3D printing a commander

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by therealedwin, October 3, 2014.

1. therealedwin

therealedwin New Member

Is there a way to export the commander models? I'd like to 3D print them to have it as a knick knack on my desk at work. I'm looking for the Progenitor and Invictus models. Or if someone already has the models converted to .STL, i'd be happy to grab a copy.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You can import the papa files for those using the Blender plugin. Then you should be able to export to STL, I think.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

@zhaii has done 3d printing with the models already. He might have answers or help for you.
  4. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Indeed it can be done.

..necropostttt.. sorta
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

(Psst, this is the part where you say what you did to print them. ;))
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

Oh, right.

I used the exporter to get the .papa files into blender, then I exported that to .STL and sent it to be sliced by Makerware or Slic3r. (depending on if you want them to be S***y or not (Makerware...) lol

Actually it's been awhile since I've done it... You may have to go to .3DS first, then .STL in 3DS max.
  7. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

I've been looking for the same thing.

I've managed to export the 3D file to a 3D print service :
    http://www.sculpteo.com/fr/print/theta_commander-3/5bf4V3sQ?uuid=GEwmaNdWln58wf8KUEIOze
    http://www.sculpteo.com/fr/print/delta_commander/Scn55zep?uuid=Fv9VsQsVLB1xoNdpI2fy2c

Unfortunately I still have to find a way to move the skeleton, add a base for more stability and eventually add textures...

The linked theta model has been printed by a firend of mine and the result is correct (sorry I've no photo to share)
  8. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Is it possible for you to get a photo to share? I would really like to see it in the flesh :)
  9. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

The print was a "free sample", the commander printed here is less than 2 centimeters tall.

[​IMG]
    squishypon3, xankar and DeathByDenim like this.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Not bad, did they offer any options with polishing? I've found with my 3D prints that paying the extra 1-2$ really helping make the prints look extreme impressive and helped hide all but the worst stepping lines.

Mike
    squishypon3 and xankar like this.
  11. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

It's printed by a French compagny called Sculteo.
    It's here the very basic printing. You have polishing option and higher resolution material available.

You can find the design used here.
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Would be interesting to see what it would look like after being polished, I've done a few small prints myself elsewhere and the polishing is what really makes it look great.

Mike
    squishypon3 and xankar like this.