Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by akovac35, October 10, 2013.

1. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Is a notation of the speaker arrangement like 2.1, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 surround sound respectively. In the case of 5.1 it tells you there's centre channel, left channel, right channel, low effects channel (subwoofer, the point), left surround channel, and right surround channel. Where 7.1 add two back surrounds left and right. These channels allow you to add effects to the sound state. So you can have a plane flying in from the back to the front or gunshots from the site. Were your brain fills in the information. The question is does it make sense to have surround sound for planetary annihilation. Were the most the time we be stirring at icons on a planet.

5.1-7.1.gif
    P. Ramelet, (2002, Nov 6), A Prima Donna on PC: Creative Labs Audigy 2 [Online].
    Available: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a-prima-donna-pc,544-5.html

Some of the disadvantages are depending on the channel layout not a locked of material for it. When you fold the say 5.1 done to stereo artifacts can be put into it. Probably few people have 5.1/7.1 surround hookup to the computer. PA having a really small budget.

some resources:
    xiph.org foundation - A Digital Media Primer for Geeks [ep. 1 notes]
    (good primer, have to wait about a year or more between episodes {Videos})
    HD nation (good show, good information)
    Home Theater Geeks (interesting interviews and insightful with people in the industry)
    Wikipedia and Google (search around there really good resources out there)

hopefully that helps. ;)
    Last edited: October 14, 2013
  2. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

You don't need 5.1 if you're wearing decent headphones...
  3. lokiCML

yes, you don't just add this extra stuff if you do and if the mix is present.
  4. lokiCML

I didn't add to my post I believe we just having more mics around the room and mixing for 5.1 and 2.1 I think.
  5. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I actually don't care about whether the music is 5.1 surround or stereo, Sound on the other matter is something completely different. All music should only be stereo period, you dont need music being 5.1 surround. That being said, I'm really disapointed with the current soundtrack in the game, asside from the bugs ect, its about the only thing I'm actually really disapointed in, the opera like music just doesn't fit all that well in my opinion, a good mix of stuff is always good, example would be C&C Tiberium Wars, that has a good soundtrack with some really pumping tracks. The classical music just sounds terrible to me right now and I hope they change that soon and its just a stand in the current music. Another example would be Endless Space or Imperium Galactica II, good soundtracks to this sort of game (even tho ES is turn based).
  6. lokiCML

All current music in the game are placeholders. So when they go record it with is Northwest Sinfonia orchestra which is I believe sometime in the last two weeks of this month. This symphony that is doing the music is the same one that did TA and Halo well is this others. Don't really remember the date was on the last livestream they mentioned it. They also plan on allowing the player to their own music believe. Like in Total Annihilation.

The livestream I mentioned in a previous post discusses what Howard has planned for the audio.
  7. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

I was hoping to see more of Howard as time went on.
    I wanted to see more of those tech demos :(
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I don't have the right software or i'm doing it wrong but the audio I extract is of terrible quality. any help?
  9. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Not sure about the stuff in the directory, but you can find it on youtube in the meantime

the darn forum won't let me post a link as a new user but a quick google search will find it.
  10. tatsujb

thanks, dw you'll get links rights soon.
    wow grayfox did it.
    thank you grayfox!
  11. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Why not make copies of both the Synth, AND Orchestral so that people can have both? Seems fair to me.
  12. lokiCML

I don't know some having the same issue. It is in some weird format. (IMA ADPCM)
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/how-do-you-convert-fsb-to-something-playable.52847/
  13. tatsujb

14. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Don't forget there is going to be a full blown documentary. So I can only imagine how much more of everything we will see when it's done?! :D
  15. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I hope they don't mess up on the music and sounds bc it helped alot in making ta feel so epic..I would often play ta music while playing supcom and it made it feel epic again lol
  16. akovac35

akovac35 New Member

To continue this thread, now that the soundtrack is finalized: I must say that after some listening (I took time) I can say that Howard did produce an excellent piece of work. The orchestra is used well and the music is inspiring.

BRAVO Howard!