Control Sub Commander

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by MrPiggy54, June 3, 2014.

?

Are these a good idea?

1. Yes

53.8%
  2. No

46.2%
  1. MrPiggy54

MrPiggy54 New Member

Sub commanders are great and all but eventually after the sub commander takes over a planet it just remains there producing thousands of pointless units that don't go through a teleporter, so i was thinking that is might be nice to control the sub commanders so you don't waste framerate and resources; this is just a suggestion. Another idea is to have the option to automatize your fabrication bots so you don't have to manually give them new commands while juggling lots of other things.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

If you can control the sub commander... then it's just like playing the Army game mode with 2 commanders and 1 player.

The issue you speak of is an AI intelligence issue. The AI doesn't currently know how to use teleporters or assess threats across multiple planets. It will be able to soon, so all those units will hop planets and travel through teleporters.
  3. MrPiggy54

MrPiggy54 New Member

ok thx, and is it going to be a possible feature that AI will detect when to stop producing units? just for framerate purposes.
    ahrimofnor likes this.
  4. ahrimofnor

ahrimofnor Member

I dont know if you already got this answer but the reason why subcoms are not behaving up to level you want them to is for a couple of reasons.
    1) There is still some major bugging with their build order and how they function. See the first Zaphod playthrough of GW I think when Uber was telling Zaphod to go negative on power as it could cause your AI buddies to try and fix this by building mass pgen. Kinda cool to see but it shown how the AI is still kinda broken as of now but I have full confidence in Sorian to get it back on its feet.

2) making subcomms player control ruins the gamebalance as you could easily just rush the AI with your two or three commanders and win ezpz. -.- Yah, by putting in stops against that sort of play Uber is trying to force you to play each GW fight as a standard RTS fight rather than as a cheesefest.

Personally, I think subcomms are rather broken and OP as none other in the current build but a very cool concept. I would like to see them stay but they will just need to be reworked quite heavily.

EDIT: You're idea as to the AI responding to framerates and such is very cool. Uber is looking to put in suggestion buttons for your AI buddies in that you can sorta kinda give them guidelines as to what they should be doing at any point in time and one of those should probably be to "just do nothing" which would fit in with your idea quite nicely. Good suggestion.

However, this functionality kinda gets broken in GW multiplayer as miserably slow frames for one team member could be still be high frames for another which could lead to a confused / ineffective AI buddy. In this case, I feel as though the AI commander in multiplayer GW is still more of a balance issue than a lacking functionality / AI interface issue
    Pendaelose and siefer101 like this.
  5. Imsvale

Imsvale Active Member

That will take care of itself once it starts using the units properly. They won't just pile up anymore.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  6. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Nuke is best method of controlling them, well rather 2 nukes. If those little sneaky mex stealers make too many units i usually send them to robotic heaven.
    MrPiggy54 likes this.
  7. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

I would rather have the option of building a seed AI unit, that behaves exactly like the subcommander except it's a basic construction vehicle not a commander, (so no suicide rushing) it shares my resources, and I can send commands to all its units.

That way I can leave it to colonize a planet, and utilize anything it doesn't use properly. Or if I wish not build it at all on a given mission.
  8. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

inb4 necro gif
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

While I'm not for direct control of sub-commanders... it would be pretty sweet if we could give them orders. Thinking, focus land/sea/air/orbital. Attack this area/planet. Stuff like that.

Edit: Also, landing zones.
  10. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

it would help if i could link teleporters with AI, one of the most frustrating things is when an AI successfuly lands and builds a teleporter, they dont actually use it for quite a while, in which the enemy promptly destroyed the teleporter =(