new ladder system?
    lokiCML likes this.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think players should get an option to make their rank public or leave it private in the game's settings.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Based on the discussion about smurfs, the ladder needs to penalise inactive players (especially towards the top of the ladder, possibly weighted) to help ensure there is a bit more turnover. Current #1 and #2 slots held be inactive players yet due to the weighting of the point system (losses cost more than wins gain) no one has been able to overtake either.
    squishypon3 and cptconundrum like this.
  5. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

Yeah, sorry, let me just remember to post my feedback on this issue in a few months to give others the room they need to talk about their own thoughts, hehe, JK.

I am sure there's enough space in the forum to make your own thread titled, "what's next for PA?"
    tatsujb and igncom1 like this.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Very true.
  7. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

I talked about this in my post Ladder Statistics?.
    @raevn could you merge mine into his? Leave his on top as it seems a little better thought out.
  8. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

9. elodea

elodea Post Master General

This is actually not necessarily true. Just because someone has a higher rank than their opponent does not mean losses cost more than wins.
  10. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

11. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

PA ranking sysystem is based off glicko
    Crymaw likes this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Eww.. Elo, maybe Glicko Is a bit better- but where's my trueskill? (Uberskill? :D )
  13. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

Ah, alright, thanks!