Anti nuke problems

Discussion in 'Support!' started by BallsonFire, October 17, 2014.

1. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

I'm just used to supreme commander where every anti nuke always worked instead of having to build an anti nuke station for every nuke why is that logic if it can contain 3 anti nukes? Logic would be to me that every anti nuke can intercept a nuke within a radius on time and does not even fire if it can't intercept a nuke. The whole anti nukes are unreliable atm and I think the DEVS should test with it some more to really balance it. It is not like I'm a new to this game is played PA since day one alpha and I had many problems anti nukes. When i'm playing a PA game lateley I am making like 4-6 anti nukes stations to defend my base but i still think it is a dumb system right now where you cant be sure if a nuke will be intercepted while it is in range for an anti nuke (pa is not about WW2 technology :p ).
    Last edited: October 21, 2014
  2. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

It is a bit silly indeed, why build 3 rockets if only one or two might fire. They should just increase their firing speed, all 3 missiles should go up if 3 nukes come in.
  3. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Hum, just no (with current costs).
    As explained here:
    Remy561 likes this.
  4. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Not a bug. It's a very intentional feature. You might not LIKE it, but it's not a bug.

Anti-nukes have a fire rate at the silo and then the AN missiles themselves have a travel time, giving plenty of opportunity for nuke spam to overwhelm silos.

That said, I have stopped 10+ simultaneous nukes. I tend to tell people that nuke spam is the worst way to try to win a game because it's so easy to stop and so inefficient to execute, even accounting for the faults in anti-nukes. It really just means you need more AN silos than you might otherwise think but even so, AN efficiency should allow you to protect your vitals from nuke-spam (and nuke-spamming non-vitals is an amazing waste of resources).

I really only use nukes to:
    A) Kill incoming invasions before they can drop an anti-nuke
    B) Kill unsuspecting people who forgot to build any anti-nukes at all
    C) Open a hole in someone else's defenses so I can launch invasions. I don't need to nuke their base; I just need to nuke an area free of umbrellas and catapults so I have a chance to open a gate

If your plan is to "overwhelm the enemy's vital core with nukes" then you have a pretty terrible plan and it's going to be unreliable, to put it nicely.
  5. Dexodrill

Dexodrill New Member

So question!

If I have 20 different AN stations set up near enough to cover the area targeted by 20 nukes... If the AN stations have loaded all 3 anti nuke missiles (so roughly 60 anti nukes in total), if those 20 nukes are fired at one position, are we saying the 20 AN stations will not be able to shoot them all down? Even though there all positioned close enough to the Nuke target location to prevent the hit?
    Or are we saying that the first shots fired from the AN stations would hit, however if any more nukes(past the first 20 fired) were to come in before the reload (4second reload) is done, those nukes would hit? My understanding of an anti missile set up, is to shoot down the missile before it reaches its target in the quickest possible way... so if the AN cant shoot down its nuke target...

From what I can tell, I think its fine the way it is... but it is hard for me to tell. My experience with the AN stations is rather good. Iv yet to even see my AN station fire to intercept because im usualy to busy working else ware in the system. Im just tryin to get a clear picture of whats really going on with AN stations and how its doing it. So far im hearing that you need to build 1 AN station per Nuke launcher your enemy has to counter. And if that enemy is targeting 1 spot, you need more AN Stations in the area then the nukes launched on the target spot? Unless of course the nukes are spaced out enough to let the AN station reload its interceptor missile? Im sorry I just really want to understand more about the mechanics of the game.
  6. BallsonFire

My experience is that the AN is unreliable so if you fire those 20 nukes I know for sure that a nuke will hit. A while a go played a game where some one still had Anti nuke stations filled with anti nukes while hitting it within the AN radius. I think the devs should do some testing with the anti nukes. But like most times they do not respond to this post.
  7. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I think what would make it dicey is when 2 ANs fire at the same nuke because it happens to get in range of both silos at the same time. I don't know for sure that this even still happens but I know I've seen it in the past. This is why I try to spread my ANs out. Any nukes coming to my core should have to pass several staggered AN silos rather than a single cluster. This means they can still nuke my edges but frankly if you want to spend that much metal to nuke an edge of my base (destroying probably 1/3rd of what you spent, if you're lucky) then go for it.

If there's still an anti-nuke problem, I don't think it's worth bothering over. Nuke balance is WAY better than it was last year. If you are consistently losing to nukes, I think you need to look harder at your overall strategy. When I get multi-nuked it's usually because I was slacking and not attacking when I should have. Make them nuke your invasions, your Catalysts and your Halleys and they won't have enough left to nuke your base. (And nuking these things is not a good metal trade for them.)
  8. Dexodrill

Dexodrill New Member

AH! So the AN do not work on a smart targeting system. In otherwords if 1 nuke comes in to 2 AN station range... both fire at that one no matter what. Thus if there are 2 or 3 nukes going into the 2 AN range, only 1 will be targeted by AN fire. Gotcha thank you for the details. Helps me understand whats going on here.
  9. mrguvernment

mrguvernment Member

Yes, each AN as mentioned earlier works independently, apparently you can build massive rockets to move moon's, but you can't build a smart Anti-Nuke defense with basic networking / communication between them ;) ;)
  10. BallsonFire

Thank you Uber for finally adressing this issue by upping the rate of AN fire in the latest build 76514!!
    Last edited: December 23, 2014
  11. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

This wasn't a bug to start with, and like someone else mentioned in the release thread, this balance change of AN rate of fire alone simply and purely invalidates any nuke attempt, given nuke missile cost (not even talking about the launcher)
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  12. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

Part of the problem could be that if multiple antinukes are within range of an incoming nuke, they will ALL fire... thus wasting anti-nukes.