why no suggestion threads?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by vindicarea, December 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't know any RTS that has orders as first class entities. Basically asking for that is asking for a completely new, unproven and unknown to most concept to be implemented as an integral part of the PA UI.
    I think it is not that hard to understand Uber has not put that point that high up on the priority list.
    wilhelmvx likes this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

If you ask for something you should be prepared to follow through with it, whether the result is implementing ideas or just letting everyone know that they changed their minds about accepting suggestions.

I don't ask for someone to help me move and not tell them when I'm moving. It's just another example of how Uber's Communication at that time was lacking in regards to actual meaningful interaction.

Mike
  3. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Exactly. So why bother with PA? Might just as well play a WORKING game, if PA does not offer me a UI to compensate for it's unfinishedness.

Stupid UIs are the reason why I don't play StarCraft and co.
  4. cola_colin

The UI of starcraft 2 is really polished ;)

By that logic Uber should not ask anyone anything. It's pretty much impossible for them to follow through with that kind of thing. I mean they ask a simple question and get potentially hundreds of different answers that often conflict with each other.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Except there were units on that thread that were implemented.

Example: Boom Bots, and I believe the Grenadier was suggested (a generic artillery bot)

This is just another example of people being too self entitled in my honest opinion.

Might want to use some better words, please.
  6. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

True, I would only hope they ....improve? Galactic war, forget the new units and fluff, something that SC,TA, or many other good games is a believable story/universe and PA doesn't really have it>.< (I know it sorta does but I'm not a big fan of erading a block of text for every planet I move to)
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It doesn't have to be on an individual level, it could have been something as simple as "Hey guys, some of our development priorities had to move around so we won't be able to use these suggestions until later on but we're not sure when that will be yet."

Boom bots were mentioned by Neutrino as something they were already considering/testing in the first post, as for the Grenadier, if you describe it as "generic" then no one can really lay claim to that, it's like saying someone had the idea for the Ant. Those types of "standard tropes" are not the things you ask suggestions for because they're already so standard.

I will agree that someone/multiple people had an interesting idea that would have filled the same/similar role/function as the Grenadier, I was one of them after all, but those are not what the grenadier ended up being really.

Mike
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. cola_colin

I am not saying everything was or is perfect, however I am pretty sure in many instances people at Uber did take inspiration from community things. However that easily is not visible to most people in the forums and for a single individual who has given a few suggestions and sees none of them implemented it is easy to claim Uber ignored them.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Can I just point to EVERY BALANCE THREAD EVER CREATED EVER?
    cptconundrum and squishypon3 like this.
  10. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

The problem with having a game developed like PA ("openly") means that after a few months everything is suggested and discussed to death.
  11. squishypon3

And yet.... Here we are, discussing the same topics still. :p
    optimi and MrTBSC like this.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

then go find that working game and play it ... a lot of players already enjoy PA as is
    i don´t need a super ui to enjoy a game it "merely" adds a bit of extra comfort at that point ...

and we sure continue to do so even after stuff has been implemented because god knows when players stop to demand more ...
  13. TheLambaster

I said I DON'T play those other games because their UI sucks. FA is the only RTS that has decent UI. But PA had the potential to improve on that. It didn't.
    Might also not.
  14. MrTBSC

as i said ... go play that then ... i don´t care about supcom´s ui realy but it´s gameplay ... and in that case PA´s gameplay is superior to me ...
  15. TheLambaster

you don't get what I am saying. Whatever...
  16. squishypon3

"It didn't" There you go again pretending that development is over, it's not.

Might want to use some better words, please.[/QUOTE]

Might also not.[/QUOTE]

Well I'd really appreciate it if you didn't use such words in a derogatory form, you may offend someone.
  17. MrTBSC

you just may think that ...

i ask you to stop being so unnessarily aggressive ...
    Fr33Lancer and cptconundrum like this.
  18. squishypon3

Then this forum isn't a place for you, you do realize there are rules?
    Fr33Lancer and cptconundrum like this.
  19. TheLambaster

Then report me already. srsly.

What you said is pragmatically non-felicitous given what I said before. So, yea...
  20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I get what both of you are saying, and here are my thoughts:

-its off topic
    -lambaster has the patience to play a specific game daily for 30 years. congrads, you will be mostly alone on that endeavour.
    -Generally, I play PA because it is interesting to play for an RTS. Kind of like Red Alert 2. The gameplay is immersive. The combat consumes a lot of time and there is hardly idle time. It is easily moddable. Only difference is, I like longer games in Red Alert 2, because as I have the map already secure, I can just play sim base.
    MrTBSC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.