I'm no longer playing 1v1 after these games.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, December 24, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Bombers bombs track, it's less of an issue as you make it out to be AFAIK.
    wilhelmvx and cptconundrum like this.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

As I see it, unit balance is working like this:

Dox are very good units because they can be a lot of places at once and then collapse on a weak spot with no warning. If the metal is spread out a lot, you will have a hard time defending against this kind of dox strategy with just tanks. Air is extremely good at killing large groups of dox, but bad at killing scattered dox. This encourages the player using dox to keep them spread out. Spread out dox are easily killed by any tanks that decide to just group up and walk into their base, so now you will want dox in groups to go hunt down their dox and you will want more dox to scatter and raid their expansions. You need bombers to bomb their grouped defending dox and fighters to kill their bombers. Both sides will be making tanks to assault each other's bases, but air doesn't do too much against those groups.

Somewhere along the way, someone can go orbital and start reclaiming mexes from orbit. Now both players need to make umbrellas and avengers. The only thing we really don't see are grenadiers.
    elodea likes this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Thanks for the help, but to be completely honest I did bot expect that guy to stomp me with dox on the lava planet until it was too late.

Also... Dox deathballs are much better than normal groups. I don't have that formation mod which allows custom rows of dox but I should get it.
  4. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

I don't see problems with dox's AA. Their "AA" are not effective. You just need in micro with your air a liitle. Dox not "OP" i think. They are just more "universal" units than bolo/infernos and ect.,which much more effective in specific situations at the right time.

Yea. I tried playing with them,but they are useless even on Styx system with current cost and battle characteristics((
    Last edited: December 24, 2014
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

Actually I've seen one awesome use of grenadiers - a handful of them behind a wall decimate pretty large attacks, including tanks.
  6. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

Wait... waaaaht? That's gotta be a bug right?
  7. PrinceAAwe

PrinceAAwe Member

If im correct u can shoot units behind walls if they are tall enough (like the com and torrents).. I could be wrong tho
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

@jables Uh, that's a good question. Is this a bug? It seems silly.
  9. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

So you lost a few games...big deal, your supposed to loose 50% of your games, not 1% to unlucky pairings against top-10 uber players where your already throwing in the towel anyways.
    STOP YOUR CRYING, ITS WAR!!! YOUR OPPONENT WILL SHOW YOU YOUR WEAKNESSES AND SHOW HIS STRENGTHS, ITS HIS JOB TO MAKE YOU LOSE, NOT TO MAKE YOU WIN!!! NOW GO OUT THERE AND DESTROY THINGS WITH MERCILESS NUKES AND MASSIVE ARMIES!!! THIS IS UBER ANNIHILATION, NOT UBER CUP-CAKES!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

teehee :D
    bengeocth likes this.
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Not complaining, I make the titles stand out for views [​IMG]

PS. Updated OP.
    Last edited: December 24, 2014
  11. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

can you do this for everyone?
  12. squishypon3

This is great actually, I didn't know that but that's awesome.

In TA units wouldn't even fire at enemies spotted on radar that were in their range without being told, unless you had a targeting facility.

I personally like this. :)
  13. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

@squishypon3 luckily,the targeting facility was always glitch for me and worked one in a blue moon :p
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Uh squishy that isn't true.

In TA units would fire at radar dots- they just missed 99% of the time (unless you got lucky or had something with AOE damage like a guardian).

The Targeting facility basically reduced the inaccuracy, and *more* targeting facilities meant radar targeting approached normal greatly improving your units long ranged effectiveness :)
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Somewhere I read of a bug that would cause units to keep shooting at the first target they decided on, even if higher priority targets come into range later. That might explain that behavior: The wall comes in range first.
    elodea likes this.
  16. squishypon3

Hmm.. are you sure? That might just be the community patch.

One sec I'll check the wiki in a bit.
  17. squishypon3

Nope seems I was right.

"The Targeting Facility is a level 3structure available to both the CORE and the ARM. It is very expensive to build and maintain, but when built it enables all of the player's armed units to automatically attack enemy units that are detected by radar and/or sonar regardless of vision. The CORE Targeting Facility consumes -1300 energy to stay active, while the ARM Targeting Facility uses -1250 energy."
    websterx01 likes this.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Off-topic but...
    http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=257889

Was that you?
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Squishy as someone *who played TA competitively online* for many years, I can tell you units *did* target radar dots by default. The Wiki is wrong, the targeting facility *improves accuracy*.

That was with the official 3.1 patch, the emg bug fix and the then current version of the clan-sy demo recorder installed (these were the standard options used for most games back around 99 - 2000 time frame).

Edit: In fact I'm going to see if I can get the old 3.1 patch and try this (it should still be knocking around on the net somewhere I'da thought)...
  20. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I am pretty sure you are wrong.
    squishypon3 likes this.