[Poll] Player Profile Feature in PA (including full visible ranking)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaphys, December 8, 2014.

?

How important do you think an in-game Player Profile feature (including full rank) is for PA?

1. Very important.

21 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Important but should not be prioritised.

31 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Unimportant.

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

The issue of full visible ranks not being implemented in the game has been mentioned in several posts since the leaderboards were included some updates ago; I recently worte an extensive suggestion and feedback post for Uber (here) in which I included a description of what could be an in-game Player Profile feature that will, among several other things, resolve the issue with the full visible ranking:

Player Profiles (part of the main menu, currently missing, that allows players to see all the info about themselves and other players)
    • Suggestions of things that are interesting to show in a player profile: name, rank, stats, replays of recent games, purchased commanders, badges, achievements...
    • Individual Aspect: Being able to track your own progress is key for keeping players interested in a game whose competitive side (at the moment) offers nothing but the satisfaction of mastering the game mechanics and improving as a player. Players should be able to check their recent (last ~10 games) ranked history, both in terms of replays and stats, to see what they should focus on to improve or to simply confirm that their efforts are paying off by showing the rank progression over the last few games. Some stats that are useful and representative: position in rank level, win/loss ratio, total ranked games played, average APM, average game time for each system of the ladder pool...
    • Social Aspect:The competitive scene of PA is clearly expanding and recent developments (symmetrical planets, leaderboards with replays, etc.) aim in the right direction for making PA into a well-established competitive RTS. What really drives this development though, once the basic aspects of the game itself are covered (balance, unit diversity, in-game UI...), is the player base. Implementing a feature that allows players to look at their own profile, as well as other players', will have a dramatic impact in the player experience since they will feel as part of a big community of players that have "personality". Let me explain this idea a bit: at the moment, you log in to PA only to play games and occasionally design systems or watch replays and other players are just a name and a commander model; with player profiles, and a good implementation of the game chat, you would have the opportunity to navigate the community, checking top player profiles to look at their stats or watch some raplays, you could look for that friendly player you just met in an enjoyable game and send him/her a message and friend request, etc. Altogether, effectively crating a community inside the game.
    What do you guys make of this? Do you think implementing a feature similar to this should be a priority for Uber in the near future?
    PrinceAAwe, Yaegz, proeleert and 3 others like this.
  2. Lextoc

Lextoc Member

Although it'd be really nice to have this feature in the near future, I think it's best to leave the priority list to the actual dev team as they know what's going on behind the scenes.

Should the question be "Would you like..." the answer is most certainly yes :)

For the record: I'm not the one that voted "Not important" although my post might look like it xD
    Zaphys likes this.
  3. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

4. PrinceAAwe

PrinceAAwe Member

Yea a needed feature :) I hope they do this
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

As long as it supports animated gifs.
    emraldis likes this.
  6. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

What do you mean? Animated gifs for what?
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Profile pictures.
    Zaphys likes this.
  8. psyk323

psyk323 Member

Imo I think this could add to personal customization, and yes it would be neat, just as long as it's something simple like SC2 does. That and more colors (already available with a server mod for massive 10x10 games and what not) to choose in the looby should be implemented. I hate the fact that the green color we have is "sick green" and not "neon green".
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Maybe next update? We already have leaderboards and social features (kinda lacking though, friends list UI is buggy).

In fact, there should be an entire update on lobby simulator and this. I can see how well this idea would go with a lobby simulator update. Would be nice to see how experienced someone is when they join the lobby with a "Annihilator Since XX/XX/XXXX" :D
    Zaphys likes this.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

As long as as there is no global chat I'd refuse to say that.
    Zaphys, Bsport and killerkiwijuice like this.
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Agreed. I should have said "Minimal social features"
  12. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Any decent Player Profile implementation will require a rework on global chat and the current social stuff.
    Last edited: December 21, 2014