Is it just me or "Commander is boring"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kryovow, December 6, 2014.

1. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

He is boring.

I would like epic encounters with Commander in battle and actually he is powerful. I liked that in SupCom (FA). Right now, everyone uses the commander as builder only, which is kinda very boring.
  2. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Thers some fun mods appearing for commanders, I recommend, league of commanders had some great games with that (if you ever want a game of that ping me), and zaphod is working on battle commanders.
    xankar likes this.
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

yeah but im talking about 1v1 ladder games :)
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Risk Vs Reward.

..............And repair cost.
  5. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

That's because 6 Infernos can kill a commander. The commanders need a buff.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. igncom1

I disagree, the commander is sufficiently vulnerable to the right kinds of units right now.
    Zaphys likes this.
  7. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

Haha you should play Killander, he uses it more like a meat-shield than a builder.
  8. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

The commander could use a little bit of a health buff now that he is so difficult to repair.
    websterx01 likes this.
  9. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Maybe the commanders need a *small* buff to their weapon damage/slightly bigger buff to over charge so they can be a little more tanky vs groups, but healthwise they are already tough cookies

Whether they are "boring" or not depends on how you utilise them. I personally prefer to keep mine as base-defence
  10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I imagine some of you weren't around to witness the Commander rush? :D
  11. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

Yeah there have defos been games played on the ladder where coms have pushed forward supported by T1 tanks. You build walls as you go to cover your com and shield the dps from your tanks. Get in range of the enemy factories and you can do some nasty, nasty damage. It is risky though!
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

They are too slow, have 0 regeneration and are not even very powerful, BUT they are by FAR the best builder you have.

Yeah I'd like that to be switched around together with those changes on the t1 economy I am always talking about ;)
    xankar likes this.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am working on TeamComBuilder, to make the commander as viable as their tech limitations in combat. Tank being tank-like, bot being bot-like.

As far as vanilla, here are suggestions:

1) make the commander have 2x rate of fire, and... eh... I would say 1/2 damage, but maybe just 3/4th damage? Slight damage buff, but most importantly, a rate of fire adjust against bots. Hey, even better, how about x2.5 rof, and 1/3-1/2 damage?

2) Give them a long range 1 hit kill AA missile, with 1 hit kill AOE of a very short splash radius (2?), and a rate of fire of 0.25?

3) Give the ubercannon just 12 more splash radius, 12 more to the full-splash radius, and make full splash enough to kill tanks in 1 hit but not infernos.

4) Then, possibly divide that ubercannon damage up into 3 and give it 3 shots per "ammo bar".

5) Each ubercannon shot, should damage air. if 1 ubercannon shot per ammo, smaller splash of 8 and 1 hit kill. If 3 ubercannons per ammo bar, make it 3 hit kill and splash radius of 16.
  14. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Want com rush everytime? I don't. Even with current "Non-OP" commander some guys use com rush on "Forge" planet(ladder games).Really annoying waste time on noobs, which can't use another stuff.
  15. thetrophysystem

With boom-bots and infernos, there is no way a com-rush would be viable. You would at least have 24 boom bots or 4 infernos up and running before they made it to your base front to harass. Now, your spawn would kill them. Now, STAYING at your base front is a mild waste of his time, assuming he even has a fabber building stuff at his base. It also leaves his base weaker. And even THEN, his commander is at high risk of your units occuping him and his units, and then slipping bomber/boombots/infernos up into him.

Btw, that is REALLY my advice to you to do against ladder players that comrush you. You notice them approaching with a dox or whathaveyou, you build boombots if you have 4 bot factories, you notice them approaching with your skitter, you build tanks a ratio of 2 tanks 1 inferno, you notice him approaching while you pass overtop with air, you get more air factories up and build 20 bombers as soon as you can. The bombers is the riskiest of them, because you have to prevent him from sniping you if he has some bot factories. But if you notice boombots you can uber-cannon them.
  16. igncom1

Personally I much prefer the TA style of non-combat commander, barring the commander superweapon.

Now commanders with the ability to support in ways beyond their lathe could be cool.

Personally.
  17. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The TA commander was terrifying! A great offensive/support unit. Heck he was even your main expansion fabricator for the beginning of the game. =o
  19. thetrophysystem

Unit speeds weren't so servere back then. By that logic, he should have a speed of 8, possibly 9.

His gun was a 1 hit wonder too. If we could have offset splash radiuses, it would be nice if his shot started the edge of the explosion radius, so he could take out an army and any oncoming army units significantly following it.

He would be pretty powerful, but I doubt OP because we aren't removing the danger of a frontline sniper, we are just increasing the reward of an aggressive poke. Then, the army around a commander can follow forward and the commander can fall back before a snipe can get to him.
  20. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Really. In Ta some "PRO" could destroy like 50 flashes or 5 crusaders and etc with 1 commander D-Gun and repair him in 15 seconds then lol.