Why can't I pay the same as everyone else?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Shireknight, January 16, 2013.

1. whip

whip New Member

Some people also don't seem to understand that if Joe around the corner picks up a stone from the street and advertises to sell it for 25000 dollar, he is perfectly in his right to do that.
  2. Consili

Consili Member

Yep. This is exactly it. Crowd funding as a funding model especially needs to present value to people above and beyond what people pay at retail, otherwise people just buy at release. Just look at yourself as an example OP, you dont find the pre-order to be enough of an incentive to put money down early, so you aren't going to. Imagine if more people did that, the game may not have been funded.

By giving people a better deal during the funding period, backers can justify putting money down on a game which is not going to be ready for a year or more, rather than putting it down on a game which has already released and they could be playing right away. It also rewards people who helped get the game funded by allowing them to have the merchandise for a discounted rate.

However it is exactly that. A discounted rate. It makes sense when you are trying to raise enough capitol to get the project started, but it is not any way to produce a decent return. Hence why prices have to at some stage return to what the game is worth, what the devs time and overheads are worth. It is unrealistic to expect anything else and really undersells what a project like this is costing.

Finally in situations like this where a project is being funded by the community, pre-orders actually matter too. There is no publisher providing money, cracking whips and setting deadlines. It was entirely on the consumers in this instance to ensure that the game was funded, and pre-orders certainly add to and increase that success.
  3. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

It also happens to be the entire concept behind something we call a 'sale'.

Steam so owes me money if the OP was on target :D
  4. molloy

molloy Member

Never even noticed the backers lounge. Cool.
  5. Consili

Consili Member

Thanks for the heads up! I missed that notification.
  6. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I pledged $78 (£50) without even realising I'd get a copy of the game thrown in. Many people pledged much more than I did.

These are the people that are really passionate about the game and don't just see it as a bit of disposable entertainment that they'll buy if the price is right. These people also heard about it in time because they hang around in the places where the core audience can be found.

The preorder prices are perfectly fair, and if you're interested enough to want beta access then you can have it.
  7. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

We really dont know what its worth until we play it. If it gives the same game play value of TA & supcom, that epic feel..then its worth it!
  8. Shireknight

Shireknight Member

Yep one and the same mate :)
  9. Shireknight

Shireknight Member

Oh look PA (complete with Beta access) is now only £29.99 on Steam unfortunately based on comments from other people who are currently playing the game I don't want it anymore -maybe you should have taken my $40 when I offered it ;)
  10. thesonderval

thesonderval Member

The beta version is $49 on Uber's store So you could have gotten that.

Although frankly I'm just confused by your post.
  11. patashu

patashu New Member

You should be swayed to buy the game or not based on the merits of the game, not the people who happened to post in a thread on a forum. - I would say wait until the game is out, see what people are saying about it and then judge based on that.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  12. Shireknight

Shireknight Member

I did eventually get swayed but it was more by the £6 price tag than the reviews :)
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

4Zeah.jpg
    nlaush, igncom1, Nicb1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

It was probably wise to wait, the game really coming together nicely now :) how are you finding it btw?
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Lobbies :mad:

That's all for now. [​IMG]
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah the lobbies can be a pain. I think I may have an idea what was going on in the tourney though. I'll do some experiments to be sure...