[REL] Epic PA

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by cola_colin, December 4, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So this is a "throw together" of a bunch of things I like and want to try:

- rescale pa with factor 0.5, so make sure you have the textures mod
    - expansionist balance changes (https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-expansionist.65524/)
    - some extra balance changes:
    • air priorities: shoot bombers and gunships first in general
    • dox acceleartion down 200 -> 150, break 200 -> 150, turn_speed 720 -> 270. Removed aa
    • aa bot added back: turn_speed 720 -> 270, move_speed 12 -> 20, range 100 -> 150, rate of fire 2 -> 3, damage per hit 25 -> 5, metal_cost 90 -> 45, hitpoints 80 -> 40
    • aa vehicle: range 100 -> 70, rate of fire 2 -> 4, missle damage 25 -> 20, metal_cost 150 -> 90
    So the aa vehicle is meant to be effective at keeping air away from slow moving tank armies, so it has low range but higher dps.
    The aa bot in turn is very high ranged, but has only 15 dps (and costs half of the aa vehicle, so effective 30 dps for the same price. The aa vehicle has 80 dps for that metal) it's meant to pick of bombers and other small air things while bots are raiding. It's vision is only 100 though, so you need to have radar or scouting vehicles.

We'll see how this plays, especially the aa changes are kinda randomized by feel xD

On pamm.

oh and the aa bot currently simply has the "error no icon"-icon
    Last edited: December 15, 2014
  2. cola_colin

updated: changed rate of fire of the aa bot from 1 to 3.
    5 dps is really really low, let's test 15 xD
    Clopse and xankar like this.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

What is their cost?
  4. cola_colin

90 metal
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Hmm veh are much better. They do much more dps to the bombers when in range than the bots do. A fly by will give 4 bots, 180 dps, whereas 4 veh is 640, and that's on the low end for veh. Seems harsh even if speed is tinkered.
  6. cola_colin

maybe I should reduce their price to the price of dox (45) so you have twice as many?
    Also I don't want them to actually kill tons of fighters. I'd like them to be able to deal with reasonable numbers of bombers. Target priorities do work for the most part, so they do shoot bombers first.
    stuart98, xankar and Clopse like this.
  7. cola_colin

Updated the mod again, now the aa bot is more like a dox with a different weapon, it has now 40 instead of 80 healthh and costs 45 metal, so very similar to the dox
    thetrophysystem and xankar like this.
  8. cola_colin

Interesting observation: I think having wrecks buffs turrets. Wrecks that gather in front of it tend to work like walls for the turret, blocking many incoming shots. The turret in turn is big enough too shoot from high above, over wrecks.
    I guess somebody should try using grenadiers in that situation, I wonder how it works out.
    stuart98 and xankar like this.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Good, new, macro ideas. 10/10, one of many "correct answers" for PA, you definitely get the concept.
    mered4 likes this.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I might have to steal some of your ideas for my own mod if they turn out good enough!
  11. PrinceAAwe

PrinceAAwe Member

nice job :3 Y not on PAMM? :(
  12. cola_colin

Added to the list of things I want to do once I have enough free time to do them.
  13. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Oh hey! Your expanding on the rescaling mod again! Did you figure out how to rescale unit speeds/ranges along with the units themselves? Is there a solution to the building margin rescaling issue? As far as epic gameplay, I would refer to a game like Wargame: European Escalation as a good guide on how to do epic battles right.

Honestly, I don't see the point in trying to make infantry act like cavalry though, I would like the tanks to be more like actual tanks, with an AOE direct fire weapon, and a secondary weapon for addressing Dox.
    Last edited: December 15, 2014
  14. cola_colin

I know how to rescale stuff like ranges, but I don't do it on purpose. I am not looking to change the gameplay with the rescale stuff.
    Also I don't know of a building grid, PA has none. They don't fit with spherical planets.
  15. Brokenshakles

Yes, but if you fail to rescale the ranges along with the unit sizes, then the smaller unit models don't mean anything since topologically the battlefield is still the same as before, you at least need to do a 1:1 scaling of the ranges and speeds with respect to unit model size changes in order for the rescaling to have a proper effect in the first place. Indeed, cutting the model size by 75% while leaving the unit speed and firing range the same effectively quadruples both the unit speed and range. This is because speed and range are described in absolute terms instead of as a factor of the unit size. This is the biggest weakness of the original rescaling mod. There is a facility for laying out buildings in arrays currently, the array margins are what I am talking about when I refer to the "Building Grid".
  16. cola_colin

My aim is not to change the pace of the game, but only the visuals. I am creating the very same "screwed up" relation betweeen unit sizes and unit ranges/speeds as SupCom has, because it visually looks a lot better -yeah that might be a pretty subjective things-
    The pace of gameplay is not my aim. I am not looking to increase the size of the battlefield, big planets are big enough. I am looking to get rid of the feeling of playing with "playmobile" kind of units that just look waaaay too big compared to i.e. mountains.

The building grid you are talking about is only something like "snap to other stuff", so it's rather fluid. Never really noticed issues with it. Maybe because I don't really care a lot about laying out my base in an ordered way. Though I would expect it to follow the sizes of units, if I did not miss something.
  17. cola_colin

on pamm now
    PrinceAAwe likes this.
  18. Brokenshakles

Cola, are things like unit speed and range stored and used as integers or floats? Also, big planets are neither big nor big enough. I understand this is a matter of opinion so I will leave it at that, but expect my own version of epic pa to come out. I think I will call it "Super Epic PA".
    cola_colin likes this.
  19. cola_colin

The numbers you are looking for are numbers in the unit json files. You can probably combine running ReScalePA and then https://github.com/pamods/TransformPA with TransformPA rescaling stuff like vision ranges and movement speeds.
    Or you can modify the ReScalePA code. Either way it is trivial. Really nothing technical stopped me from doing it, I just never wanted to do it.
    Go ahead and make a super epic pa :D
  20. PrinceAAwe

PrinceAAwe Member

Just got a chance to try this out.. Was awesome! :) Game looks so much better and it feels better too :) The wreckages were nice too hope uber brings them back.. all in all I enjoyed this mod :) Great job Colin!
    xankar likes this.