What's missing from TA and SupCom in PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by darkagentx, December 26, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If you couldn't tell, my post was sarcastic. :)

Ta and SupCom both allowed air to fly off the edge of the map.
    elodea, squishypon3 and bengeocth like this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

.... well pa has no edges ... at least its planets ...
    bengeocth likes this.
  3. icehole

icehole New Member

For me what is missing is mainly the interface i contributed to kickstarter and am glad i done so but ultimately i simply hate this game i keep going back to Forged alliance because of the interface and lack of variety.
    The interface i think is holding this game back everyone i have shown it on my computer cant get their head around the revolving thing , And the same goes for me i have tried many times but each time i end up playing FA again .
    Sorry if the devs don't like this but for me it has to be said and i feel as a backer i have the right to do so. I would have loved for this game to be huge but the writing is on the wall its too hard to play for most people i am not talking about the balance i am talking about just playing it if it had normal rectangle maps i feel it would have been a different story.
    You only have to look at the take up of this game its not happening.
  4. felipec

felipec Active Member

Well, as I always say.. PA isn't a game to everybody.. you have to be at least a bit smarter than the average to play this game. Sorry dude =/
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

You may be interested in this exhaustive thread I made about adapting Total Annihilation's Spirit to PA.

I think many of these features could still be usefully implemented, particularly things like Unit Deployment and Terrain move-speed modifiers.
    Last edited: December 29, 2014
    Remy561 and darkagentx like this.
  6. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

shots fireXD
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

Pa does have a heck of a learning curve but in terms of newer players simply not wanting to "learn" the game I think that just goes to look at the single player in the game, a single player is suppose to teach the player how do play the game and have fun along the way...

PA doesn't, I think this is why some feel agitated about it because to try and learn the game it's like trying to smash you head against a wall to understand whats right and whats not. A good single player for any game is Story based education and fun....Pa is a block of text
    onyxia2 and cptconundrum like this.
  8. MrTBSC

would have cost them just another 2mil to make that scripted story campaign .... appearantly people still are not realizing or forgetting this
    squishypon3, cdrkf and cptconundrum like this.
  9. icehole

icehole New Member

would have cost them just another 2mil to make that scripted story campaign .... appearantly people still are not realizing or forgetting this

So instead they spend the money on making a game that no one is prepared to learn to play. When there are older game that are better and easier to play . Not good business sense to make money they need to get people playing loads of people playing this is not happening and when it don't happen the game dies.

You have only to look at the take up of this game even with the ultra cheap pricing not many people playing.
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

thatsthejoke.jpg
    squishypon3 and cptconundrum like this.
  11. darkagentx

darkagentx Member

Thanks for linking that, it's pretty interesting to see all the stuff that was in TA. I really should get around to playing it... but I'd have to put down PA first.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  12. MrTBSC

you seem to not get it ...
    they just didnt have the budged to make a propper singleplayer
    so it was multiplayerskirmish or nothing ... galactic war is merely an extra ..
    and there are enough ways to learn the game be it a tutorial or guide
    in the end you need practice anyway ... if an default easy ai doesnt help lower the rate of money it gets so you can test stuff around or set it to 1or 0 for sandbox ... i dont see any reason to have a fullblown singleplayercampaign soley for teaching ... in that case a good couple of well explained tutorialscenarios will do as well ....
    Last edited: December 28, 2014
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

I know, right?

There's certainly a lot more in TA, it's great fun. Pretty cheap too on Gog. I only catalogued stuff which I thought might possibly be adapted to PA.
  14. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

They set the bar too high. References to Supreme Commander, and Forged Alliance thrown about haphazardly…and the name Planetary “ANNIHILATION”. I expected a robust campaign, unique factions, and a damn good story. The best strategy games have good stories.

PS. This same thread is on the steam forums, or one with the same title.
  15. Deletive

Deletive Member

If you can make shields or force fields right then add them into the game. :D
  16. Quitch

Say what?
    xankar, cptconundrum and stuart98 like this.
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

So are you saying that you'd rather they not make the game at all rather than not include a campaign?

Excuse me good sir, are you mad?
    xankar and cdrkf like this.
  18. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Good stories are a very non-important feature for a strategy game.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  19. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

StarCraft 1&2, The Command and Conquer series, the Warhammer 40,000 series, Star Trek Armada 1&2, SUPCOM and FA, Star Wars Rebellion, Star Wars Empire at War + Forces of corruption, Warcarft 1-3, Warhammer Mark of Chaos, The Stronghold Series. All the previous games have strong lore and story driven campaigns. The following games have lore and unique factions, and the ability to craft your own story: The Civilization Series, Alpha Centauri, Endless Legend, and Endless Space. The following games use history to tell their stories: The Co0mpany of Heroes Series, The Europa Uneversalis Series, The Hearts of Iron Series, and Rise of Nations,
    The Total War Series.
  20. Quitch

There hasn't been a good story told in the history of the genre. Not one. There have been stories well presented, I'm happy to admit I'm a sucker for C&C3 and the multiple perspectives, but a good story? Hah!
    pizwitch likes this.