[SUGGESTION] Metal Planet Subsystems (with art!)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Crembels, December 3, 2014.

1. Crembels

Crembels Member

Hi there boys and girls,

I love the concept of actually using the planets as weapons, both as an Annihilaser and as KEWs, but It seems a little funny that the ridiculously advanced civilization of the Progenitors would build these humongous artificial worlds just for firing a big laser.

So im sure everyone come across the square hole present on the equator of every metal planet, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

So to give the Metals some flavor, provide a twist to the strategic metagame and make more than just the poles the most valuable part of a Metal planet, i propose that this space be filled in with a randomized subsystem that will provide a nice boost to whatever side controls it.

[​IMG]

Multi-Site Remote Extractor Assembly
    Artificial planets have no natural resources, but their frequent use as manufacturing and refinement hubs caused fierce competition for lucrative shipping contracts, ferrying raw materials to their forges in a quick and timely manner.

On the outbreak of the Century War, the massive fleets of cargo ships were quickly proving to be both horribly obsolete and risky means of feeding the Progenitor war machine during the war. The introduction of efficient, scalable teleporter technology paired with automated mineral extractors meant that artificial planets could effectively mine and transport raw materials from all across their sector straight to the belly of the forges.

Reactivating these extractor assemblies will cause countless dormant robotic miners to churn awake once more, causing an outpouring of useable mass.

BONUS: Destroying planets in the system will reduce the effectiveness of the structure.

[​IMG]

OmniSilo
    Quantum compression modules similar to the current Mass and Energy silos, these huge units were built within systems that found themselves the victims of freak stellar phenomena that could isolate systems for months at a time.

A hairs breadth away from violating the Pauli Exclusion Principle, these deceptively unassuming devices are capable of storing a staggering amount of matter and energy for any force that considers it prudent to keep a small moons’ worth of reserve materials in the event of a rainy day.

[​IMG]

Stellar Core
    Wireless power transmission was a common technology in the progenitor coalition. Because of the obvious lack of natural resources due their nature, artificial worlds were often the exporters of energy generation to the natural planets in their orbital neighborhoods, leading to the creation of gigantic, modular fusion reactors that would satisfy the energy demands of an entire planet.

The civilizations that were fed by these colossal cores have long since crumbled into dust, but these miniature suns remain in working order.

Catalysts
    Now, much like the difference between structures that can be built on both Land and Sea, a good way to make this work is that this should apply to the Catalyst building as well. Each of the subsystems would have their own ports like the Annihilaser does, and all 4 are needed to bring the subsystem back to life. The system itself is indestructible (except for planet smashes).

If possible the catalyst should also change price to reflect that in using these subsystems you are building a much smaller device, so the cost of a Subsystem Catalyst should be less than half a Pole Catalyst.

I have planned out 5 subsystems in total and have the art done for 3 of them. The other two are the "Haphestus Prototype Forge" and "Millenium Portal" and you can probably guess their functions from the names alone. I have the lore text written out for all 5, but feel that these first 3 are the easiest to stomach. If everyone's interested i can get the other two done as well

Opinions and thoughts? :3
    elodea, Remy561, sierra159 and 10 others like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

3. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Yes please
  4. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

YES! I love those ideas (shares some similarity to some ideas I had earlier as well, but a lot more fleshed out). Great post crembels. Good job with the concept art too.
    Last edited: December 3, 2014
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Would totally be moddable if we had access to custom features. Unfortunately we do not :(.
  6. toric55

toric55 Member

wow. just wow. awesome idea, i just hope that no one ever makes spawns on a metal planet ever again...
  7. emraldis

Why not? I think spawning on a metal planet is much more fair then spawning on a non-metal planet with one in the system. It's much harder to lock it down in that case, or at least while not winning the game at the same time...
  8. toric55

toric55 Member

I'm just thinking about the advantage you would get i you were the only one that spawned on the metal planet.
  9. emraldis

oh, in THAT case. yeah, I agree. But I think it should be EVERYONE spawns on the metal planet, or no one does.
  10. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I'm tenaciousc and I approve this message.
  11. Crembels

Crembels Member

Glad to see that people like this idea as much as i do.

I also appear to be mistaken that the Metal planets always have the cross formation on their equators, i just played a game where it wasn't there... so i guess the subsystems wont always be available.