Alternatives to Assassination Mode?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by fissure, December 18, 2014.

1. fissure

fissure Member

People, myself included, have been aching for additional game modes to Assassination, such as those in Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. As an example, the only reason I play Shared Armies so much, is because that way if just 1 commander is killed, the game's not magically over, or you don't have an army of hundreds to thousands just disappear and blow up. It's some people's thing, just not mine. Doing that just avoids the large battles and confrontations I enjoy so much, and instead of it being a game of hide and seek, sniping, or focusing your forces after just one location, it's a game of complete domination with large battles, full scale assaults, and invasions.

Is there any sort of timeline as to when these will be implemented? I can't recall anymore if they were even mentioned they would be on the dev's 'to do list' anymore since it's been so long since the Kickstarter. I guess part of my question, is 'how hard can it be to add additional win conditions?' The other question is, 'Is this a priority of yours?'

Supremecy: Once all enemy engineers, structures, and commanders are destroyed, you win.

Annihilation: All enemy units destroyed, you win.

And a weird mode I came up with:

Scavenger mode: Commanders are invulnerable to all direct damage, build twice as fast, have no weapons, but may be reclaimed. Once all enemy commanders are reclaimed, you win.
  2. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

seems like annihilation is supremacy. the scavenger one seems cool though.
  3. wafletofles

wafletofles Member

I like your ideas. However, what prevents someone from stalling the game by just sending one sole fabber to another planet?
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Supremacy is the enemy cannot build anything else, annihilation is the enemy has nothing.
    Last edited: December 19, 2014
    Engineer1234 likes this.
  5. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I would like to see a "find the banana" gamemode, where you have to search several planets for an all-powerful banana and then have your commander consume it to become the banana king, winning you the game.
    proeleert, bengeocth, mot9001 and 2 others like this.
  6. fissure

fissure Member

Unfortunately, nothing can stop that. However, by that point, hunting down the enemy should be pretty easy/fast with all your satellites, teleporters, halleys, Deathstars, unit cannons, and avengers. Late game, people can try to run, but it's easy to outmaneuver them very, very rapidly. So they'd probably be able to stall the game for a max of...idk...3 minutes?
  7. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

I think an easier answer to the would jut have the conditions be a win / loss after all factories and the commander arare destroyed. If you have lost all that I think it's incredibly unlikely that you have a snowballs cchance in he'll of turning the game around. And this negates the cheesy ill just spspam dabbers from planet to planet
  8. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I think assasination is what makes this game so good in the first place. You got a freaking awesome commander and when you lose him, you lose it all.
  9. fissure

fissure Member

It's great that we already have that mode. But not everyone likes that mode, or wants to play it every single game of PA. You have what you want, and have had this game mode from the start. However, many of us want a different game mode IN ADDITION TO assassination. People like having options. You don't see every single game being a ffa, or a team game. You see a mixture based on what different people enjoy, since everyone has different preferences.

As an example, I don't have the same preference as you, and would be just fine with an annihilation mode, and removing assassination mode entirely. However, that would make you unhappy, and it would remove "what makes this game so good" for you, but not for me. That's why having options is a good thing, and why more than 1 game mode is beneficial to the community as a whole...different preferences, and ideas for "what makes this game so good".
    proeleert likes this.
  10. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

Except with bacon and it becomes the Bacon King.
    christer1966 likes this.
  11. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Meth is a powerful drug kids.
  13. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

@jables

Jbls pls ! more gamemodes
  14. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General