The lobbies make me very angry

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, October 17, 2014.

1. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Just about big systems - there's no gameplay value in a load of large planets. Having one each of the 'special' planets (gas, metal, maybe multiple Halley) is worthwhile depending on what you're going for, but more than two standard planets seems unnecessary to me.

Of course there are some clever setups you can make, but I've yet to see one with more than five planets that has had any point past being "epic", if epic means bogging down and stalemates.
    xankar and Planktum like this.
  2. Randiebutternubs

Randiebutternubs New Member

Yeah there are waaaaaaaaaaay too many issues with the lobbies imo, they should really be the priority, I can live with naval unbalance if that means these lobbies get sorted
  3. Matster

Matster Active Member

Yes lobbys should really be a priority for fixing cause there are so many issues there. Sometimes I even get connected to a game lobby without chosing it or doing anything and sometimes even get logged into a multiplayer custom game just by going to the custom lobby. Its annoying. Not to say the countless crashes and glitches.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You are asking them to force-limit the size a lobby can load like the old days.

Know what you are asking. Please don't. If they do it, the forum's rage all falls on your head.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Post is from October, and I think the best solution now is to just add a large notification to the lobby that "Planets are loading, please wait." so people don't think their PC is on fire.
    FSN1977 and thetrophysystem like this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Oh derp lol, man necros, stop it.
    xankar and killerkiwijuice like this.
  7. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Concerning the lobby, I believe allowing a player to choose whether they automatically start loading a system when the join/create a lobby to be their choice. For myself, I'd like the option where I could choose when I'm ready to start loading a system, that way I can choose the system I want without the unnecessary lag caused by loading an unwanted system.
  8. killerkiwijuice

Going to add something else:

If the system is changed before a mod loads, the UI gets bugged for the host ONLY, and they have to rejoin. Unfortunately if you click "quit" these days you die.
    xankar likes this.
  9. sodusentinelx

sodusentinelx Member

OR:

Here is a nice fix, change the menu to host customs like this:

Multiplayer ->
    Custom -->
    - Host
    - Join

2. Host menu enables the player to choose the kind of battle he wants to play, how many players he wants and what system he wants. He can also choose wether his game is Private, Friends Only or Public and if apassword should apply. AFTER that the player presses the big shiny HOST button and the game gets in the Lobby. Players joining his game now KNOW whats going on and where they are going to play. After HOST has been pressed NO MORE changes are allowed. THIS will be the game you're playing!!!

3. The join menu takes you to the lobby we all got to know so well and let's you select the host he wishes to play with!

TADAAAA problem solved :)0
  10. dusanak

dusanak Member

Would it be possible to add some way of seeing the progress of loading the planets? I understand that it may be difficult but by seeing that there indeed is some progress, people would be more patient and wouldn't be hesitant whether it's still loading or whether it is just glitching.
  11. killerkiwijuice

Agreed, although a simple pop-up would suffice.

I think these problems will be very important to fix with the "new player" part of the next patch. New players will think their PC is messed up, while it's really just loading and lagging the UI.
  12. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

Still trying to defend the unforgivable
  13. Timevans999

I can make supcom playable at 80km That is a much larger area than anything i have seen in this game playable or not!
  14. Timevans999

Listen chap this whole game was a ruse, They are capable boys but they've bitten off more than they can chew with the coding here (doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out). My prediction is with all optimization complete the scale will still be very small.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Could you do that when it first came out? I doubt it, most people couldn't even do more than a 1v1.

We need to stop comparing games that are seven years old to ones that just recently released. Hardware has evolved.
  16. killerkiwijuice

Don't know why you're saying this game is a ruse.

The lobby system happens to be one of the most flawed parts of the game, which also probably happens to be 50% of all bugs reported.
  17. Timevans999

I wouldn't normally compare such an old game but it is a lot better than the new one
  18. killerkiwijuice

That's all based on opinion... but TA is so boring compared to PA now, for me at least. (yes I have played TA a few times, but it was also made when I was born :p)

And really, TA had what, a few years of development after release? Well PA was released a few months ago, and is even getting the unit cannon this week.
    xankar and Bsport like this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Maybe so, but only because it had 7 years of time for computers to get good enough to run it so well.
  20. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

He's now sitting at a ratio of 3.43 per post. Progress! :D