1. midnightcommand

midnightcommand New Member

Okay I am brand new to this game and am having trouble with figuring out ways to get things done faster... I recently found the Hot Key Shift to build different buildings in order as you place them and to patrol a selected region.
    My questions are:
    1. Is there any other Hot Keys?
    2. What are they?
    3. What do they do?
    4. Do you have any Tips for a NOOB?

Good Luck Commanders and Happy Hunting <3 MidnightCommand
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Go to the options menu and check out all the keybindings, every factory has keybindings, as does every fabricator.

However it'd probably be a good idea to try out the hotbuild mod. :D

The only advice I could give is never stop expanding- but that's old advice; doesn't apply anymore AFAIK. I'm a bit out of date on the balance. ^^;
    websterx01 and midnightcommand like this.
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yup, there are. The next patch (due in three days) will contain a player guide explaining more of the control concepts for PA. But right now, if you go to [SETTINGS] -> [KEYBOARD], you'll see that there are loads and loads of hotkeys as squishypon3 just mentioned. Watching videos also helps a lot. See the Videos and Replays subforum.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh if something goes horribly wrong and the game keeps crashing or something upload your DxDiag to your thread when you ask about it.
    xankar and squishypon3 like this.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Why is this in mod discussions?

To answer your question, you can view all hotkeys by going to settings -> keyboard shortcuts (or something along those lines).

For tutorials, I recommend going to pamatches.com and looking at the tutorials there along with taking a look at Elodea's cookie cutter builds.
    drz1 likes this.
  6. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

*Moved to General Discussion

With any luck you'll also get more help in that sub-forum :)
  7. squishypon3

I thought I already responded to this thread? O.O
  8. jvickers

jvickers Member

Setting factories to repeat with the infinite queue (over on the right or you can use a hotkey), building military units, and then building a few fabricators ad-hoc, by pressing the ctrl key while queueing them up, is really useful. They build ASAP, with the queue resuming once the units added with ctrl are complete.
    drz1 likes this.
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Merged two duplicate threads...
  10. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

Last edited: December 15, 2014
    midnightcommand likes this.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

That said, its more then possible to play the game with out all sorts of fancy hotkeys.

Simple knowledge of camera controls and the use of the shift key to que up orders really is the basic control needed to support mouse functionality.

I myself use only these controls when playing and find myself at the zaphod limit (the point where strategy and tactics become stronger then micromanagement) consistently against the AI and a small group of friends I play with.

Hotkeys are useful in the nature where you can set up any configuration you what to support your own capability's, and will likely help you brake that final barrier into Platinum and Uber in the games ranked system, where the execution of ones strategy can be as effective as any battlefield tactic.
  12. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Finding useful hotkeys amongst that massive list is very difficult for a new player. Ones I recommend include:

Ctrl-Z - select all units on screen matching selected type
    F - select idle fabbers
    K - pause construction of selected fabbers/factories
    L - loop (infinite) build on selected factories
    N - orientate North (if you don't have pole lock on)
    Shift 1, 2, 3 etc - store camera location
    Alt 1, 2, 3 etc - recall camera location
    Ctrl 1, 2, 3 - set control group. Very useful for linking teleporters or quick-selecting nukes.
    1, 2, 3 etc - recall control group
    D - commander Ubercannon
    S - Stop. Mostly useful for killing a build queue in the middle of construction IMO
    Alt-C - select commander
    T - focus camera on selected unit and Track
    Delete - use this on your commander just before you win for an awesome victory dance
    Clopse, squishypon3, drz1 and 2 others like this.
  13. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

I prefer using the alt-f4 victory dance.
  14. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

A bit of advice having being teaching a friend to play the last few days doing co-op games vs the AI. Don't take strategy hints from the normal level AI. They may beat you the first few games, but their build orders aren't great. The ones I saw built a few mex and some energy with their comm before factories, probably to intentionally give you some thinking time before they can start raiding. The comms also almost always walked away from the first mex they built, giving you a really easy target for early raiding.

I've not played against the more difficult AIs recently (tend to play MP only), so I can't say for certain whether this behaviour is intentional to give you an advantage, but given the overall opinion of the AI's quality I would assume so.
  15. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I don't use keybindings
  16. squishypon3

Neither do I, though I should..

Haven't been competitive since late Alpha though, so meh.
  17. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I vehemently hate keybindings, with the exception of shift
  18. squishypon3

Well OP asked what other keybinds there were, so I assume she likes them. =P
  19. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I'm still stuck on T2 rush, leveler spam and EXPAND. :p

At OP: tip: camera anchors really help.
    christer1966 likes this.
  20. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Ctrl-M - free cam. Use middle mouse to move the view, WASD for movement and R/F for up/down. You can use shift to speed up the movement
    Ctrl-P - Useful if you like look at incomprehensible numbers. FUN FACT: Before optimisation it was not uncommon to see 15 million triangles being rendered. It's five times less than that or maybe even better.
    Last edited by a moderator: December 17, 2014