Anyone else bothered by the input buffering?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by Vleessjuu, February 10, 2011.

1. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

I don't think this is a major issue in the game, but I haven't seen a topic about it.

So what I want to discuss is the way the game buffers your input when it is unable to immediately do what you tell it to do. For example, when you're using a skill (like charge and hence you're unable to switch weapons) and you press the weapon switch button, the game will buffer that command and switch weapons as soon as the skill finishes. This is fine of course. What bothers me is how far ahead the game buffers. Let me give an example:

When you stutter (i.e. press twice rapidly) the weapon switch button in the example above, the game will not just switch your weapon, it'll also switch back to your old weapon immediately after that. Most of the time this is not a real problem, but sometimes it's really confusing when your character switches his weapon away when you didn't push the switch button for more than a second or so.

Another, slightly related problem, is that your character seems to insist on completing every task you gave him, even when (s)he's interupted. So if you're reloading your jetgun when it was still half full and you get grappled, the reload will be cancelled, but not the reload command. After the grapple, you'll be stuck reloading a half filled jetgun while you'd really prefer unloading the rest of the clip in his face.

Anyone else recognize these things?
  2. kotay

kotay New Member

yeah i notice it, the double weapon change is so annoying, would happen everytime, in the end i assigned weapon swap to a different button and just press the key for it instead, as scrolling would always double swap. And the reload is pretty annoying too.
  3. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

Mapping the weapon switch to q (like in every source game) was the very first thing I did for this exact reason. It still bothers me from time to time, though.
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

5, and 6 will pick your Primary and Secondary without fail.
  5. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

Yeah, that's true. The weapon switch was just an example though. In general, the input buffer is just too long for my liking. It applies to much more than weapon switching.
  6. grimbar

grimbar New Member

It only ever happened once to me (and fittingly it rendered me dead)

Not too fuzzed about it unless I'm into button-mashing (which ain't the case)
  7. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

its really annoying when you play a gunner.....
  8. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Mouse wheel down: Weapon 1
    Mouse wheel up: Weapon 2
  9. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

Meh, I really hate switching weapons with the mouse wheel. It feels way to clunky for me.
  10. Smaxx

Smaxx New Member

Never noticed it with weapons but there's some issue with taunts - I think it's related and/or maybe even the same. Sometimes I hit H twice by accident (just to ensure it registered). Then (sometimes) you're stuck in the usual third person view while the taunt animation should be played (which isn't happening). Seems like the second taunt is not accepted by the game (as you're taunting already) but that causes the camera/view/animation to reset as well.
  11. Mail

Mail New Member

This is what I use as well.