Is it just me or "Commander is boring"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kryovow, December 6, 2014.

1. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Enabling collision or at least loose formations in the air layer. Air snipes are so tricky, because the Flak cannon is the only AoE defense while bombers can be stacked quite easily for virtually unlimited damage output. Unlike land unit blobs, where you can stack only so many before the back row units can't get into firing range.

Either that, or enable (small) AoE for all AA.
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

good idea.

Air collision boxes would be interesting, but it would need a lot of pathfinding tuning since bombers would have difficulties to hit their targets if they push themselves to the side... but of course it would be the most elegant solution.
    maybe bombers could be changed to more something like carpet bombers, they fly in formations and drop bombs on everything beneath them, and so in one flybye they do a lot of damage but not to a single target.
    Gunships are then the sniping aircraft.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Vannila bombers are carpet bombers.
  4. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Cloakable Commanders...
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

yeah but thats not my point
  6. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

commander needs to be faster and needs to have a better ubercannon, with slight regeneration. That'd be good enough, honestly.
  7. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

No regeneration, please.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Regeneration is the main issue preventing any commander usage for fights.
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

@ZaphodX is making a mod for that, using Commander Regeneration
  10. igncom1

Vannila bombers are carpet bombers
  11. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

light regeneration works, nothing excessive, but enough so that I shouldn't have to manually repair my commander to get him up to health.
  12. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

Individually yes. As a stack not so much.

Each bomber drops a line of bombs, but you can stack the together so you get a single line of hundreds of bombs. True carpet bombing would require the bombers to fly in a grid thus spreading the damage over a wider area. If you wanted to snipe a particular target then the bombers would have to fly in a long single file line or a cross pattern, spreading them a bit and making it a lot easier to take them out with non-aoe aa. It would also slow the damage rate on the comm to make large snipes something that aren't almost totally unavoidable (if unforeseen).

I'd like to see the change at least for bombing runs, and it makes sense in terms of suspension of disbelief. Stackable air makes some sense in general flight, they're moving in 3 dimensions so there's no reason they can pass over or under each other (maybe not 50 at a time but let's not be to picky). For bombing runs however bombers should try and use formations or cross patterns as stacked bombers should hit each other if they are above other bombers.
    iron71 likes this.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

wrong you should have to repair him ... that light regen would only be good for when your opponent hasnt attacked you for long enough say if he managed to take your comm down to 10 percent it would need like 15 to 20 minutes to fully recover ... imo that is a lot enough time ...
  14. Lextoc

Lextoc Member

Although regen for the commander would be nice to use it more aggressive, you should first deal with the main problem causing passive commanders: its health capacity.
  15. infowars

infowars Member

Really what we all want is Kommander Krogoth with his blue laser of death (that thousand yard stare).

You know, there's all those nice avatars you can select in the game which are just cosmetic? Wouldn't it be nice if they had different stats and abillities. As a mod people could play, making some slow and armoured, others fast and agile, and one with dual heavy duty gauss cannons, blue (because blue is cool) nose mounted particle laser and a backpack missile launcher who's missiles are bigger than your car.
  16. MrTBSC

no it wouldnt .. as you have to pay for them
  17. MrTBSC

what needs to be dealt with is that beside regen it should be possible to repair it a bit easier ... just so that more aggresive pushs are possible but not making the comm a bulletsponge
  18. igncom1

And you can already do that by moving the T1 bombers over targets rather then giving an attack order.
  19. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

@infowars see League of Commanders

I'm aware that you can do it. What Kryo seemed to be suggesting was that it should be the default behaviour in order to lower the single point damage of a swarm of bombers. An opinion I agree with. Planes are so much faster than any other vehicle and there is no cost for cost hard counter. Even if I have as many fighters/spinners as my opponent has fighters and bombers their speed means he is likely to still land a significant amount of damage on my comm. Only flak turrets offer any real defence and they require advanced tech. Spreading bombers by default would make them carpet bomb the area around the comm, killing of land units/buildings and damaging the comm but reducing the likelihood that only one or two passes would result in a successful snipe.
  20. Lextoc

Lextoc Member

I honestly think the main reason aggressive commander pushes are not possible because of the health capacity mainly. Getting the health back after you pushed is nice, but in the current game you don't even push with com