Thinking about upgrading my pc what should i change?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tommybananas, December 28, 2014.

1. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

Hey guys title says it all :)
    Currently i run but i think its starting to get a bit dated so im curious about upgrading or saying **** it and saving for a brand new build
    Processor - i5 2500k @3.3GHz
    Mother board - Asustek P8P67
    Ram 8gig ddr3 @800MHz
    Graphics - Nividia Geforce GTX 560 Ti
    Not sure what my power supply ect is :)
    any suggestions ?

Attached Files:

2. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Your current processor will still keep up if you overclock it so the only sensible upgrade to this system would be to get a new graphics card, without knowing your budget I'd recommend a GTX 970. You should take a look at the power supply and give us the model so we can be sure that it's compatible with whatever you're getting, if you're getting anything.
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

You're current set up is still on post or higher for much gaming computers except for your video card. A GTX970 will blow that 560ti out of the water and probably pull around the same amount of power. As long as you have a 750w PSU from a decent brand, you shouldn't have to change anything else, though 650w may work. It also could be beneficial,if your into fast load times, to get a SSD for your boot drive.
  4. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hesitate to run it with a quality 450 watter. The system would barely draw 200W unless you're torture testing it.
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

@tommybananas. save up your pennies and nickels. Intel is launching a new architecture of CPU soon(ish). It will push current prices down, and possibly give you a good chip to buy.

Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be 100% incompatible with current boards, so there's no much of an upgrade path.

I'm doing exactly this. Hell, I even bought a dual-core processor to save money for when I upgrade in a month or two.
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Yep get a better graphics card. Next thing I'd upgrade after that would be your monitor if it's only 60hz.
  7. tommybananas

ah kk my current powersupply is a corsair cx600
    and @websterx01 i currently have a 32gig ssd just for my operating system atm :)
    websterx01 likes this.
  8. tommybananas

also the monitor thats at 60hz is my tv i have hooked up to my pc and i just use that for movies ect
    my current pc monitor is 100hz