Unfair Matchmaking!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xnightangelx, November 30, 2014.

1. xnightangelx

xnightangelx New Member

Hey,

Well this is what happened:
    I had to play vs an Uber guy (I'm gold) and unsurprisingly I lost.
    This is really unfair.. :(

Matchmaking should be selecting 2 people with the same rank!
  2. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

perhaps there was noone elese on at the time of your rank and this was the closest it could come up with?
    mjshorty likes this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

It looks like the matchmaking system picks based on rank, but if there is no other uber person looking for a match, it will match them up to anyone else it finds
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It doesn't show your rating as of now, but I am pretty sure it did not cost you much points to lose.
    So all that happens is that you learn :)
  5. xnightangelx

xnightangelx New Member

That sucks for the guys with a lower rank..
  6. cola_colin

Depends. The higher ranked player will lose a lot of rank if they lose. You in turn lose very little, but you can gain a lot if you win.
    pieman2906 and Bsport like this.
  7. xnightangelx

xnightangelx New Member

The probability that an uber will lose vs a gold is extremely low
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Everyone who is currently Uber at one point was even bronze. It basically takes winning all your original set up games to get Uber. :p
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It happens sometimes. Before the ladder reset I got three games in a row against someone. I easily won the first two and decided to try a new build for the third. My build was awful and this guy learned a lot from our first two games. He completely destroyed me and I fell far down the ladder.
  10. cola_colin

It's a painful truth: You learn the most if you get utterly annihilated, at least if you are watching the replay afterwards, shamelessly copying everything your opponent did to you.
  11. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

If being repeatedly utterly annihilated was all it took I should be a PA master by now. :p
  12. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Exactly. I am 4k in points at Gen on SSF4. So, I play a lot of 6-8k players, a letter grade above. One time I played a Guile, got corner-killed literally a match and a half in a row, and somehow in second match cornerkilled him and in the third match juggle-killed him. So, I actually won, and he was B+ with 8k rank.

Point is, if I lose, I literally lose 1 point. Literally. They literally gain 1 point. It is hilarious. If I win, which very rarely I can against a really top tier, I get like 400 points and they lose like 700. Ouch...
  14. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

How can you tell what rank your opponent is? I really hope there is more transparency planned (i.e. full leaderboard visible, and badges or preferably exact rank number next to a player's name).
  15. xnightangelx

xnightangelx New Member

he/she told me :)
    he/she asked me what rank I am and then I asked him/her ^^
  16. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Thanks for sharing that.

When making or implementing an algorythm I look for numbers like the later for execution times. But it seems with matchmaking numbers can get too small.
    We programmers have the fun choice between exponentially* growing costs or being too effective for our own good.

*And I mean that literally.
  17. Zainny

Zainny Active Member

Agree.

While it's all well and good to say "You learn best by getting destroyed by your opponent" there is also a fun factor to consider. I'm not playing PA to be the best in the world - I'm playing PA to have fun...and if I'm getting paired with people ranked much much higher than me constantly and getting crushed, I'm just going to stop playing. I imagine it's also not much fun for the higher ranked player.

I would rather wait an extra 5 mins for someone of my rank to join than just get constantly paired with much higher ranked players.
  18. squishypon3

It should pin you against someone slightly better than you so you get a slight challenge.

Also if you're playing for fun, why play ranked matchmaking? :p
  19. cola_colin

constantly it would be weird, but sometimes stuff happens :)

Because they are fun?
  20. squishypon3

Well yes, but fun is subjective. If he cares about rank and just wants to have a game without dealing with rank ranked matchmaking probably isn't the bbest idea for him. I'd suggest Uber implement unranked matchmaking playlists.

*couch* Halo, *cough cough*