Why are we ever hosting vanilla games?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, December 3, 2014.

1. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I had no idea that this existed until today.

And the reason no one plays modded games is simply because there's absolutely no in-game support for it. There's no hint of modding on the main menu, and even modded games in lobby don't have any big flag saying 'look, I'm using a groovy mod called this'.

Until more direct support for modding is put in game by uber, modding will remain a fringe interest: the vast majority of players simply won't realise what's out there. This is a great pity, especially since uber promised in-game mod support, but that's the truth of it.
    Nicb1 and tatsujb like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Uber has amazing modding support, easiest answer is how units, weapons, ammo, and etc..I are set up. Just take a look at how to mod TA, then compare it to PA. =P
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

They have pretty much everything except actually making an in-game mod manager, which we've been asking for a LOOOONG time.

Uber pls.
    Nicb1, tatsujb and squishypon3 like this.
  4. squishypon3

Exactly!
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am not 100% sure of the security implications of that. But I guess at least a call that directly opens forums URLs (like there is one for youtube or twitch) would be really helpful.
    Basically the lobby would see "oh a url to the forums", extract the thread/post id and call "open forum with this thread/post id" to open the forums and only that, so you can link the forums ingame.
    @jables
    cptconundrum likes this.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Meatspin.
    cptconundrum and squishypon3 like this.
  7. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Modding plans: ;)
    Not sure what's going on with them especially after the layoffs.:(
    Last edited: December 3, 2014
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Bu... The Community Uberbalance just removes Dox AA, cheapens grenadiers to useful massable like bots are supposed to be, cheapens combat fabbers to be useable, buffs naval, and makes t2 more common and less massive upgrade but otherwise they do the same thing but each unit does it 1/5th weaker and you can afford 5-6 units.
    Oh, Oh:
    -Observer has "require energy" as a parameter, where the view distance of a unit ceases upon energy crash, Observable needs it too for stealth units >.<
    -Observable changing on weapon fire perhaps as well?
    -Units with 2 or more weapons using the ammo system, will crash when they fire, please fix.
    -Units using the ammo system specifying a storage, consumption, and demand, and the ammo resource is "infinite", still doesn't show consumption. Basically, I would like a unit to have the rate of fire of 4, an ammo storage of 8 and shot-consumption of 1 and demand of 1, and it fire 8 shots rapidly then fires 1 shot a second. As if it were using an "ammo", except not using "energy" or "metal" which are the only options which don't lead to it going full autorapidfire with no ammo limit if using infinite. Infinite should be capable of "storage" and "buildup" too just without using "metal or energy".
    -Designating units as "spawn with gamestart" and how many spawns per game start somehow. Not sure on this, could be a reference in their thisunit.json, could be a reference in the base_commander that spawns, could be in game start.
    -Designating what happens on commander death, like game over, and army suicide, and such. Either on the unit, or on the game_start.json or whatever.
    -More unit_types and more AT for players to use. Armor Types, that is. You know. We only have limited to ones that exist being used by Uber already, like scout, commander, basic, advanced, fabadvbuild, yadda yadda. At least make custom1, custom2, custom3, custom4, custom5, and junk so we can use those for factions or whatever.
    -make s-move customizable, where you can change from air to land, or land to air, or air to orbital, or orbital to air, or orbital to land, land to orbital, ect.
    -Apply effects through weapons. Like reduce speed, by percent or whole number. Or reduce vision. Or change ownership for time period or permanent. Stuff like that.
    Last edited: December 3, 2014
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

because noone goes to find mods on their own.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what modding is. You have to see it for yourself.
    Modders are trying to free your mind, but they can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it"
  10. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

If there is a problem find a solution.

As a community we can decide to say that Mondays and Tuesdays are mod days, and all agree in principle to host at least one modded game if we play on those nights. If then half the games on the list are modded, a greater proportion of the players get introduced to mods. If the new players like the mods then momentum builds.

You need critical mass – take an example with spurious numbers - if you are unsure about mods and there are 10 games up in the lobby, and only one is mode, you join one of the other 9 choices. If you are unsure about mods and 5 of the 10 games are modded, you may try to join one of the other 5, but you may have no choice but to join a modded one, or create your own.
    The power is in our hands
    Vive la Revolution!
    lokiCML likes this.
  11. cwarner7264

BRB, banning vanilla games from Realm teamspeak
    lokiCML, emraldis and squishypon3 like this.
  12. squishypon3

And what would a thread do to change that? Why would they click a thread that has to do with mods in the general discussion as apposed to click the entire subforum?
  13. tatsujb

you really don't see??

It's the same debate as imposed global chat vs opt-out global chat.

bringing mods in the faces of people who would have otherwise never known modding existed is giving the gift of a whole new breath for PA and a new way to experience it.

(also the sub-communities of each mod are dying for members)
  14. squishypon3

A global chat would be completely different! I know that'd let players tell others about mods, but you seem to forget that most people don't even visit these forums in the first place, we both know it'd barely be if at all effective. I don't see how it'd help at all honestly considering that if someone starts at the pa forum and gets the list of subforums and decides to ignore the modding forum why would they opt into opening up a modding thread in the gd, why wouldn't they ignore it too?
  15. tatsujb

I don't know how you can come to such a conclusion.

I honestly think you've let yourself get carried away with maintaining your ground, this argument doesn't hold up.

people don't bother to go over to the modding forum because one sub-forum is already a mouthfull.

Would you say I'm an moderate to low forum user?

and even though I'm the pro-est pro-mod person there is do you see me browsing the mod subforum often?

As a guy who can eat a butt-ton of forum content in a day I find myself overwhelmed with browsing more than one subforum.

I think this should speak volumes for why keeping (the entire) mod (community) in their own quarters like this is damaging for that sub-community.

people don't filter out results in a subforum.

I don't at least. I read everything on page one. and mostly the top threads (no matter what subforum I am on at the time). I think many here can relate.

the thread wouldn't go unnoticed, trust me.
  16. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

"Mod Monday" could actually be a good trend. We can try to get all the Twitch streamers to get in on it too.
  17. squishypon3

Community pls.
  18. cwarner7264

So on this
    lokiCML, squishypon3 and cptconundrum like this.
  19. squishypon3

So, when's Statera going to show up?

Huehuehue.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

NO SQUISHY WAT ARE YOU DOING