Total Biscuit

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by epic4242, January 2, 2015.

1. epic4242

epic4242 Member

YouTube cooptional podcast from December 30th

About an hour and five minutes in he talked about the units in PA.

Total biscuit is a Genius I seriously think this should be looked at.
    verybad likes this.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

A link sure would be handy :)
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Planetary annihilation is just like PA to supcom and rome total war 1 to rome total war 2......the battles are just not fun the second time around, because they do to much with it
    also it was interesting that totalbiscuit brought up supcom2 and nailed it that getting to the cool units faster was actually better (IE the experimentals)
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

5. spicyquesidilla

spicyquesidilla Active Member

His points about unit personality are really good.

This game could really benefit from some fun and creative units.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

And supcom2!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
    BulletMagnet likes this.
  7. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Agreed, but I still love the multiple planets concept of PA ;)
    radongog and nawrot like this.
  8. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

I think the battles in PA are much better than the battles in SupCom2. With SupCom2 a whole game could be decided by the first battle, at least with PA you've got somewhat of a chance to pull back and re-group. I also like how quickly the units die in PA.
  9. igncom1

Not if you played supcom 2 properly it couldn't.

It's more like a command and conquer game in most regards, and it has the same chance of having the first battle decide the game as any supcom game ever did.
  10. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

++1 to this. Big scope of PA is something i love.

But if Sup Com 2 had custom maps, or random generated maps like PA, i would probably not touch PA ever.
    wilhelmvx and Remy561 like this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

pa difficult to navigate use units since it uses nonstandart maps is not realy that big a deal ... the problem on that front it lacks a propper tutorial ... a bit more harder is to be able to work with multiple planets and the orbital layer ... the rest is getting used to ...
    as for blant units ... honestly with a few exceptions i found alnost all uef t1 and t2 units blant t3 are simply powerhouseunits ...
    cybran had few cool t2 ones aswell but otherwise the same issue with t2 and t1 ...
    never was a fan of any seraphim or aeon unit with the exception of the blaze and mercy ...
    no reason to have more factions ... which is weird reasoning for blant units ...
    just make the existing units look more intresting like with the original renegade and what it looked later in fa ...

realy what i take from most complains is rather the lack of eyecandy more than anything ...
    Last edited: January 2, 2015
  12. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Its not like we have told this to Uber over and over and over and over again.... :rolleyes:
    zweistein000 and KNight like this.
  13. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Video is 2 hours long... around when do they discuss PA?
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yepp and they have all the time and budget and manpower in the world ...
  15. igncom1

In like the first 3o mins if I remember correctly.
  16. orangerinapay

orangerinapay Active Member

Actually it's in the OP, one hour and 5 minutes in.
    igncom1 likes this.
  17. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

This has nothing at all to do with budget.
    They could have designed the units differently from the beginning. The Bluehawk and Gil-E are perfectly good examples of nice unit design, and they both did not have any old, simpler designs - they were like this the moment they were put into the game (yes I know the Gil-E used an old artillery bot model at first).
    If they had gone this route from the start of the design process, there would be less to complain about.
    onyxia2, wilhelmvx and igncom1 like this.
  18. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Ah, about 10 minutes. From the 1:00 mark. It's not so much about PA as it is about SC:2.
    igncom1 likes this.
  19. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

That´s the idea the whole game is based on, it would be crappy if we´d dislike it! :eek:
    Remy561 and igncom1 like this.
  20. KNight

KNight Post Master General

This was always a potential pitfall with going with a single faction/unit pool. It's like anything else, intent is one thing but execution is another. Regardless of the raw number of "different" units there are in PA there just isn't that much to get actually excited about in terms of individual unit mechanics because they're all "stock", cut and dry roles/designs as it were. It's not so much that you can't have boring units. After all you do what a handful of units that are super easy to grasp and use but you have to minimize your dependance on stuff like that. I think the Ant is fine as is but it needs to be contrasted by exciting stuff like an awkward Tank hunker with a large hull mounted cannon for a zippy little flame thrower tank that explodes into a fireball on death. You can't complement a "Standard" tank with a bigger "Standard" tank.

Mike
    pieman2906, lokiCML, ace63 and 3 others like this.