Planet & System Sizes

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Aliessil, December 12, 2014.

1. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Hey all,

I'm kinda curious .. when you're designing a new system, what kind of sizes do you go for and why? A lot of the games I've seen on Youtube are small moons - do people prefer these, or are they just for performance?

For me, I've a fairly beefy rig (2013 iMac, 16gb RAM, quad-core i7, 4gb GeForce GTX 780M), and I much prefer bigger systems. I tend to use:

- a Gas Giant (maybe 1200-1500 diam)
    - a couple of planets (500-1000 diam)
    - a couple of moons (>500 diam)
    - maybe a metal planet (600+)

As to why, there's a couple of reasons. First I like being able to advance to T2 and use super-weapons. Second (and more importantly), the landscape on most biomes becomes a lot more interesting from about 650+ diameter.

A system like that with 6-8 players .. to me that's what PA is all about!

So how about you - what kind of systems do you design and why?

Alie
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

One planet, moon, sandbox, or ice.

200 - 800 scale ;__;
    cptconundrum likes this.
  3. spdr870

spdr870 New Member

One or two planet. Radius 150 with 10 players is fun!

150 - 400 radius

I try to avoid planets with rocks/mountains/ice since they are buggy (some are invisible, some are passable)..:(
  4. squishypon3

You must have a mod enabled?
  5. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Is that because you prefer those games, or because of system limitations? I seem to remember your system specs weren't wonderful ..
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

No, it's a bug that I thought was confined to Linux, but maybe not.
    See roughly here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/build-75539-is-live.66158/page-5#post-1038689
  7. squishypon3

Ah I haven't played on Linux in a little while so I didn't know. I

Bleh PC specs. I'll be getting an incredibly beefy one in a month or two possibly. :)

Edit: Oh and I don't like multi-planet systems too much. =P
    Last edited: December 12, 2014
  8. klavohunter

klavohunter Member

I like the theory someone had that the Metal Planet should be large and devoid of metal, so you have to fight for resource-rich planets still. I got to play on a map like that once, but it ended prematurely when the worst player on the enemy team stuffed both their team's commanders into Astreuses that I obligingly sniped with about 50 space fighters.

The Gas Giant is perhaps currently imbalanced, whoever can get a grip on one and keep hold of it is going to have more money than they can spend. I reluctantly believe you shouldn't have one in current gameplay - Perhaps two, so in a team game, both sides can potentially claim a fountain of resources? Or maybe I should just remind people you can nuke gas giants?

Also, please don't make stupidly complicated orbits for your systems. It makes orbital travel/nuking/etc a pain if you do any of a long list of nasty things, like:
    - Extremely distant orbits
    - Extremely tight orbits
    - Too many things orbiting another object