Why are we ever hosting vanilla games?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, December 3, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It's become a bit of an inside joke with him, so I thought I'd bait it. It's all in good fun. :)
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

how about letting players host whatever they want ...
  3. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

No-one is stopping you from hosting whatever you like, or joining whatever you like, that would indeed be highly annoying to individuals and damaging to the game as a whole. However, I think these type of things take critical mass to get some momentum going, they are multiplayer mods afteral, so a co-ordinated approach to create such critical mass seemed a logical idea.

The forums are likely a tiny proportion of the player-base, so even if a good proportion of those reading this thread gave this idea a shot, (shamelessly stolen name @cptconundrum ) Mod-Monday would still only result in a relatively low % of games being mods, but hopefully enough to make them viable, and to encourage the modders to greater heights. Having made some crummie mods for starcraft 2, its quite disheartening to put many hours into creating these things only to be left by the wayside.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

this thread gives a totaly wrong massage to people ...
    if you want to promote your mods ... not this way
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Just remember, everyone:

We don't make mods for fame or to feel good about how many people are playing them. We make mods to help the game, give fun toys to anyone that cares, test out our ideas in ways we can easily demonstrate, and really just to give ourselves the mods we want to play. I think it shouldn't matter whether our mods aare popular as long as enough people play them to make it fun for us. Mod Monday would be a good way to get the people that care about mods all in the same place at the same time.
    wpmarshall and squishypon3 like this.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That's not to say we don't appreciate downloads and the users of our mods however. :)
    Nicb1 and cptconundrum like this.
  7. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah this massage rubs me the wrong way. Hope we can work together to get a happy ending. :p
    stuart98, cptconundrum and Alpha2546 like this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Not sure if serious, kind of hope you are. Not because I am a jerk, that isn't the reason I like this.

I like this, because it was an idea for an actual community effort. That was a nice thought, effective, yet something nobody does anymore because individuality splits everyone.

So please. Go ahead and make every "pa channel" named to modded on certain days. Making a community routine is an awesome idea.
    I thought the message was "vanilla is borked, why the **** not?", just in case the "why not" for anyone at this point is "I just don't know better" or 'I am lazy".

No, just play mods, life will be much better.
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I will be participating in next week's Mod Monday.
  10. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Realise this is a late reply, but just to be clear I didn't mean their support for modders: everyone says that is fantastic. I mean support for your average user who knows nothing about computing and likely never researches a game beyond booting it up from steam. In other words, a big majority of the playerbase.

Uber said there would be in-game support for managing and publishing mods during kickstarter. I'm not going to complain about 'broken promises', I think uber's achievement has been phenomenal, but until this comes modding will remain a niche interest.

I think an in menu mod manager should be one of Uber's top priorities: the amount of variety, usability and replay ability mods add is enormous and most of the playerbase are missing out on this.

EDIT: ok just re-read this thread, looks like I posted without reading recent replies like a big idiot. Mod Mondays would be cool!

My reply is kinda superfluous now, but I spent time writing it so I'll leave it there anyway.
    Nicb1 and squishypon3 like this.
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Nicb1 likes this.
  12. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

For me the downside is that I don't know whats modded in a modded game :)
  13. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Potentially, it all depends on my essay and my family situation right now.
  14. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Pfff it's not called Mod Monday MAYHEM, so lame ! :p
    lokiCML and squishypon3 like this.