Pretty Screenshots! - Page #15 to see Robots Die on the Die! - 09.12.15

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, May 13, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Just thinking, is it possible to detect when the camera is under the surface of the water? If yes then wouldn't the simple solution be to put a hue over everything to make it feel like 'underwater'?

Also, probably being silly here, but surely if you rendered both surfaces in such a way that they look 'the same' from either side would it actually be a problem if they intersected? I mean could you not use that to your advantage and make the water appear to be 'moving'? I'm assuming it's not so easy though...
  2. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

So, here's an example of the issue we face when doing transparencies.
    [​IMG]

The top image is what you expect to see. The surfaces closer to the viewer rendering on top of the surfaces behind it.
    The bottom image is what can happen if the order the polygons are drawn in is reversed. The surface in the back is rendering on top of the surface closer to the view.

So the obvious solution is just make sure they're ordered like they are in the top image, right? Well, no, because the bottom image is the same object rotated 180 degrees. It's all determined by the order the polygons are stored in the model!
  3. m1dnightmoose

m1dnightmoose Active Member

You are jebus. I can't handle myself right now *breaks down and cries on floor*

<3
    Remy561 likes this.
  4. m1dnightmoose

I'd also love the response time, that must be a world record!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: November 20, 2014
    Alpha2546, xankar and Remy561 like this.
  5. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

ow that makes my mind hurt
    corteks and squishypon3 like this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

holy smokes! well done!!!!!
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

With fix PA now looks awesome! :)

If anyone interested in code changes here is diff:
    Code:
    @: diff ./stable/media/shaders/light_fog.fs ./PTE/media/shaders/light_fog.fs
    33c33
    <     if (ofs_proj < 0.0)
    ---
    >     if (ofs_proj < 0.0 && dot(offset, offset) > radius2)
    35c35
    <         // Ray pointing away from sphere
    ---
    >         // Ray pointing away from sphere and camera outside of sphere
    65a66
    > 
    76a78,79
    >     // out_FragColor = light_fog_color;
    >     // return;
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  8. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

More to come after 17.12.14...
    Last edited: December 10, 2014
  9. m1dnightmoose

I promised some of the unit cannon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm not sure why the pods changed colour to blue they were mine but its not noticeable unless you get in close. Hope you liked ill post again soon!!

<3
    tunsel11, DeathByDenim, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  10. steambirds

steambirds Member

The unit cannon cannot fire from a moon onto a planet like in the KS trailer? That sucks.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

errr they can? but can also vise versa ... or are you speacking about direct line of flightpath?
    the later would have severly limited the usefullness of the unitcannon ...
    Last edited: December 29, 2014
  12. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

What gave you that impression?
    corteks and stuart98 like this.
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

People.

Take some screens with ModX.

Now.

That's an order.

I MEAN NOW, DANGIT!
    Antiglow, theseeker2 and Nicb1 like this.
  14. kolosal98

kolosal98 Member

So object buffer (multi pass) wouldn't help? Shading a bit stronger second plan and brightening first wouldn't make a trick? I've done this a few times on static images and worked, but didn't try on animation yet.
  15. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Real time transparency rendering is a balance between performance and accuracy. The more you break up a model into parts, the slower it is to render but the more accurate it gets. For each part you render separate there's overhead in telling the video card to render "this thing", and then you have to sort those objects before you give them to the GPU on the CPU which takes time. In the simple case of a basic curve like my example or a sphere it can be solved by doing single sided rendering and having separate convex polys and concave polys and pre-sorting them in the model, but objects are rarely that simple.

We could break down a model to individual polygons and sort those. This is what we do for particle systems already, as they're a cloud of individual quads, but we make some assumptions here and sort by their center position ignoring any perspective depth they might have. This also doesn't solve intersecting surfaces because we're still only ever sorting on the polygon level.

The future will likely be per-pixel level sorting. It's an idea that's been around since the 90's and implementable for the last several years (with AMD and Nvidia both having examples along with countless independent research projects). It's gone by names like a-buffer, k-buffer, zz-buffer, per-pixel linked lists, etc. The concept behind them are all essentially the same of instead of rendering out everything into a single 2d image in the order they're rendered, store every rendered pass of a pixel on it's own with it's own depth. At the end sort the depth of each collection of pixels on the video card. Problem solved!

However the reason why almost no one uses this is because it's even slower. Much, much slower. DX12 class video cards may finally bring these techniques to the performance needed to be used in games, but more likely a newer technique from Intel called order-independent transparency approximation with pixel synchronization will be adopted by others. I know Nvidia has already alluded to having support for it in their DX12 cards, and that it may be a DX12 required feature, though Intel and Nvidia usually see eye to eye and AMD does not so I don't believe it's confirmed.

If you want to go down this rabbit hole just look up "order-independent transparency".
  16. m1dnightmoose

Some screens from a recent game i liked
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy some (maybe) wallpapers. For more click THIS mysterious link (promise its not virus)
  17. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

Dat octagon planet
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Love the shots, hated the artificial lens flare :p
  19. patthewmotter

patthewmotter New Member

Hey guys! First time doing screenshots, so for all i know they are rubbish. I hope however that you like them. Oh and happy new year! 2014-12-31_00013.jpg 2014-12-31_00012.jpg 2014-12-31_00006.jpg 2014-12-31_00010.jpg
    Last edited: January 1, 2015
  20. m1dnightmoose

The new radar effect thing????