Upcoming Update: New player experience and a bit more...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, December 2, 2014.

1. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I really hope they open small parachutes and land.. would be so cool!
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Would be a bit out of place in my honest opinion. :p
    Planktum likes this.
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

or fall like meteors, slamming into the planet, and the armies coming out of their drop-pods or whatever on landing
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  4. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

Did Brad leave? What did I miss!?
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

He was part of the layoffs a month or so ago.
    Same with garat. @jables is doing their work now basically.
  6. cptusmc

cptusmc Active Member

[​IMG]

GUYS ....

I'M SOOOOOO EXCITED, AND I JUST CANT HIDE IT.

[​IMG]

I'M MARKING THIS ON MY CALENDAR!
  7. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Someone is going to be happy about this.

Is there some type of.. list thing where it shows who was dropped? I have no idea who's new and who's not here anymore, I even saw @tvinita in Zaph's twitch stream the other day. Never heard of this name before then, and it's only been mentioned four times on the forums. Wait. this makes it five times. oops

I thought for a second your sig of superman was part of your post, and I'm sitting here thinking..
    That's a bit excessive for marking your calendar, sir. Just a bit.
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

tvinita has been around for a very long time.
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Shoot, I thought that name looked familiar. I got a ranked match against him during a previous PTE.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Is that your definition of very long or has he just renamed himself partway through?
    [​IMG]
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Weird. I thought I saw him in playtests and livestreams way back.
  12. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

I'm guessing they're one of the 'new' group of devs that were hired back then, and so happens to be one of those that hide in the background and prefer not to post on the forums? Maybe.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

.... *whispers* multiunittransports ... naval teleporters and hovercrafts ...

AWESOME!
  14. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

In PTE soon you say?
    :cool:

how soon?
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  15. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I don't think a full list was made public. Brad, Garat, Metabolical, an artist, and at least one more person had to leave. I will never be able to get over it. I miss Brad and Garat the most. Jables though, he does do a good job replacing Garat (patch notes, Pte stuff).
    drz1 and devoh like this.
  16. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

That's extremely encouraging to see. I'll be honest, and say that I had mentally written off getting the Unit Cannon. I thought that there may have been a strong possibility that the mixed reviews on release would force you guys into having to develop more basic features like tutorials, saved games, offline, ladders etc. for a while, and that new features like the Unit Cannon were off the table. I'm pleased to see that you've got enough of those more common features done to the point of being able to contemplate more interesting ones. It's features like the Unit Cannon that made me back this game in the first plac, and getting it in-game would most likely bring a number of people back to taking another look at PA.

If I may make one suggestion, I think that the game really needs some framework for firing ballistic projectiles between worlds. At the moment, only staged projectiles can go between worlds, flying as though constantly under active control and guidance. Having the ability to launch dumb ballistic projectiles in the game would allow a whole host of new features. I recognise that plotting a single arcing trajectory from a point on one planet to a point on another is not trivial, but it is certainly solvable in a limited system such as PA (compared with real life). There are things that we discussed doing with RCBM that having a ballistic framework would allow, and a large number of interesting game additions that we would be able to bring about.

Either way, this certainly has my attention, and I look forwards to seeing how it turns out.
    cwarner7264, lokiCML and stuart98 like this.
  17. squishypon3

The pods seem to have rockets, on them. Therefore we can assume they're fires into orbit by the cannon and them excellerate wherever they would like to go. Especially now that we're told it'll be completely interplanetary. :/
  18. YourLocalMadSci

The question is, are those thrusters meant for fine tuning a mostly ballistic trajectory, or for actively controlled staged flight the entire way. I hope not the latter, as it's a missed opportunity and it makes my physics gland hurt. But if that is the case then so be it.
  19. squishypon3

Just tell yourself they're gymbal rockets. :D
  20. YourLocalMadSci

Gimballing doesn't manufacture delta-V.

And as I said, the physical inaccuracy is only part of the issue. I'm perfectly happy to overlook physical inaccuracy if adhering to physics results in an unwieldy and boring game. My main issue is that this is a great opportunity to add a whole hose of interesting new tools to the game where inspiration drawn from orbital mechanics can create some really cool things. This is why I don't think sticking with the current system is bad. It's just a missed opportunity to do something more interesting.

If Uber is going to get this out near the 18th, then I can understand why they need to stick with an already existing solution. However, I would like to see a more interesting one developed in the future. Unfortunately, that may be unlikely if the developer have bigger fish to fry.